DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Icon
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the HR20 installed, and it seems to working as advertised but the one big issue I'm having is bad audio syncing issues. Some of the channels are just sligitly off, while others, such as my local HD FoX channel is VERY noticible to the point of annoyance. I am usind HDMI for the picture but using toslink (optical) cable for sound as my receiver doesn't have HDMI. I tried going to list and back out as suggested in the Tips and Tricks document but that didn't seem to do the trick. Also tried swapping out optiical cable with another one, didn't matter. So what could cause this. Would I be better off foregoing the HDMI cable and using componant? How much picture quality would I lose?

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
I have always had the audio synch problem that you are experiencing. I have continuously posted about this problem but it never seems to get addressed. There is more concern over adding new features (ie OTA) rather than fixing the bugs that already exist.

The newer features like OTA and networking are going to lead to a whole new batch of bugs and the audio synch problems that we have might never get fixed.

·
Icon
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HDTVsportsfan said:
Do you know if you have received any software updates yet?
When it first booted up, it did a number of upgrades, but I know it didnt' do the last one.

·
Icon
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sgconer said:
I have always had the audio synch problem that you are experiencing. I have continuously posted about this problem but it never seems to get addressed. There is more concern over adding new features (ie OTA) rather than fixing the bugs that already exist.

The newer features like OTA and networking are going to lead to a whole new batch of bugs and the audio synch problems that we have might never get fixed.
I would agree, but to those who don't have any OTA locally, I'm sure it's a HUGE issue.

it's the one thing I loved about the D*Tivo. It just ran flawlessly out of the box

·
Mentor
32 Posts
I have had sync issues via HDMI from jump when I got my HR20 6 months ago. I have the current update (forced via Santa) and still sync issues. It is ever so slight and is mostly on ALL hd channels but noticable to me.

TV is Panny TH-50PX600U (love it btw). There is a firmware update for this panny via the SD card slot in the front. I'll probably try that and see where it takes me but who knows.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
Steveknj said:
I just got the HR20 installed, and it seems to working as advertised but the one big issue I'm having is bad audio syncing issues. Some of the channels are just sligitly off, while others, such as my local HD FoX channel is VERY noticible to the point of annoyance. I am usind HDMI for the picture but using toslink (optical) cable for sound as my receiver doesn't have HDMI. I tried going to list and back out as suggested in the Tips and Tricks document but that didn't seem to do the trick. Also tried swapping out optiical cable with another one, didn't matter. So what could cause this. Would I be better off foregoing the HDMI cable and using componant? How much picture quality would I lose?
I dont think you will see any difference. The audio sync issues are present using HDMI or component ... using optical or RCA (L-R) audio. Usually the local MPEG4 channels are the worst. DTV continues to "blame" things like "we are not able to control the new MPEG4 compression, and have to deal with issues like this because it is encoded incorrectly at the source" Bla Bla Bla.

The only answer is to call DTV support and demand them to compensate you until they fix their issues. Demand not to pay for HD channels. Demand not to pay for the HR20. This is no excuse that we should pay for things that dont work. I have gotten DTV to pay for my HR20, and the HD channels for a year. Hopefully within a year they will fix this issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.