DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, I am no longer using the Dish 921 and have upgraded to the VIP622. But, my question is what I am able to do with HD content I still have recorded to the hardrive, other than keeping the original box. Is there any way for me to archive it all onto DVHS tapes or even a computer hardrive?

Also, I was wondering if I am going to be running into the same problem with the VIP622. Is there a way for me to keep any of the HD content I have recorded, or will I have to lose it all when I lose the box?

Thank you

***Judahb***

·
Hall Of Fame
3,192 Posts
The only way to keep the content is to transfer it as SD analog in real time. The lack of a working firewire port (thank you Hollywood :p ) put the kabash into any chances of transferring a digital output.

Someone posted that it is possible, but it would take $25,000 worth of equipment to pull it off (I presume using the DVI-D port). The data rate on the DVI-D port is too fast to capture (and can be shut down if the 921 detects that it's connected to anything but a display device).

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
Judahb said:
But what about the VIP622? Am I going to be running into the same problem?
If previous hype comes to pass, it will be possible to move at least some ViP622 content to USB storage.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,363 Posts
Michael P said:
The only way to keep the content is to transfer it as SD analog in real time. The lack of a working firewire port (thank you Hollywood :p ) put the kabash into any chances of transferring a digital output.

Someone posted that it is possible, but it would take $25,000 worth of equipment to pull it off (I presume using the DVI-D port). The data rate on the DVI-D port is too fast to capture (and can be shut down if the 921 detects that it's connected to anything but a display device).
No, the DVI port is HDCP and cannot be used to store copies of HD content. What can be done is this-
921 VGA output to an HDanalog to digital converter such as those from Black Magic design group with firewire800 connect output. Feed this to a Mac with FCP HD and capture the video. This process uses the legal analog hole methood of copying. Before I sold my BMD card, I tried it with firewire400 and it was not fast enough for HD. I understand that Firewire800 will work but now I don't have the BMD board. No longer takes $25,000 worth of equipment but it still is not easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.