DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Wanted to see if anyone could comment on the reliability of what I heard from the guy selling Directv at Sams club. Several days later I asked a 2nd guy at the Sams Club and heard this same story:

Lansing will have HD Locals finally before the Superbowl. The rumor is that Comcast had an exclusive contract for HD locals which is up at the end of 2011.

Usually any news is broken on this website, not by Sams employees commissioned to sell more Directv.

So I put it out to this board -- does this story pass the smell test?

Bring on the HD Locals!

Eric

·
Godfather
370 Posts
Sounds like a simple sales job, not good info.

Lansing as of 12/28/11 is not even uplinked for testing yet.

Also, Dish has Lansing HD locals, and many outlying areas that have cable other than Comcast have Lansing HD locals.

I think he just wants to sell Directv.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was afraid of. I'll pass the bad news along to my Dad so he stops expecting HD locals -- too bad!

Directv is a great product but in Lansing it stinks!

·
Hall Of Fame
3,042 Posts
engeler1 said:
That's what I was afraid of. I'll pass the bad news along to my Dad so he stops expecting HD locals -- too bad!

Directv is a great product but in Lansing it stinks!
Yes, Lansing will get HD locals in 2012 if all goes to plan

·
Freethinker
3,183 Posts
Satelliteracer said:
Yes, Lansing will get HD locals in 2012 if all goes to plan
Great news. The lack of HD locals has cost me at least 5 refer-a-friend deals.

And what on earth was the hold up?

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
Since I am completely setup for OTA, they can keep their Lansing locals...and I'm 40 miles south of Lansing. I get all OTA channels available in our DMA perfectly fine with a $50 antenna...anyone living in Lansing with D* and isnt getting their locals via OTA, that's their problem, and it would be so easy to correct for them it isnt even funny. Besides, we wont be getting any sub-channels if past history is the measure.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CCarncross said:
Since I am completely setup for OTA, they can keep their Lansing locals...and I'm 40 miles south of Lansing. I get all OTA channels available in our DMA perfectly fine with a $50 antenna...anyone living in Lansing with D* and isnt getting their locals via OTA, that's their problem, and it would be so easy to correct for them it isnt even funny. Besides, we wont be getting any sub-channels if past history is the measure.
The trick is NBC (Channel 10 WILX? from Jackson). This year wanted to watch MSU / ND game. Had a terrible time getting my Dad's OTA antenna to pull it in. He's not going to put an antenna on the roof so his HD Antenna Settup is the best he'll be able to do.

Channel 10 is a tough assignment from DeWitt....

Hope D* solves the problem in 2012!

·
Hall Of Fame
3,042 Posts
SPACEMAKER said:
Great news. The lack of HD locals has cost me at least 5 refer-a-friend deals.

And what on earth was the hold up?
Not sure. You need capacity on a spot beam, a local receive facility, uplink, all that kind of stuff. Capacity, cost, etc. I don't know, but those are potential guesses

·
Freethinker
3,183 Posts
CCarncross said:
Not everyone wants to deal with OTA and buying AM21's for their HD receivers. Our market finally getting HD locals is a good thing.:)

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
When you see the drop in PQ you may not sing the same tune. While it may be ok for the masses, any of us critical viewers would use OTA for every channel if we had the choice, it always has better PQ....less affected by weather, etc. there are many benefits to OTA. Like I said before, anyone who has been a D* customer for awhile and is serious about getting their locals in HD in a non-served market, would have already dealt with the OTA situation including adding AM21's to the newer models.

·
Freethinker
3,183 Posts
CCarncross said:
When you see the drop in PQ you may not sing the same tune. While it may be ok for the masses, any of us critical viewers would use OTA for every channel if we had the choice, it always has better PQ....less affected by weather, etc. there are many benefits to OTA. Like I said before, anyone who has been a D* customer for awhile and is serious about getting their locals in HD in a non-served market, would have already dealt with the OTA situation including adding AM21's to the newer models.
The drop in PQ will be negligible. In fact, I was able to compare ABC 53 to the D* feed while watching NASCAR Hotpass a couple of years ago and the D* version was identical.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
SPACEMAKER said:
The drop in PQ will be negligible. In fact, I was able to compare ABC 53 to the D* feed while watching NASCAR Hotpass a couple of years ago and the D* version was identical.
You may not be as PQ critical as I am...which is good for you. ;)
I'll stick with OTA whether we get our locals or not.

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
CCarncross said:
I guess it can come down to where you live...

A few rare days aside, my local FOX affiliate's PQ is equal to that of OTA.
I cannot receive my CBS affiliate, so I cannot comment on the difference between the signals.
My PBS appears to be equal.
My NBC affiliate however appears to be slightly soft compared to OTA...

As for being less affected by weather, it can depend on your circumstances. Certain times of the year, I can actually count on my DirecTV signal to be less affected by the weather, than my antenna.

I'm very grateful for my locals... sure, I wish they'd add ABC in HD, and I wish my local CW affiliate offered HD for DirecTV to carry it, but overall, I'm just glad I don't have to do without them.

~Alan

·
Godfather
311 Posts
engeler1 said:
The trick is NBC (Channel 10 WILX? from Jackson). This year wanted to watch MSU / ND game. Had a terrible time getting my Dad's OTA antenna to pull it in. He's not going to put an antenna on the roof so his HD Antenna Settup is the best he'll be able to do.

Channel 10 is a tough assignment from DeWitt....

Hope D* solves the problem in 2012!
WILX is halfway between Lansing and Jackson. They are also more than doubling their transmitter power soon:
http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WILX&city=&state=

·
Godfather
391 Posts
Rochester/Austin/Mason City (MN/IA) market -

I usually don't even bother asking for all the obvious reasons but being the Directv HD Locals page on their website show NO upcoming HD Locals for anyone and Satelliteracer does appear to be in a good mood ;-) I might as well. Any chance our market finally gets our HD locals? If you can't answer that's fine. If you can that's awesome! I wonder if Tebow could help move things along?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.