DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Meklos said:
I've recorded several things on my HR20 that I've been saving just so that I can take some pictures of the screen. I can easily pause the image and capture the screen tearing.

The common problem on my end is the MPEG4 delivery. Things on ESPN-HD and the other nationals look pretty good (except for when they knock down the bandwidth).
Right. In *your* market DirecTV obviously hasn't upgraded the MPEG4 encoders yet. So yes, in your market and any others without the new encoder the MPEG4 HD locals are going to look like garbage compared to OTA. Known issue.

But in markets where they have switched to the new encoders and any new markets that have come online in the past couple months (which have the new encoders) the MPEG4 version is virtually the same as OTA to the point most people won't notice a difference.

But no matter what you do and no matter how good the encoder technology gets, nothing will ever be as good as pure OTA. Even cable has to encode the OTA signals sent to your cable box which decodes it. Hmmmm, just like satellite. Charter locally also compresses the HD locals to the point where again, OTA is superior.

It's just pretty much how the technology works. Once OTA gets activated on the HR20 I'll be using those instead of MPEG4 just because they are slightly better but I don't really have to.

So if your market hasn't had it's MPEG4 encoders upgraded yet I feel for you. It should get upgraded soon enough. If that's not soon enough for you then research other options that may be better for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.