DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK since I don't have OTA yet I have a couple of other things to find out about.

Has anyone use the keyword search successfully?
This for us anyway, seems to be one major flaw as compared to the TIVO units.
Wife searched "Christmas".
The results yielded 5412 results!
100s of them at the very top of the list are:
Paid Programming - No title information available

How did they find Christmas in that?

As comparison tried same search on DirecTivo and got 200+ resutls with all listings actually Christmas related shows.

Tried a generic "car" search and got 2000 results. Not any paid programming but anything with "c-a-r" in it was pulled up including a boatload of Over the Hedge because Steve "Car"ell is in it.

The title and actor search seems to work fine and just wondered if anyone else has been using the keyword search.

Thanks.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
325 Posts
dwenn said:
OK since I don't have OTA yet I have a couple of other things to find out about.

Has anyone use the keyword search successfully?
This for us anyway, seems to be one major flaw as compared to the TIVO units.
Wife searched "Christmas".
The results yielded 5412 results!
100s of them at the very top of the list are:
Paid Programming - No title information available

How did they find Christmas in that?

As comparison tried same search on DirecTivo and got 200+ resutls with all listings actually Christmas related shows.

Tried a generic "car" search and got 2000 results. Not any paid programming but anything with "c-a-r" in it was pulled up including a boatload of Over the Hedge because Steve "Car"ell is in it.

The title and actor search seems to work fine and just wondered if anyone else has been using the keyword search.

Thanks.
Not to drift too far off topic, but I find the search channel listings to be even worse compared to our beloved Tivo's. I have had Replays, Tivo's and now the HR20 and I think the HR20's channel listings are the most difficult to use.

If I merely want to scan the listings for a particular channel by channel number for the next 24-36 hours, the HR20 is awful compared to its predecessors. As for the keyword search, I rearely use it because it is slow and returns too many results.

I like the HR20, but think they need to improve a lot in the ease of use department before I deem it as good as the Replay or Tivo.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
251 Posts
Leftcoastdave said:
If I merely want to scan the listings for a particular channel by channel number for the next 24-36 hours, the HR20 is awful compared to its predecessors. As for the keyword search, I rearely use it because it is slow and returns too many results.
I did this last night (by going to the channel and hitting info). After waiting a minute or two for the list to appear, pressing the "Record" button took another minute or two for each show. I was trying to record a bunch of Discovery HD shows for my kid and recording ten shows took fifteen to twenty minutes! :(

Oh how I miss the TiVo "List" guide view.
 

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,809 Posts
iacas said:
I did this last night (by going to the channel and hitting info). After waiting a minute or two for the list to appear, pressing the "Record" button took another minute or two for each show. I was trying to record a bunch of Discovery HD shows for my kid and recording ten shows took fifteen to twenty minutes! :(

Oh how I miss the TiVo "List" guide view.
Hmmm, that's weird. When I go to a channel and hit info it does indeed take bit to come up, but usually within 30 seconds. One touch record takes longer then in the regular guide but rarely takes more then 10 seconds if that. Basically I can set to record half a dozen movies off HBO for the next 2 weeks in less then 2-3 minutes.

I wonder if you need to reboot if it's really that slow?
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
251 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Hmmm, that's weird. When I go to a channel and hit info it does indeed take bit to come up, but usually within 30 seconds. One touch record takes longer then in the regular guide but rarely takes more then 10 seconds if that. Basically I can set to record half a dozen movies off HBO for the next 2 weeks in less then 2-3 minutes.

I wonder if you need to reboot if it's really that slow?
I dunno. I just "put up with it" because everything was "okay" to that point.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top