DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Legend
206 Posts
oenophile said:
First post. From reading all this, I'm becoming more and more convinced that when I buy an HDTV in January, I'll be switching to my local cable provider for all HD (and getting a TiVo Series 3 Box), and dialing back my D* to the cheapest possible package except during football season.

How sad. I really just want D* and HDTV and a good DVR. Oh well.

(FYI - I currently have D* with a Sony Sat-T60; and have been using D* since 1999 and am one of their most valued customers, I assume, given that I've had NFL plus platinum that entire time.)

Very sad. When I first picked up D*, it had the best picture quality, even compared to cable.
oenophile:

As far as HD goes, the first growth premier grand crus will always be OTA broadcasts. I have had D* HD since 2002 with OTA also. It has never shown any improvement. In fact there are some nights here in LA when have to Look at 83 (NBC West) and wonder if Jay Leno is actually recording in SD when I watch the feed. Tuesdays recording was a great example. Discovery HD is the closest I have seen to the original MPEG-2 feeds of locals transmited back in 2004.

I doubt that - in keeping with our analogy - D* will ever produce a picture on HD with its high compression rates to compare with even a generic Napa Cab, let alone reach better bordeau quality. Given their subscriber base most of which I imagine don't know the difference between 1080i and 1080p let alone own a HD set, I think they are happy with 2 buck chuck from our good friend Robert Shaw.

No bashing here - D* needs to just turn on the HR20's OTA and we can all move on to bigger issues with the box and service like its recording reliability for those that can't use OTA and are stuck with MPEG4 locals.

Welcome to the forum oenophile. Cheers :cheers2: (and nice blog by the way).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.