DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so frustrated with Directv and the fact that after I placed my order and could not schedule the install date online they call me a couple days later and tell me the first install date available is two months out....YES TWO MONTHS.

I called back the next day and told them about my frustration and they said there is nothing they can do its the local installer being backed up that is causing the problem. I emailed them yesterday and told them that either they find a way to move up that install date or I am cancelling and going with Dish Network.

Anyone else have any suggestions or am I pretty much hosed?

·
Registered
23,065 Posts
nd bronco fan said:
Anyone else have any suggestions or am I pretty much hosed?
If you're registered on DirecTV.com, there's a "change my installation schedule" link that sometimes allows you to pick an earlier date... if there are cancellations, spots open up. It's worked for me in the past. Go to "My Account, My Orders." /steve

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
tcusta00 said:
Call a local retailer and see if they have any earlier dates available - look in the yellow pages under Satellite Systems or Radio retailers. They may provide an earlier install date.
This is usually the best option.

NFL season is usually the busiest time of the year for installs, but DirecTV has been consistantly busy and backlogged for most of the year doing tons of HD upgrades, so now it is extra busy. On top of that, a lot of in-house techs are being sent to Texas and other hurricane-impacted areas to help restore service.

Most of the above is true for Dish as well, BTW, except that Sunday Ticket is a DirecTV exclusive, so DirecTV gets more of the football rush.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
personally, and a lot won't agree, I think buying the dish and self installing is best way to go. there is a mountain of info on this site and a lot of helpful people.
granted, it may cost more, but you install what you want the way you want it.
and you can oder the receivers from D* and choose self install, I checked that yesterday.

·
Icon
922 Posts
2months ? wow i thought I had it bad!!

On 9/9 i finally got an HDTV..I also got the Direct TV HD box (non dvr) and found out that when I got home my 3LNB had to be upgraded to a 5LNB as there was nothing left on MPEG2 anymore.. Here in NYC my wait for the slimline dish was all the way up until 9/30 so i consider myself lucky they didnt push me to the back burner on a 2 month wait for the 5LNB dish upgrade..I'd be pretty peeved as well..

I also wanna give a shout out to the Direct Tv tech that was 90 minutes late, got me a free month and no charge for the NFL ticket HD portion..so yee haw for that part...hope you can get an earlier moved appointment..

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dish network is a couple weeks to get installed, thinking about just cancelling, this is ridiculous...................btw.........i called all the places i could find in the phonebook and no one would help me out.

·
Legend
248 Posts
nd bronco fan said:
dish network is a couple weeks to get installed, thinking about just cancelling, this is ridiculous...................btw.........i called all the places i could find in the phonebook and no one would help me out.
I guess it depends on how much you really, really want DirecTV, how handy you are, and where the dish will have to go. In my case, because I had a very custom install, with the dish off of the house (on a pole), and wiring that had to go underground in plastic pipe, I did the whole thing myself, but I had to buy a meter, along with everything else (dish, wire, SWM-8, etc.) It probably cost me a heck of a lot more than having an installer do it, but I got exactly what I wanted.

Good luck in your search -- but, don't take on a self-install unless you have a lot of confidence in your abilities (and/or luck).

Stan

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
sometimes you'll come across people here that do installs for others.
I don't know if its allowed or not, but maybe you could post in the install forum to see if anyone there in your area does it. I don't think its against any forum rules, might want to check with a mod first.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks to everyone who provided suggestions............

funny thing is I emailed Directv yesterday morning and told them they better find a way to get this install done sooner than two months or I will be cancelling and signing up for Dish Network and I have not gotten a reply.

Taking care of customers that have are likely to pay bills and have good credit apparently only applies after you are paying your bill.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
I hope you didn't sign up for the free Premier package with NFL Sunday Ticket. If install isn't for two months, the Sunday Ticket will be pretty useless at that point. Does the package/pricing etc. that you would be getting from DirecTV even make sense two months out from now?

If you're looking for just anything just to get hooked up, I guess you should go with Dish. If, aside from an earlier install date, Dish doesn't give you what you want and DirecTV does, then I'd look for other options as suggested.

·
Icon
642 Posts
nd bronco fan said:
thanks to everyone who provided suggestions............

funny thing is I emailed Directv yesterday morning and told them they better find a way to get this install done sooner than two months or I will be cancelling and signing up for Dish Network and I have not gotten a reply.

Taking care of customers that have are likely to pay bills and have good credit apparently only applies after you are paying your bill.
The installer in ND is extremely busy. You might be able to email [email protected], that gets you the Office of the President which might be able to help you. What is on your current DIRECTV order?

·
AllStar
85 Posts
I can echo most of the responses here. When you do call the installer have them place you on a cancellation list. In a case where others cancel they can move your install up. I understand you plight(although I didn't wait two months). I did have to wait roughly 4 weeks for my install. I am in the Northeast, and like others have said with the Sunday ticket, etc this is the busiest time of year for Direct TV. My installation is tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
David MacLeod said:
personally, and a lot won't agree, I think buying the dish and self installing is best way to go. there is a mountain of info on this site and a lot of helpful people.
granted, it may cost more, but you install what you want the way you want it.
and you can oder the receivers from D* and choose self install, I checked that yesterday.
To add to this, the biggest issue becomes getting an account in the first place. Luckily places like Solidsignal.com will help by getting you an account so you can self install.

Directv will not send you any receivers directly without an established account, which is where Solidsignal and other places come in by getting you an account so you can buy the equipment and get it activated.

The best route for most though is local installers for a pain free installation.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
convem24 said:
The installer in ND is extremely busy. You might be able to email [email protected], that gets you the Office of the President which might be able to help you. What is on your current DIRECTV order?
You are my hero.........I emailed the guy at the address above and ten minutes after I sent the email a gal called my phone and I have an install set up for Saturday morning. You guys made my day, thanks!!!!!!!

And a thank you to Directv for making this situation right.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
tcusta00 said:
Sorry I can't help but point out that everyone else with an install already scheduled either just got bumped back a day or will have a no-show experience. :shrug:

Good for the OP though... got what he was looking for.
Yep, just be on the watch for the next "DirecTv screwed me by unscheduling my install" thread. :(

·
Godfather
388 Posts
nd bronco fan said:
You are my hero.........I emailed the guy at the address above and ten minutes after I sent the email a gal called my phone and I have an install set up for Saturday morning. You guys made my day, thanks!!!!!!!

And a thank you to Directv for making this situation right.
Awesome news, man! There must be a major shortage of people in the area because I ordered my system one day and the next an installer was out at my house. (I assume I was fairly lucky.) Unfortunately, he arrived with all the wrong receivers but we got it sorted by the end of the day.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.