DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lance Armstrong,who won a record seven consecutive Tour de France titles,has announced that he is coming out of retirement.His intentions are to race in the 2009 Tour de France.Armstrong said that details,such as a team and schedule,will be announced Sept. 24 at the Clinton Global Initiative in NYC.
More info at the following link.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080909/ap_on_sp_ot/cyc_armstrong_comeback

·
Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
spartanstew said:
At his age? That takes balls.
Insert obligatory, off-color, in bad taste, "ball joke" here.

He's only a couple of years removed from his last win.

And he just recently raced in a 100 mile mountain bike enduro race and finished second to the king of that race. And in order to beat Lance, the guy had to ride faster than he had ever ridden that race, and by a pretty substantial margin IIRC.

I've watched large portions of all 7 of his victories, and I've decided that the man is not human. He's half beast. Or perhaps he's half machine.

I don't know.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he wins the thing again. I won't be surprised if he doesn't, either. He is competing against guys half his age.... but if anyone can do it, Lance can.

·
RIP
6,198 Posts
The pace of last year's Tour de France was pretty slow. I think Lance saw that and said I can still compete. Now whether Astana (his new team) will be allowed to race is still a question.

He's going to be riding some other races before the TdF so we should start to get an idea of whether or not he's in the kind of shape necessary to compete.

There are a lot of good young riders starting to make their mark. I think it may not be as easy as Lance believes...but it will be fun to watch.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,189 Posts
There will always be doping theories around people that can do extraordinary physical feats. He will always be under a microscope, retired or not. The French still are trying to prove he has always been dirty. I guess all the mud throwing just rolls off his back. It would be great to see him stick it to the French again. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.