DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· DBSTalk Club Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Channel 578 - done by Ray Edwards. Interesting video designed for installers. Might be old info for those of you who have a HR20 but I don't.

· Icon
914 Posts
thanks! I've got mine recording in the next hour.

· Legend
109 Posts
I recorded it a few days ago (my install is scheduled for this Thursday). I found it most interesting that the installer is responsible for hooking the equipment up to your TV using the best possible video cables. I have a new HDTV so I am banking on the installer supplying and using an HDMI cable for the install, even though one doesn't come with the HR20 in the box.

· Icon
914 Posts
Yeah, I doubt installers actually carry HDMI and HDMI-to-DVI cables with them. I'll be asking my installer for one. Just to see what I get as a responce.

· Legend
109 Posts
AlbertZeroK said:
Yeah, I doubt installers actually carry HDMI and HDMI-to-DVI cables with them. I'll be asking my installer for one. Just to see what I get as a responce.
Hmm, well that's annoying. My TV accepts HDMI so I guess I would need an HDMI to HDMI cable. Do installers call in advance to confirm the appointment (like the day before)? If they do, then I guess I can ask/remind at that time.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
You can get fantastic HDMI to HDMI, HDMI to DVI, or Component HD cables (which ever you need) from monoprice.com at the best prices I've found anywhere....:)

· Legend
109 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
You can get fantastic HDMI to HDMI, HDMI to DVI, or Component HD cables (which ever you need) from monoprice.com at the best prices I've found anywhere....:)
Yep, that's what I plan on doing IF I don't get one from the installer. Thanks! (I may need help later in find the right one - I'm new to this and when I briefly looked at monoprice.com I was confused at my options.)

· Registered
31,115 Posts
jschuman said:
Yep, that's what I plan on doing IF I don't get one from the installer. Thanks! (I may need help later in find the right one - I'm new to this and when I briefly looked at monoprice.com I was confused at my options.)
You can go with either component (if your set/projector supports it), or preferably with HDMI on at least one end - it depends on what you're hooking up to...if you have DVI or HDMI on the set/projector end. In any case - they have all those cables, and all are top quality at a fraction of the big box stores. I've bought 12 different cables from them - all work perfectly.

· Legend
109 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
You can go with either component (if your set/projector supports it), or preferably with HDMI on at least one end - it depends on what you're hooking up to...if you have DVI or HDMI on the set/projector end. In any case - they have all those cables, and all are top quality at a fraction of the big box stores. I've bought 12 different cables from them - all work perfectly.
I'd like to connect the (soon to be installed) HR20 to my plasma TV via HDMI (HDMI on both ends). This will leave me free to connect my DVD player (just a normal old DVD player) to the set via Component.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
jschuman said:
I'd like to connect the (soon to be installed) HR20 to my plasma TV via HDMI (HDMI on both ends). This will leave me free to connect my DVD player (just a normal old DVD player) to the set via Component.
Sounds like a good choice. You may also want to consider a toslink optical cable for audio connectivity...just a suggestion. As far as the HDMI cables, for a plasma connection, you may want to consider their 24AWG (thicker cable with braided shielding). Their standard 28AWG cables are very good as well, but the thicker cable has a bit more protection (interferance and heat), which is ideal for the plasma. They have all these cables in different lengths as well.

· Icon
914 Posts
jschuman said:
it really depends on your TV. I know my TV downstairs share component inputs with svideo/composite on Video 2. My tv upstairs has a seperate HDMI connector but also has components which are seperate from the HDMI. Typically though, you should be okay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.