DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Godfather
268 Posts
CBS had big problems with the premiere HD broadcast.

Watched on both Direct and Time Warner Cable here in NYC - same problems.

At the beginning of the telecast switched first from SD with audio to HD without -
and then back again to SD.

Eventually, they got their act together and we had HD and audio! What an incredible concept - audio and video!

The self-congratulatory piece as the end, in my opinion, was horrible.
In CBS's lame attempt to explain the monumental change and difference,
the network used clips from "Ben Hur" - and they looked absolutey awful!

As they say in Show Biz, "you shoulda seen the rehearsal!"

It couldn't have been worse.

Mr. Paley and Dr. Stanton are rolling in their graves!

· Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GP245 said:
CBS had big problems with the premiere HD broadcast.

Watched on both Direct and Time Warner Cable here in NYC - same problems.

At the beginning of the telecast switched first from SD with audio to HD without -
and then back again to SD.

Eventually, they got their act together and we had HD and audio! What an incredible concept - audio and video!

The self-congratulatory piece as the end, in my opinion, was horrible.
In CBS's lame attempt to explain the monumental change and difference,
the network used clips from "Ben Hur" - and they looked absolutey awful!

As they say in Show Biz, "you shoulda seen the rehearsal!"

It couldn't have been worse.

Mr. Paley and Dr. Stanton are rolling in their graves!
Yeah, about half-way through the show the audio really kicked in..

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
WHAT!?!?!?

Katie in HD? :jumpingja :joy: :heart: This is awesome news and lo-o-o-ng overdue.

So long, NBC Nightly News (NN) & Brian Williams! Cya!

· Legend
212 Posts
Full screen here in Vegas.

Too bad they spent all that money on a new control room, etc. but couldn't pay for a new helicopter flyover of the Statue of Liberty in their closing credits. Especially since it immediately followed the "we're HD now" story.

· Hall Of Fame
4,573 Posts
TANK said:
It was pillared boxed ( bars on both sides ) on the Orlando CBS station, was it also pillared boxed in other areas ?
Watching some of it here currently.Live studio shots are in full 16x9 HD.The stories/tapes being aired from outside the studio are pillar boxed.The PQ of the live HD studio feed looks very good.Audio seems to be in sync too. :)

· Hall Of Fame
2,167 Posts
I thought the studio shots looked a bit soft...especially compared to NBC's HD field shots (yes, their studio camera looks a little soft..but they're in London tonight, so who knows). I'm guessing it's big talent not wanting to expose their "flaws". :)

· Hall Of Fame
4,573 Posts
For those that are seeing the program pillar boxed,is your local CBS affiliate full-time HD?The Nashville,TN CBS affiliate ( WTVF ) has been in full-time HD mode for over a year now.I'm wondering if that may have something to do with the pillar box issue.I'm also wondering if someone at the various CBS affiliates could be forgetting to 'flip the switch' when the CBS News broadcast airs.

· Mentor
41 Posts
Steve615 said:
For those that are seeing the program pillar boxed,is your local CBS affiliate full-time HD?The Nashville,TN CBS affiliate ( WTVF ) has been in full-time HD mode for over a year now.I'm wondering if that may have something to do with the pillar box issue.I'm also wondering if someone at the various CBS affiliates could be forgetting to 'flip the switch' when the CBS News broadcast airs.
I believe this is what happened. The CBS station in Columbus, MS has been full time HD for several yrs now.

· Registered
4,789 Posts
CBS 13, in Portland, Maine, transmits 2 digital OTA channels, with the CBS network feed. 13-1 is 16x9 HD and 13-2 is the same network programing as 13-1, but it is 4x3 pillar boxed and a lot lower resolution (looks like 480i).

· Hall Of Fame
4,922 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I checked this out for the first time last night and it was pretty good - Looks amazing, but they really need to get the sound levels in check. Sometimes it was really loud other times it was soft. Otherwise very nice, might just get me to switch from NBC.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
Yep, they still had problems on day 2. At 6:30, audio was missed up and picture went 4: 3 after a few minutes.

· AllStar
84 Posts
Steve615 said:
KOIN in Portland OR is full time HD on the OTA transmission. CBS news shows in 4:3 format. In fact their local news broadcast is in 16:9 and is followed by CBS in the 4:3 format.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.