DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the HR20-700 installed yesterday. I've been keeping up with the discussions on the forum since I ordered the unit a month ago so I'm heading into the HR20 world with some guarded optimism.

As a geeky guy to begin with, I'm used to the "early adopter" headaches that come with new products (ie, Apple's running on Intel's) so that's not really going to bother me too much. I expect some glitches this early in the game BUT I also expect there to be relatively quick fixes from DTV and it seems like that's happening all ready with the move from the 600 series to the 700 series, which I got. Yeah, I think they rolled it out slightly ahead of when they should and were swamped with the popularity but I think it'll get better before it gets worse. The new interface compared to the TIVO interface I'm used to will take some adjustment but if I want and HD DVR for my DTV system, then it's the price I have to pay. I'm a huge soccer fan and there's no better way to get my fill of Soccer than DTV, so cable and Dish are NOT an option...

So looking forward to recording in HD and guarded with my optimism that DTV will continue to improve on the product in the mean time...150 or so HD channels on DTV after all is said and done says to me that in a years time, I'll really be a happy camper....but 'll need about 2 TB of storage space to record it all! :lol:

See you around the forums....

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
Live4Soccer said:
it seems like that's happening all ready with the move from the 600 series to the 700 series, which I got.
The HR20 has always been 700, that number just denotes the manufacturer of the box. In this case, it's Pace Micro.

· Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeremy W said:
The HR20 has always been 700, that number just denotes the manufacturer of the box. In this case, it's Pace Micro.
Really? ...my installer was telling me that their first shipment was the 600's and they were sending those back like crazy. He was saying they had a pallet of those headed back from customers post install...he seemed to think that the 700's were holding up better and they had fewer calls on compared to the 600's. Maybe there was better QA at the 700 box plant than the 600 box plant! :)

· Banned
1,199 Posts
Live4Soccer said:
Really? ...my installer was telling me that their first shipment was the 600's and they were sending those back like crazy. He was saying they had a pallet of those headed back from customers post install...he seemed to think that the 700's were holding up better and they had fewer calls on compared to the 600's. Maybe there was better QA at the 700 box plant than the 600 box plant! :)
Those must be the boxes D* is sending out as refurb units, with actual video from the ex-owners/subscribers still on them. I kid you not. There are a couple of posts of people receiving replacement units, allegedly refurbed, but have the former owner's MyVOD on them, along with their iniitial setup data still there. Sounds more like re-labeling than refurbishing, no?

Someone suggested it was D*'s Sneaker Net implementation of Video on Demand. Very funny comment. Some people here do have a sense of humor.

Anyway, welcome. It's going to get even more interesting, no doubt. And good luck with your HR20. Despite my skeptic's tone, mine is working well right now, but it started out flaky and a few downloads and removing HDMI and the B-Band converters seems to have set it straight. Of course, I don't really know if those workarounds really did the trick, and I'm still figuring something major (still have minor issues) will go wrong again. But I hope not.

· Godfather
284 Posts
Live4Soccer said:
There is no such thing as an HR20-600 as far as I know. Your installer probably was confused ;)

· Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeremy W said:
The H20 has both -100 and -600 manufacturer codes, so he was probably just confused.
Perhaps...I took his word for it but I'll have to check the box when I get home...as for it being perhaps refurbed, it seemed like a brand new one out of the box and the Hard Drive was completely clean. I too had a few glitches last night with it. It got hung up on a few menu screens and I had to reset but I had crud like that happened with my Tivo from time to time. Like I said, I'm cool having to put up with minor stuff...for now.

Recorded the Ali G marathon and watched a couple episodes after I got back from Soccer practice and all seemed well. (Recorded those in SD though) Recored Studio 60 in HD and it's on there but I haven't watched it yet, so we'll see on that one. That's the big test, how it's doing with the HD shows.

Little bummed there's no clean buffer on both tuners. I know there's a work around but I shouldn't have to "work around" pause both tuners. That should be basic...IMO

But it looks great on a 65" in 1080i...I hit all the HD channels last night and it looks fantastic! I could always watch LIVE HD but now I'm stoked that I can record in it as well and at the same price I bought my rinky dink 30hr Tivo when it first came out! :D

But one side effect that I didn't anticipate is that now my wife wants me to record her movies in HD so we can watch them together! Before the HR20, the 65" HDTV was for sports and guy stuff ONLY, now it'll be the home of Grease and Under the Tuscan Sun cuddle fests! :lol: Oh well, "Happy Wife, Happy Life..."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.