DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thing I noticed is the info bar and system menus are a bit blurry. It threw me off at first and made me think there was something wrong with the cable or tv. On my previous receivers the menus and guides were always crystal clear and sharp.

Second thing I noticed is the lag between channel changes. This is annoying as heck and will take awhile to get used to.

But I can't complain, I swung a deal and got for $50 from DTV's retention department and now I can record HD, w00t!

· Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just found the "Actions" menu. This is similar to cable's On Demand feature, but very much under used on DTV. It's one of the only reason I still hold on to the basic cable package and their HD box, I love ON Demand

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Many users of the HR20 encounter problems.
Many users have no significant issues, like me.

There is a wealth of info on this website that will be useful either way.

One tip: the lag between channels is made longer if "Native" is turned on in the HR20. You can make the lag much shorter by setting the resolution to one set level, such as 720p.

Enjoy!

· Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
paulman182 said:
Many users of the HR20 encounter problems.
Many users have no significant issues, like me.

There is a wealth of info on this website that will be useful either way.

One tip: the lag between channels is made longer if "Native" is turned on in the HR20. You can make the lag much shorter by setting the resolution to one set level, such as 720p.

Enjoy!
yeah, thanks. I messed with that feature a few minutes ago and noticed the same thing. these blurry guides are still throwing me off.

and thanks for the welcome. I might be a newbie to this forum, but I've been messing with satellite tv since the mid 90's ;)

· Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
matto said:
What kind of TV do you have, how do you have it connected, and what resolution do you have the HR20 set to output?
I have a 50" Pioneer plasma connected to HR20 via HDMI. I have the 720p resolution as the only resolution available. I have not stretch modes selected on my HR20 or my TV

· Icon
731 Posts
It will take you a few weeks to REALLY get to know the unit.. but you will love it in the end.. it has its headaches.... but overall a sweet ride. :)

· Banned
686 Posts
james_stewart said:
I have a 50" Pioneer plasma connected to HR20 via HDMI. I have the 720p resolution as the only resolution available. I have not stretch modes selected on my HR20 or my TV
If you are positive that the DVR is outputting 720p, and that 720p is the native resolution of your display, then nothing should be blurry.

Does your display show the same blurriness with any other device that sends 720p via HDMI?

· Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
matto said:
If you are positive that the DVR is outputting 720p, and that 720p is the native resolution of your display, then nothing should be blurry.

Does your display show the same blurriness with any other device that sends 720p via HDMI?
no every other device is fine and the HD receiver i had hooked into the same spot with the same cable was fine

· Registered
2,913 Posts
james_stewart said:
I had a few issues with my Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma connected via HDMI to the HR20. If you have issues with MPEG-4 channels locking up the HR20 (after powering down the plasma panel) consider disabling HDMI and using component. Using component has CONSIBERABLY stabilized my HR20.

Just a tip from another Pioneer Plasma owner…

· Cool Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Radio Enginerd said:
I had a few issues with my Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma connected via HDMI to the HR20. If you have issues with MPEG-4 channels locking up the HR20 (after powering down the plasma panel) consider disabling HDMI and using component. Using component has CONSIBERABLY stabilized my HR20.

Just a tip from another Pioneer Plasma owner…
thanks i might switch my over to component and use the hdmi with my DVD player

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
james_stewart said:
Second thing I noticed is the lag between channel changes. This is annoying as heck and will take awhile to get used to.
Switch the TV/Display mode NATIVE to OFF. Make sure you select your 720P, 1080i selections. This is most likely the delay. Also, it may help in audio related issues.

Welcome !

FYI....go to the Unofficial TIPS & Tricks sticky at top of forum and print off the guide.

· Banned
1,199 Posts
Slyster said:
It will take you a few weeks to REALLY get to know the unit.. but you will love it in the end.. it has its headaches.... but overall a sweet ride. :)
Either a sweet ride or a crash course. It seems it can go either way. Within a few days, he many not find it so sweet, but for his sanity, I hope he does.

· Icon
563 Posts
james_stewart said:
First thing I noticed is the info bar and system menus are a bit blurry. It threw me off at first and made me think there was something wrong with the cable or tv. On my previous receivers the menus and guides were always crystal clear and sharp.

But I can't complain, I swung a deal and got for $50 from DTV's retention department and now I can record HD, w00t!
fonts/guide should not be blurry. The one thiong I hope everyone agrees is that the HR20 has the best graphics/fonts of any DIRECTV box and maybe any cable /satellite box. (I haven't seen the TIVO 3).

· Godfather
340 Posts
dvrblogger said:
fonts/guide should not be blurry. The one thiong I hope everyone agrees is that the HR20 has the best graphics/fonts of any DIRECTV box and maybe any cable /satellite box. (I haven't seen the TIVO 3).
No it dosen't. The H20 has a way better GUI.:lol:

Edit: (For those who don't own a H20, I was being sarcastic. The H20 has the same GUI as the HR20:D )

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Twosted said:
No it dosen't. The H20 has a way better GUI.:lol:

Edit: (For those who don't own a H20, I was being sarcastic. The H20 has the same GUI as the HR20:D )
Oh come on... The R-15 has the best GUI of all!

<INSERT STUPID JOKE> To push a joke even further, the R-15 has the same GUI as well. :)</INSERT STUPID JOKE>

· Godfather
419 Posts
Since you just got the box, make sure you have the latest software version.

You can find this in the quick menu under settings...info (I think this is correct, I'm not in front of the unit).

If you have a version other than 0xE3 use the red button to reset the unit.

The red button is next to the access card slot on the bottom right of the receiver.

When the welcome screen is displayed punch in 0, 2, 4, 6, 8 on your remote, with out the commas.

This will force a download of the latest software. It is also advisable to do another reset of the box once the software download has completed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.