DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the HR20-700 for 4 months and one of the issues that is madding is the slowness of the screens nd moving around the remote. The time it takes to change channels is brutal - makes watching live tv worthless. I have had direct tv rec for over 20 years and this one is by far the slowest one - even the 8 bit unit "blazes" channel to channel.

Is it my unit or is this seen across the line?

The slowness and lag goes along with the out of sync audio on the HD package, the loss of sound, loss of recordings, and countless calls inot DTV.

JF

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
With Native "On" I am getting 3-4 second channel changes which is really good for switching from 1080 to 480 and back. Going from HD to HD seems even faster to me maybe 2-3 seconds. I would love for there to be no lag at all. If this ever happens it will be just another great improvement. I'd rather have dual buffer than faster channel changing though.

·
Godfather
267 Posts
I too think that changing channels is ridiculously slow. Takes 5+ seconds whether I have it set to "native" or not. The old HR10 was faster in this respect. The HR20 has gotten worse after the last 2-3 updates when it comes to this issue.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
g4jedi said:
I too think that changing channels is ridiculously slow. Takes 5+ seconds whether I have it set to "native" or not. The old HR10 was faster in this respect. The HR20 has gotten worse after the last 2-3 updates when it comes to this issue.
If you don;t see a difference when switched between native or not....then there is another problem going on there....there is a sigificant and noticable difference. Also, you can set the 2 second menu setting to reduce changeover time.

My menus are now very fast with latest update, and channel changes are 1 to 1 1/2 seconds.

·
Legend
182 Posts
jefff said:
I have had direct tv rec for over 20 years and this one is by far the slowest one - even the 8 bit unit "blazes" channel to channel.
JF
How have you had D* receivers for 20 years when they've only been in business since 1994?? hmm....2006 - 1994= 12....unless my math is wrong

Also, like noted above turn the native mode off...just keep the receiver in 1080i and it should work fine...also continue to keep in mind that the signal is traveling approx. 22,000 miles every time you change the channel.
:D

·
Godfather
336 Posts
untouchable said:
How have you had D* receivers for 20 years when they've only been in business since 1994?? hmm....2006 - 1994= 12....unless my math is wrong

Also, like noted above turn the native mode off...just keep the receiver in 1080i and it should work fine...also continue to keep in mind that the signal is traveling approx. 22,000 miles every time you change the channel.
:lol: :lol: :nono: :nono: :nono: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :confused: :confused:

·
Godfather
578 Posts
Mixer said:
With Native "On" I am getting 3-4 second channel changes which is really good for switching from 1080 to 480 and back. Going from HD to HD seems even faster to me maybe 2-3 seconds. I would love for there to be no lag at all. If this ever happens it will be just another great improvement. I'd rather have dual buffer than faster channel changing though.
It's a little slower for me with native on. With it off it's about 2-4 seconds depending on how quickly it can sync the audio and video. From most of the posts concerning channel changing that I've read this seems to be the norm. As I posted elsewhere when I first got my unit and turned it on channel changing was quite fast but then it got it's update I believe it was E3. With that one when changing channels it would go to a grey screen and then occasionally a black screen before audio and video came in, definitely much slower than before. With the current, fa, update the grey screen was replaced by a black screen but the actual time is pretty much the same. Annoying but you get used to it - definitely no quick channel surfing though!
John
Just out of curiosity after posting this I tried a red button reset. It seems like it's changing channels a little faster ( could be my imagination! ) the funny thing is the black screen is back to a grey screen with an occasional momentary flash of a black screen. That's what I was seeing prior to this update. Always an interesting experience with this box!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
g4jedi said:
I had the same problem AFTER watching the NFL game on Ch 95 last night...never had it before (9 weeks). I did a red button reset this morning and the speed is back to normal.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
untouchable said:
I will keep that in mind when I send in my monthly check and its late - .... traveling distance is an excuse. Face it, thsi unit is still beta -and we, the customers are troubleshooting it for them.

Turning the banner to 2 sec and the native off seemed to help but not like the older systems

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.