DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Godfather
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if somebody has any tips on staying cool on the job, the heat is kicking my butt lol! I wanted to try like what race car drivers use some tube that flows cold water around the body??? the gatoraid g2 makes me sick, no soda on a hot day just water

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
There are some scarves and vests designed to be soaked with water that then evaporate and provide some cooling, but they don't do you much good if there is no breeze. Great on a motorcycle for example. You'd get as much or more relief just using a spray bottle and misting yourself every few minutes (which should help a lot actually).

As others noted, stay hydrated - lots of water.

· Icon
1,567 Posts
carl6 said:
There are some scarves and vests designed to be soaked with water that then evaporate and provide some cooling, but they don't do you much good if there is no breeze. Great on a motorcycle for example. You'd get as much or more relief just using a spray bottle and misting yourself every few minutes (which should help a lot actually).

As others noted, stay hydrated - lots of water.
Evaporative cooling does not work well in the Southeast when the humidity is usually above 90%.

Water is most important, but water without electrolyte replacement increases the chance of headaches and cramping. Electrolyte replacement without adequate water causes even more serious problems. Products like Gatorade, Cytomax, etc are ok for cyclists and marathon runners, but probably have too many calories for your needs, and still do not have enough sodium or potassium for the volume of water consumed. Also, because Gatorade uses sucrose as the calorie source, water is pulled into the gut instead of being absorbed from the gut. Cytomax is somewhat better, since it uses maltodextrin as the calorie source (three times as many calories per molecule compared to sucrose, so not as much osmotic load for the same number of calories).

You might want to check your local bicycle shop for electrolyte replacement capsules to take along with one to two quarts of water per hour.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
"fleckrj" said:
Evaporative cooling does not work well in the Southeast when the humidity is usually above 90%.

Water is most important, but water without electrolyte replacement increases the chance of headaches and cramping. Electrolyte replacement without adequate water causes even more serious problems. Products like Gatorade, Cytomax, etc are ok for cyclists and marathon runners, but probably have too many calories for your needs, and still do not have enough sodium or potassium for the volume of water consumed. Also, because Gatorade uses sucrose as the calorie source, water is pulled into the gut instead of being absorbed from the gut. Cytomax is somewhat better, since it uses maltodextrin as the calorie source (three times as many calories per molecule compared to sucrose, so not as much osmotic load for the same number of calories).

You might want to check your local bicycle shop for electrolyte replacement capsules to take along with one to two quarts of water per hour.
Or you can also do a mix of water and Gatorade. That will reduce the amount of your sugar and calorie intake, but will still supply you with necessary electrolytes while also hydrating you.

- Merg

· Icon
1,567 Posts
The Merg said:
Or you can also do a mix of water and Gatorade. That will reduce the amount of your sugar and calorie intake, but will still supply you with necessary electrolytes while also hydrating you.

- Merg
Not really. There is a reason for the labeled strength. Even at labeled strength, Gatorade only has about half enough electrolytes for the volume of water to begin with. If it had enough electrolytes, it would taste too salty to drink. It would be better to drink plain water and take electolyte capsules than to drink half-strength Gatorade alone.

A lot of my cycling friends do drink half srength Gatorade because they find that the full strength is too sweet. Unless they also take electrolyte capsules, they get headaches from drinking too much water for the amount of salt they are getting.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
fleckrj said:
Not really. There is a reason for the labeled strength. Even at labeled strength, Gatorade only has about half enough electrolytes for the volume of water to begin with. If it had enough electrolytes, it would taste too salty to drink. It would be better to drink plain water and take electolyte capsules than to drink half-strength Gatorade alone.

A lot of my cycling friends do drink half srength Gatorade because they find that the full strength is too sweet. Unless they also take electrolyte capsules, they get headaches from drinking too much water for the amount of salt they are getting.
While I agree that you are not getting all of the electrolytes needed to replenish you, drinking some Gatorade with water can be better than just drinking tons of water alone. Even drinking water alone in excess can be bad for you. By mixing in some electrolytes, you're helping yourself more than harming yourself.

- Merg

· Icon
1,567 Posts
The Merg said:
While I agree that you are not getting all of the electrolytes needed to replenish you, drinking some Gatorade with water can be better than just drinking tons of water alone. Even drinking water alone in excess can be bad for you. By mixing in some electrolytes, you're helping yourself more than harming yourself.

