DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Cool Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HR21 HD PVR receiver.

Is there any way to keep the song information up on the screen when tuned to an XM channel? After about 5 minutes the screen goes to a "DirecTV" screensaver, and you have to push the Info button to get the song information back. When I am entertaining and I have the music on in the background I'd like to just be able to look at the TV to see what's playing without having to track down the remote. (On DISH the music channels display the song info continuously on a black background.)

If this isn't possible, is there some other way to display this information? I poked around on the xmradio.com web site to see if I could find a way to bring up exactly what song is playing on such-and-such channel right now, but I couldn't see a way to do that.

· Beer Aficionado
1,469 Posts
Sure there is, participate in the CE program! Seriously though, the screen saver is doing that now on the latest CE software so it would be fair to assume that it will start on the next national release.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,529 Posts
davring said:
To my knowledge the screen saver has always activated listening to the music channels. I prefer to turn the TV off, saves electricity and extends the life of your set.
While your desire to reduce your carbon footprint is admirable, it doesn't answer the OP's question in any meaningful way.

If you have an XM radio, the information is always available. Maybe that is the ultimate solution given DIRECTV's inability to address screen saver issues.

· Beer Aficionado
1,469 Posts
harsh said:
While your desire to reduce your carbon footprint is admirable, it doesn't answer the OP's question in any meaningful way.

If you have an XM radio, the information is always available. Maybe that is the ultimate solution given DIRECTV's inability to address screen saver issues.
Again, maybe I didn't word my post clearly enough, but the latest CE software release (last couple actually) is displaying the song information on the screen saver very reliably, at least it does for me, and I use this feature regularly. If it's in the CE software that means it SHOULD be there on the next NR.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,529 Posts
Mike Huss said:
If it's in the CE software that means it SHOULD be there on the next NR.
Your original post was a little vague "the screen saver is doing that now".

My comments were pointed to davring who seemed to be suggesting that the OP get over it and go green.

· Hall Of Fame
1,183 Posts
Mike Huss said:
but the latest CE software release (last couple actually) is displaying the song information on the screen saver very reliably
Just to make sure I understand correctly, the song info is floating around, so the data is actually a screen saver? If so, that's good news. I don't know when it changed, or if it depends on what receiver you have (I think it's the latter), but I didn't used to have that stupid XM background on the music channels that has the concert picture and big yellow XM logo. I listen to music a lot in the kitchen, and one day kept the TV on so I'd have access to the info while I was cooking. After five minutes, it would go to screen saver, and if a song played that I was curious about, I'd have to hit a button to get the info, then five more minutes would pass before it would go to screen saver. I only checked the info maybe five times that night, but the next day I was horrified to see a nice clear XM logo burned into the plasma screen when a solid image was on. :mad: The old way, I could hit a button, read the info in 30 secs, then exit out to a black screen. At least if the data is in a screen saver, there'd only be five minutes of static image, instead of five minutes every time I get curious.

· Beer Aficionado
1,469 Posts
DarinC said:
Just to make sure I understand correctly, the song info is floating around, so the data is actually a screen saver? If so, that's good news. I don't know when it changed, or if it depends on what receiver you have (I think it's the latter), but I didn't used to have that stupid XM background on the music channels that has the concert picture and big yellow XM logo. I listen to music a lot in the kitchen, and one day kept the TV on so I'd have access to the info while I was cooking. After five minutes, it would go to screen saver, and if a song played that I was curious about, I'd have to hit a button to get the info, then five more minutes would pass before it would go to screen saver. I only checked the info maybe five times that night, but the next day I was horrified to see a nice clear XM logo burned into the plasma screen when a solid image was on. :mad: The old way, I could hit a button, read the info in 30 secs, then exit out to a black screen. At least if the data is in a screen saver, there'd only be five minutes of static image, instead of five minutes every time I get curious.
Yes, instead of the D* logo floating around as a screen saver the last couple CE's have had the song data. It works very well so far, at least for me. It is displaying the song info on the XM screen saver on both my HR20 and my HR21 (both have current CE releases on them).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.