DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Legend
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very long keyword search string for recording hockey games. It has been in place for a few years on 2 different receivers and translated fine to the new software. However, I just had to replace one of the receivers and I can't re-enter the whole string now. Has something changed in the allowed length of the search strings?

Here is the search string as it should be and still is on one of the receivers.

Aall San Jose sharks not byte cchan 698 699

All I can type on the new receiver before apparently hitting the character limit is

Aall San Jose sharks not byte

Please help.

· Icon
1,275 Posts
brianp6621 said:
I have a very long keyword search string for recording hockey games. It has been in place for a few years on 2 different receivers and translated fine to the new software. However, I just had to replace one of the receivers and I can't re-enter the whole string now. Has something changed in the allowed length of the search strings?

Here is the search string as it should be and still is on one of the receivers.

Aall San Jose sharks not byte cchan 698 699

All I can type on the new receiver before apparently hitting the character limit is

Aall San Jose sharks not byte

Please help.
Off the subject, but if you don't mind, what does the "not byte" wording in the search do?

Thanks for your time....

· Hall Of Fame
8,426 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
I think you'll find that if you're patient, you'll be rewarded ;)
I have heard also that Directv is going to Fix this Problem of Limiting it to 30 Characters (going back to 50 Characters) but I just want to know what were they thinking when they changed it???

Didn't they realize that many of us use more than 30 Characters to Perform our Series Links? :confused:

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
bnwrx said:
Off the subject, but if you don't mind, what does the "not byte" wording in the search do?

Thanks for your time....
I think its supposed to be NNOT byte. It would exclude any matches containing the word "byte" or in his case, he probably should use
"NNOT bite" if he is trying to exclude shows on Pacific sharks biting people :)

· Hall Of Fame
8,426 Posts
Yes, there is and if you look around you will find a Sticky Thread all about it.

The Search Function Is Your Best Friend on this Forum!!!

Do a Search on "AALL" and you will find lot of Info!!! :lol:

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
"Richierich" said:
I have heard also that Directv is going to Fix this Problem of Limiting it to 30 Characters (going back to 50 Characters) but I just want to know what were they thinking when they changed it???

Didn't they realize that many of us use more than 30 Characters to Perform our Series Links? :confused:
Or, it could be a bug that wasn't considered high priority.

· Hall Of Fame
7,054 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Or, it could be a bug that wasn't considered high priority.
No, they actually said it was being reduced, it was no bug. They may have found part of the sluggishness was due to the longer boolean searches...maybe they have found a way to return the longer searches and keep the new found speed.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
"CCarncross" said:
No, they actually said it was being reduced, it was no bug. They may have found part of the sluggishness was due to the longer boolean searches...maybe they have found a way to return the longer searches and keep the new found speed.
Ok, must of missed that one.

· Hall Of Fame
8,426 Posts
CCarncross said:
BINGO!!!!

I Think We Have Found A Winner!!! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.