DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my grandmother to an HD DVR from just a SD box. The install was significantly different then when I had my own house upgraded to HD DVR boxes. So i wanted to make sure things were set up correctly.

The setup is 1 HD DVR and 1 SD box.

1) They did have to replace the dish, so now we have a slimline with 4 wires. However only 3 lines are coming into the house. Thought all 4 were required?

2) In the basement they did not put in a multi-switch. There reason was that the HD requires 2 lines, and the SD box requires 1. So a multi-switch is not required. Is this true?

3) She also managed to get a 'new' HD DVR (don't remember the model, but its the touch ones) They added the b-band adapters to the back, i thought the new boxes had them built in?

The reason why i have to ask, is because it felt like they were trying to nickle and dime us. They had to go back to the van to get the b-band adapters, then make another trip to get a hdmi cable, then another trip to get a remote (After i 'force-fully' demanded a new remote, since the old remote was from 2004). We also got into a 'discussion' after they wanted to take the old receiver (an old hughes) stating that since the new HD DVR was on loan they had to take one with them, even though the old one was ours and not on 'loan'.

So any inputs on my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
Right, since it want a SWM install, BBCs were required. They don't charge for those or the HDMI cable, so there really was no nickel and diming. They actually want them back when a receiver is deactivated.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I thought, just wanted to double check.

When I was upgraded, everything came in the box so i just thought it was kind of odd that they had to keep running back to the truck for things.
But thanks for the clarification.

·
Problem Solver
1,916 Posts
shadowhywind said:
Thats what I thought, just wanted to double check.

When I was upgraded, everything came in the box so i just thought it was kind of odd that they had to keep running back to the truck for things.
But thanks for the clarification.
At your job, do you ever have to run back and forth for anything? :lol:

Also, remotes don't come 1 per receiver anymore. They're ordered and inventoried separately. So it's not just a given that you always get a new one, you have to ask :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.