DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have a contract and I was curious what would their stand point be If I were to cancel my service? I would send my receivers back? They would send a tech out to take my dish down and take all of my equipment? How does that work?
I have a Dish 1000.2, a VIP 722, and 2ea 211K receivers. :confused:
FWIW-the poor install I can live with and I can correct that w/no problem, but the fact that the other guys have my local DMA (NOLA) in HD and E* does not and won't return any of my emails asking when we are getting hd locals is the deal killer for me. The fall tv season is right around the corner too.

just wondering.

· Hall Of Fame
1,837 Posts
You would mail the receiver and the lnb off of the dish back in a prepaid box. Everything else you get to keep. I know that not having HD locals sucks but, you knew all of that at the beginning of the month when you signed up, how come you all mad now? Is OTA an option for you?

· Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jclewter79 said:
I know that not having HUD locals sucks but, you knew all of that at the beginning of the month when you signed up
Actually, if you refer to the post shown below, in the second entry by me, you will see that I was unaware of this fact...and learned after the fact. YES, I can run out and spend more money buying an OTA setup but why when the other guys offer what I want?? Lets face it, both companies are far from perfect, no service is, but if I can get one to work more in my favor why should I have to work harder to make the other provider work for me? In my experience, going with the biggest isn't always the best but maybe in this case? If E* would just publish a date or tell me when my DMA will be avaible in HD I would hold out but why should I have to? Yeah, I can do the other thing with the addy situation but again, its a lot to go thru to make this work for me. And the more times I walk outside and look at my poor install, the worse I feel about E* :nono:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=135449

· Super Moderator
54,203 Posts
If you are sure you're not in contract contact DISH and they'll let you know how to return your equipment.

· Hall Of Fame
1,837 Posts
todbnla said:
Actually, if you refer to the post shown below, in the second entry by me, you will see that I was unaware of this fact...and learned after the fact. YES, I can run out and spend more money buying an OTA setup but why when the other guys offer what I want?? Lets face it, both companies are far from perfect, no service is, but if I can get one to work more in my favor why should I have to work harder to make the other provider work for me? In my experience, going with the biggest isn't always the best but maybe in this case? If E* would just publish a date or tell me when my DMA will be avaible in HD I would hold out but why should I have to? Yeah, I can do the other thing with the addy situation but again, its a lot to go thru to make this work for me. And the more times I walk outside and look at my poor install, the worse I feel about E* :nono:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=135449
I feel bad that you are stuck in a situation that you feel so bad about but, E* never publishes re;ease date before hand. If something falls thought then they look really bad. I would have looked into locals before an install took place.

· Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jclewter79 said:
E* never publishes re;ease date before hand. I would have looked into locals before an install took place.
From what I understand, found on this forum: E* has been talking about going HD in the NOLA market since 2006, they missed that date and on the roll out map there is a dot for this DMA listed in 2008 as well.

When I signed up I looked into both companies but never dreamed locals would have been an issue, I assumed one has them, surely the other would too. And since I was a prior E* customer and had good results, I went with them. Keep in mind this DMA is #56 on a list of 100, not #99 of 100 so were speaking a good size viewing market too.

I have had one other situation since my install but I cannot confirm so I wont go into great detail but it deals with my private info and some strange things that happened after my install, phone calls, letters, and such, really weird, makes me think my personal info was left somewhere by my install tech? :confused: :confused:

4 Posts
Todbnla,

I was with E for 9 years and cancelled my service as well. I had waivers for the Distant Locals and was told all along that whatever happened would not affect me as I was in a "grandfather" status. Unfortunately E did not maintain adequate documentation to prove this and I lost the Distant Networks, as everyone else did.

Secondly, I was paying $1.99 for the home protection plan and to make up for the lost revenue from the DNS E cancelled this plan and started charging me $5.99 for the prtection plan.

Thirdly, E led me to believe that they lost out in a bid to get the NFL Sunday ticket package. I later found out that they did not even submit a bid. In the beginning I was extremely happy with the service but as time passed, they became indifferent to the point where even Charlie Ergen appeared to be focused elsewhere.

I just signed on with D and I agree that no system is perfect but at least I will get my locals and the sports packages I want. When E called to confirm why I left, I voiced my concerns and they still could not answer my concern with the local stations in my area.

· Legend
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
boba said:
Please leave DISH if you are so unhappy, you didn't do your research so DISH isn't to blame.
Its crazy how you guys get all personal into this, its a service already, not a cult...

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
todbnla said:
Its crazy how you guys get all personal into this, its a service already, not a cult...
It is a service with most of the info available to everyone, either online or at retail locations. What most of the members here do not like is that so many people do not do complete research and think that because they were not informed of something means it doesn't/never did exist. I for one do not like having to answer the same questions/gripes all the time, but I certainly do not take it personally.

· Super Moderator
54,203 Posts
todbnla said:
Did I miss someone calling you a loser or an idiot? I don't think so. You decided to make this a public issue ... most of the posts are just calmly stating the truth. Since your decision seems to have been made there isn't much we can do but wave goodbye.

What more do you want? A cult following leaving with you? :)

· Godfather
469 Posts
todbnla said:
You have to watch out, most of the time, these people here will treat you just like Dish does, like crap. It must run with the company jean I guess:(

· Cool Member
27 Posts
todbnla said:
I do not have a contract and I was curious what would their stand point be If I were to cancel my service? I would send my receivers back? They would send a tech out to take my dish down and take all of my equipment? How does that work?
I have a Dish 1000.2, a VIP 722, and 2ea 211K receivers. :confused:
FWIW-the poor install I can live with and I can correct that w/no problem, but the fact that the other guys have my local DMA (NOLA) in HD and E* does not and won't return any of my emails asking when we are getting hd locals is the deal killer for me. The fall tv season is right around the corner too.

just wondering.
You do realize that you can buy an OTA HD antenna for about $40, and that you will in fact get a BETTER (uncompressed) quality HD signal that way than you will from DBS, right?

Seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

· AllStar
85 Posts
Hmmm....didn't realize Dish Network even sold pants....??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.