DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was to be a statement game. Phil Jackson and his self-absorbed Center were out to show the world that Sacramento's Game 2 victory was a fluke. If it weren't for terrible officiating, or so the story goes, these Kings would be down 2-0 and facing a desperation game three IN L.A.

Well it certainly WAS a statement game... only the team making the statement was the Sacramento Kings. Shaquille "The (BK) Whopper" O'Neal (and the Los Angeles Lakers) were thoroughly outplayed, outhustled and outclassed in Game 3 of the Western Conference Finals... save for a mini L.A. run in the 4th quarter, which led to several fans being trampled at the Staples Center as a result of thousands of Laker "loyalists" prematurely leaving the game, only to rush back to their seats when Kobe Bryant (the real -and only- clutch superstar on his team) sparked the rally with about 7 minutes left in the game.

In the end though, it made no difference. The Whopper remained invisible, while the Kings took it to the Champions and grabbed a 2-1 lead in the series.

And this time, the Zen Master can't blame the officials.

No sir, to find any blame, he need look no further than Whopper O'Neal, who, judging by the way he played tonight, spent more time whining and crying about flops and fouls than he did preparing for the game.

Of course the Whopper Stopper himself, Vlade "The Flopper" Divac certainly played a MAJOR factor in the tonight's game. Showing no signs of intimidation, The Flopper was all over The Whopper... forcing the Big Man to play defense (for a change) and clearly frustrating him with tremendous defense of his own... holding the Whopper to 6 and 2 points respectively in the critical 1st and 3rd quarters...

((VLADE!! VLADE!! VLADE!! You can almost hear them shouting in Sacramento! And The Flopper did NOT disappoint!))

Of course it wasn't just The Flopper and The Whopper show... far from it. The Kings played like CHAMPIONS, essentially sending a message to the 2-time defending champions that they'll have to do ALOT better than spend two days spewing hot air about unfair officiating to win this series. The Lakers, on the other hand, played as if they forgot that the OBJECT of the game is to win. Perhaps they felt all they had to do was show up and the officials would just hand them the victory... what with Big Chief Triangle sending his team of lobbyists to David Stern's house for the past couple of days.

Who knows what they were thinking. One thing is certain though... this Laker team IS beatable.

Game 4 should be a blast!!

·
Icon
715 Posts
I can't comment. I was too busy watching baseball. :) I was going to put it on when one of the TV's was freed up - but with the extra inning games everywhere and the fact there was just a lot of games to watch - I didn't watch the Lakers, so I can't comment really. The backhaul was a weak picture on SBS 6, so I couldn't match up Chickie with the picture and a little of Marv and Bill go alooooong way. I put the game on twice. 2nd quater and the Kings were up 47-26 and near the end of the 3rd with the Kings up 71-49. Based on what I've seen this year with the Lakers, they must of came out flat again in the 1st half (common occurance especially at home this season). Kings didn't look like they choked in the few minutes I saw the game. I'll watch Sunday's game. Now we have to win another game in cow bell territory. That's going to be tough. I just hope we aren't down 3-1 after Sunday. I'll have to eat some crow at work! :)

·
Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Considering they lost Game 2 in Sacramento, I think it's safe to assume that most fans and "experts" (save for the Sacramento loyalists) fully expected the Lakers to come out in Game 3 and dominate, right... especially since they were coming back home to LA.

The fact that it didn't happen that way has caused many of these same folks to say/feel the same thing about Game 4... the Lakers will be ready to play, they'll set the tone from the start, et al.

Well, IMO, the Lakers did NOT beat themselves in Game 3... on the contrary, the Kings thoroughly outplayed them in every aspect of the game.

So with that said, my question is assuming the Kings come out with the same confidence, poise and aggressiveness, HOW are the Lakers going to change the outcome, and WHY should anyone believe they'll be capable of accomplishing that goal... considering they haven't been able to do so in the last two games?

·
Icon
715 Posts
Game 4 is looking awful even with the simulcast of Chickie on KLAC. This stinks! Lakers are getting their booty kicked again. It's got to be be bruisin' pretty good now. Angels are also losing. At least the Dodgers are beating Randy in Arizona. :) Kings just have too many weapons. I didn't want to play this team in the WC finals. Three-peat?? Well...maybe in 2005???

·
Icon
715 Posts
Arizona won, but Randy didn't get the win. It was a great game. Randy passed Walter on the K list and got a standing O. In the 9th inning when there was a discussion with the umps concerning some Dodgers moves, Vinnie told this story about the Brooklyn days about Frankie Frisch and switching lineups when Frankie was the Cubs manager. Great story! Would love to hear a few more before Vinnie retires.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"IT'S THE LUCKIEST THING I've ever seen in my life," Kings forward Hedo Turkoglu said.

"They made one at halftime that might have been too late," said Sacramento's Chris Webber, who scored 20 points. "You take that 3-pointer away, we win."

"Sometimes the hardest thing is to maintain a lead," Webber said. "We were one lucky play away from winning. I'd rather lose this way than by five or 10. We'll be OK."

I have to hand it to you Chris. Most players wouldn't feel that way. Can anyone tell me why they thinks he feels this way?

Horry was in the right place at the right time. He hit a good shot," said guard Mike Bibby, who scored 21 points but had just one field goal in the second half when he was dogged by Kobe Bryant.

"It's huge," guard Bobby Jackson said of Game 5. "They're scared of us. We're playing well and we got a swagger about us. They got to find their game. We know what we can do."

"I got a hand up in his face," Webber said of O'Neal. "Vlade tipped the ball out. It was as if it was a pass right to Horry on the 3-point line. I tried to bust tail to get a hand in his face. It was too little too late."

Webber said the game-winning shot was "a lucky play." "Coach didn't draw that up. It wasn't a second or third option. That was a fumble out of the inside to the outside," he said. "Now, Horry shooting it wasn't lucky. That's a big shot."

·
Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only two complaints I have against Bibby in the Kings 5th game victory against the Lakers are: he didn't sell any tickets and he did not help mop up the sweat off the floor!!!! Other than that he did it all!!!!

If Divac handles Shaq as well in the 5th game as he did in the last couple of games, the Kings will have a good shot to take the game!!!If the Lakers spend too much time taking Bibby out of the game, Look for Jackson and Christy to take up the slack in scoring!!!

·
Icon
715 Posts
Lakers will win at home unless Steve Javie is in the building. :) I'm still looking for the fouls on Shaq for #'s 5 and 6. Those were road calls. Look for the series to go 7. I'd say NBC needs that, but they probably don't care since ABC/ESPN has the NBA next year. I hate Bibby. I've hated him since the UofA days when he used to run rampant all over the PAC10. I admit I'm scared now, but I still have the faith that America's team will 3-peat. :D

·
New Texan
11,467 Posts
Don't forget.... we're going to see more action from Peja, who saw limited minutes last night.

Heh heh heh.... liked the part when Bibby scores the final three pointer with seconds to spare while Horry is on the floor. That's payback for Game 4.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can the Laker's comeback?
All I have to say is never underestimate the heart of the champion, but.......
Possible? Yes, anything's possible. Doubtful though. Looking back at the series, the Lakers just haven't been in it. They're a Horry 3 pointer away from being eliminated in 5, and their game 1 win cam against a Sac team not on their game.

The Kings are a better team, and if they continue to play team ball like they have, the Lakers can't get 2 in a row. it's the Kings series to win or lose at this point.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.