DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I signed up for DirecTv in September, I was pretty clear to them that I wanted LA locals as part of my package because my entire family lives there and I watch local news to keep up whats going on in LA.

I knew that it would be an uphill battle but of course the CSR trying to get me to sign up was like, oh yah, we can add NY and LA no problem. I asked, "are you sure," she said, "Of course."

We all know what happens next after installation right...no LA locals cuz I get Chicago locals. The best they do is submit the waivers, which I knew would get denied, by locals here, which they did. Got the postcard yesterday...Waiver Denied, Waiver Denied, Waiver Denied, Waiver Denied. LOL.

I think now I can write a letter to my local stations explaining my situation as I am not interested in NY locals, which broadcasts the same time as us here but not LA, everything is 3 hours later so not really an issue to what locals I would choose when watching programming.

Anyway, since there are soooo many people from Chicago on this great board, I wonder if anyone of you (Earl especially) had any suggestions for me to get the LA locals and if anyone had success in contacting your locals on your own. Thanks

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Sorry..

There is no way you can access the LA Locals.
The FCC regulations are in the way.

Even if you obtained waiver approval it would have to be for the NY locals.

There is nothing DirecTV can do about it.
And even more so with the recent court decision AGAINST Dish Network, you can almost bet DirecTV won't even try to skate on thing ice.

Sorry.

· Hall Of Fame
2,562 Posts
You live in Chicago now. Watch the news (which will be the entire difference between the two) where you live now and be a part of your community.

Why you would want primetime to start a 10 local is beyond me. And if its a sports issue, that is taken care of seperatly.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
SamC said:
You live in Chicago now. Watch the news (which will be the entire difference between the two) where you live now and be a part of your community.

Why you would want primetime to start a 10 local is beyond me. And if its a sports issue, that is taken care of seperatly.
There is more too it...
When I am vacation... I love watching WGN Superstation to keep track of what is going on Chicago....

I am sure others would like the ability to do the same with where "they" are from. Heck, it is half the reason why Sunday Ticket and the extended sports pacakges are so popular...

If I moved somewhere else, I would be for ever intrested in Chicago's news... as that is where my family and friends are at....

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
There is more too it...
When I am vacation... I love watching WGN Superstation to keep track of what is going on Chicago....

I am sure others would like the ability to do the same with where "they" are from. Heck, it is half the reason why Sunday Ticket and the extended sports pacakges are so popular...

If I moved somewhere else, I would be for ever intrested in Chicago's news... as that is where my family and friends are at....
You got it Earl...that is EXCATLY the reason. My family in LA and San Diego get WGN and still watch the noon and 9:00 news everyday as they were all born and raised in Chicago...Same reason why now I want to watch LA locals.

I know it's not DTV fault..I'm sure they would love to give me LA locals and charge me more per month. Just another stupid FCC decision.

Didn't hurt to try. Oh well.

· Legend
206 Posts
I get confused on this issue also. Don't we lose National feed locals when our DMA starts receiving the local DMA locals? It would seem that the FCC would make it that way so that you can only get your local advertising for your area. The local affiliates would absolutely want this and not want you switching to National feed no matter what your reason or if it was an extra cost. They depend on that local advertising for revenue. I'm not agreeing with the regulation but it does seem logical from the local affiliate viewpoint. The FCC decision was probably based on feedback from the locals.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
"The local affiliates would absolutely want this and not want you switching to National feed no matter what your reason or if it was an extra cost. They depend on that local advertising for revenue. I'm not agreeing with the regulation but it does seem logical from the local affiliate viewpoint."

Correct. Actually, the national networks themselves want us watching our locals, because the locals pay for the programming and our current system of broadcasting could not survive if we abandoned our local stations.

I am sure that at some point this will change, but all these network shows that people are setting Series Links for wouldn't be there if not for locals.

I am currently trying to get HD east and west coast locals, because my locals are not on satellite in HD and there is no date set for the uplinking. D*s website itself says I am eligible, but so far no one has been able to give them to me.

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with all points however, and I only speak for myself, I rarely watch any show "live" anymore. Only football and college basketball. With all the technology out there, no need. Just Tivo or DVR it and watch later. Hell, they the makers of the units add the 30-second skip feature.

Without advertising, no tv or radio so I understand all points.

· Legend
128 Posts
I believe LA locals are MPEG-2, and likely will be for some time. I am not advocating this, as it is unethical if not illegal, but....

Some people "move." A person could "move" to LA and get your bill online. Don't plug your receiver into a phone line. DirecTv has no way of knowing where you are.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
MnGuy said:
I believe LA locals are MPEG-2, and likely will be for some time. I am not advocating this, as it is unethical if not illegal, but....

Some people "move." A person could "move" to LA and get your bill online. Don't plug your receiver into a phone line. DirecTv has no way of knowing where you are.
LA and NY locals will not be MPEG-2 for much longer, they will be converting them to MPEG-4 during 2007... not sure when exactly.

And actually DirecTV does... if they wanted to, they can force your system validate using the land-line phone.

And you are correct... "moving" like this is a violation of your user agree ment with DirecTV.

· Godfather
313 Posts
I got network waivers about 6 yrs ago (for SD stations) when I came over to D*. I subscribed to Distant Network Service at that time which includes LA and NY locals. In February I was told there's no way I could get waivers for the HD locals because I get them from Chicago. Yet I still pay for and receive the DNS. Will I be losing this sometime in the future? It wouldn't bother me much now that I have a DVR but my wife will flip.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Larry G said:
I got network waivers about 6 yrs ago (for SD stations) when I came over to D*. I subscribed to Distant Network Service at that time which includes LA and NY locals. In February I was told there's no way I could get waivers for the HD locals because I get them from Chicago. Yet I still pay for and receive the DNS. Will I be losing this sometime in the future? It wouldn't bother me much now that I have a DVR but my wife will flip.
Given the most recent legal rulings against DISH Network...
I highly expect DNS as we know it today, is going to go through a MAJOR overhaul in 2007

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.