DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I just wanted to say thanks to all the posters who frequent this board. I have found some immensely helpful information here since I started researching the whole HD thing.

So, I got the new Slim-Line dish and HR20-700 installed last night. Generally speaking, I am pleased with the install. One thing I noticed last night, after flipping through channels for awhile, it seems like things went a little haywire. Everything would be working fine, but if I changed channels a little too quickly, it seemed to cause problems.

For example, the UNLV-Texas Tech basketball game last night. At one point, it was showing the Cal-Texas A&M football game on that channel, even though the guide still showed the correct information. Another example, at one point the DiscoveryHD channel was supposed to have a show about Volcanoes, but it when I selected that channel, it was showing a movie with Bruce Willis!!

One other thing I noticed, during this same time, I was trying to compare ESPN and ESPNHD, the regular ESPN channel was gone, with just the “Searching for Signal” message.

I did the RBR, and that fixed everything, but I had to do it twice last night. Could this just be initial "out-of-box" annoyances that will go away?

Sorry for rambling on! HD Newbie here… :grin:

· Godfather
343 Posts
Nope, that's normal, I just had mine installed 12/22, and mine does the same things.....in fact you're lucky you only had to reset it once...in the first 24 hours I reset mine 3 times...:(

But I have faith that they will fix it, eventually.

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info...

Quick update:

Called D* a little while ago when it started acting up again. I was missing basically half of my standard def channels. Just randomly... anyway, when I went to the test channels, 490 was fine, but 491 was "Searching for Signal." CSR asked me to check the other boxes in the house; they were fine. So, he narrowed it down to the new box, and set up an appointment for me for Tuesday. Guess we'll see...

Also, side note, I asked about the HDMI cables and CSR replied that it is basically "up to the installers" if they use HDMI or Component, and that there is "little difference" between the two except that HDMI is more convenient because it carries Audio as well. So, I asked him to put in the notes that I would like to have one so I can see for myself. Hopefully they will show up with one next week.

· RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Warbird2 said:
there is "little difference" between the two except that HDMI is more convenient because it carries Audio as well. .
Hahahhaaaahaha, bull hockey!

· Godfather
438 Posts
You may also have been experiencing some scrambling or delay if switching between programs that were of different resolution, ie 720p to a 1080i, or 480i to 720p. You may have to play with some of the "native" settings on the box or the tv, untill they play nice together they way you want them to.

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so here is an update from my original post; today was my service appt:

Talk about a comedy of errors! So, when I originally called in to D* last Thursday, after having the problems with the new box, they walked me through a series of troubleshooting steps that pointed to the new box as the problem:

• Other boxes working fine
  • Signal strength is good, just losing channels on the new one randomly.
  • Not recording shows correctly (just a black screen)

So, the technician arrives today just after 1 PM, and brings NO box, nor the HDMI cable that I asked them to bring out. He said they "weren't allowed to carry the HDDVR boxes on the van." :rolleyes: And, there was an "audit" today at his company so they could not get in to get new supplies (i.e. my HDMI cable). So in a nutshell, he plays with the remote for a few minutes and comes to the same conclusion, the box is bad. Says he has to call in, so I give him my phone. He's on hold for 20 minutes, finally gets through and explains the situation. Then, he gets transferred to the "correct department."

At this point, he hands me the phone, writes his name and tech # and the direct line to D* on a sheet of paper, and says he has to get to his next job, but that if I just wait on the line, they should take care of everything. Needless to say, it's now 3:45 and I am sitting on hold having gone through the following sequence of events:

(I had to get off the initial call after another 20 minute hold to take care of some things)

• First call to direct # he left me, wait 10 minutes, get transferred to "correct" department.
  • Another 10 minute hold in between, then informed I was still at the wrong department.
  • Another 5 minute hold then, CLICK! Yep, disconnected. :nono:
  • Call back to regular D* 800 #, transferred to "correct" department.
  • Another 10-15 minute hold, then told I need to speak to technical support, not installations.
  • Ok, another 15 minutes hold, get transferred to Tech support, explain entire situation again (for the 5th time) and I still sit on hold. Was told by CSR that ahe needed her manager to do this because it was "advanced equipment."
  • :lol: LMAO, after a SOLID 15 minute wait for that CSR, I hear the "beep, beep, beep" of the transfer dialing and, yep, another CSR picks up "can I have the name on the account?" ARRRGHHHH!!!!!!

This is a freakin' debacle. This is eerily similar to why I bolted from Comshaft...

Can anyone explain to me WHY the tech just didn't bring my new box in the FIRST PLACE?!?! :mad::mad: :mad:

· AllStar
85 Posts
Warbird2 said:
(I had to get off the initial call after another 20 minute hold to take care of some things)

• First call to direct # he left me, wait 10 minutes, get transferred to "correct" department.
  • Another 10 minute hold in between, then informed I was still at the wrong department.
  • Another 5 minute hold then, CLICK! Yep, disconnected. :nono:
  • Call back to regular D* 800 #, transferred to "correct" department.
  • Another 10-15 minute hold, then told I need to speak to technical support, not installations.
  • Ok, another 15 minutes hold, get transferred to Tech support, explain entire situation again (for the 5th time) and I still sit on hold. Was told by CSR that ahe needed her manager to do this because it was "advanced equipment."
  • :lol: LMAO, after a SOLID 15 minute wait for that CSR, I hear the "beep, beep, beep" of the transfer dialing and, yep, another CSR picks up "can I have the name on the account?" ARRRGHHHH!!!!!!

This is a freakin' debacle. This is eerily similar to why I bolted from Comshaft...

Can anyone explain to me WHY the tech just didn't bring my new box in the FIRST PLACE?!?! :mad::mad: :mad:
Take a deep breath! I know the frustrations with CSR's. Once you get a good box installed, the PQ is great, and I have had little problems. I've got two installed, and love them.

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Warbird2 said:

In most cases the techs/installers are only issued standard IRD refurbs. No HD, no DVR and no HD DVR refurbs. Those come straight from D.

It is extremely frustrating for us as well to go through all the "troubleshooting" steps in the CSRs script just to convince them to send out a fraking box. :mad:

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I have had a night to calm down and forget about it, for the most part.

Thanks for the info, RobertE... I still don't understand it, I mean, if they are 99% sure it is the box, why not bring one just in case, ya know? Anyway, I appreciate the info.

In the end, they offered to extend my free HD content to six months, and knocked the final two payments ($99 each) off for the HDDVR box. Hopefully, the one being FedEx'd to me will be a winner!

Thanks again all...

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just thought I'd post a quick update. The replacement HR20 700 seems to be working well. One thing that struck me as interesting, the new one had a little yellow sticker on the side that said "HDMI." And inside the box, sure enough, was an HDMI cable. I've never seen one come with it in the box like that.

Anyway, here's knocking on wood that this one stays good!!:righton:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.