- Merg
I absolutely agree that drinking water alone in excess can be bad for you. Early symptoms are headaches and cramps. Taken to the extreme, water intoxication will cause cerebral edema and death. That is why I have always said "water and electrolyte capsules".

I also agree that taking in some electrolytes is better than no electrolytes. The problem is that too many people think that because they are getting some electrolytes they are getting enough electrolytes, and that is not the case. Some even think that drinking twice as much half-strength Gatorade will be as good (or better) than drinking full strength Gatorade. That is not true, either. Even at full strength, Gatorade, Cytomax, and the others only provide about half of the electrolytes that should be consumed with that volume of water.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Start as early as possible. Precall your AM customers the evening prior and ask if they are OK if you come around 630-7AM. Most poeople won't mind since they can carry on with their day sooner. Then see if you can take a longer break during mid day.

· Legend
188 Posts
Dang, post got a lot longer than I meant:

I;m going to throw out a suggestion that a Professor gave to me nearly 30 years ago and actually has a pretty strong (and increasing) following among Pro and Amateur athletes. My professor was throwing it out as sort of a joke during a Morning post-holiday lecture as one of the best Hangover cures around and it led to a pretty interesting discussion about overall hydration for athletes as well.

Pedialyte -- about 1/2 the sugar of most sports drinks and far more electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium). The product was designed specifically for Hydration and Rehydration of sick children so the safety is pretty solid. Many newer Gatorade products have attempted to replicate its effects and remedy its main shortcomings.

The problem with many of these is cost and taste (the potassium and lower sugar makes it very salty) so many people make their own and fine tune the recipe). Like many things there is a home version that you can make pretty easily and much cheaper than the brand name stuff. There is a generic World Health Org rehydration solution that you can buy which was designed for using in very poor countries and is very inexpensive if you can find it.

Homemade Pedialyte:
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4-1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4-1/2 tsp. potassium salt (NoSalt, many Salt Substitutes)
Fresh Squeezed lemon/lime
3-4 tsp sugar (I've seen recipes vary from 2-8 tsp) or equivalent amount of Honey/Molasses (If you use honey NEVER give it to children under 1yo)
Mix it all with 1 liter water.

There are variations with flavoring like unsweetened Koolaid/Jello/Flavored gelatin. You could make it or add some Stevia or other artificial sweetener though this can irritate some people, but you really need some amount of real carbohydrate to promote the optimum absorption of the water/electrolytes, but too much sugar can cause Diarrhea and Cramps.

A simple basic HO Oral Re-hydration Solution (ORS)
30 ml (6 level tsp) of sugar
2.5 ml (1/2 level tsp) of salt, dissolved into
1 litre (4.25 Cups) of clean water

This version doesn't have any potassium so many people use 1/4 tsp Potassium salt and 1/4 tsp regular Sodium salt (or Lite Salts which are often Half and half Sodium/Potassium). It also lacks an acetate/citrate/bicarbonate which is where adding the baking soda comes in.

Another version of WHO home solution
WHO Oral Rehydration Solution

Table Salt (NaCl) 1/2 tsp.*
Salt Substitute (KCl) 1/2 tsp.*
Baking Soda 1/2 tsp.
Table Sugar 2 tablespoons
Tap Water 1 Liter

Chill. Can be served with fresh lemon squeezed into it. One can also mix it with Crystal Light or "sugar-free Kool-Aid"

· DaBears
5,992 Posts
Also avoid extreme temperature changes. Don't blast your AC in the truck on the way to the job. Try to just use the cool setting and some windows down. Don't go in and out of the house all of the time. The largest tip is focus on your work not on how hot you think it is. Staying hydrated is obviously key but if you constantly focus on how hot it is you can actually make it worse for yourself.

If you're wearing a hat, sun screen, staying hydrated you're going to be fine through out the day. Wearing long sleeves may seem counter productive but can actually make you less exhausted and impacted by the sun.

· Cool Member
28 Posts
Cool Vest

i have one but really only use it for longer attic exposure, its hitting 107* this week so attic is a good 140ish, and were only supposed to be in them for 10-15m at a time, this ups it to a good 45-60 if your doing wall drops or runs through it

· MANC
1,504 Posts
Get up early, run...several miles.

Eat, fish, grits and citrus.

Pack a cooler with bottled spring water, boiled eggs, towels and ice.

Keep a jar of nuts and a bunch of bananas on your truck.

Use or consume this stuff through out the day.

Chili Mac and Beer for super.

No energy drinks ever.

Nothing that has energy on it.

got it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.