DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a noticeable difference in picture quality between FIOS and DirecTV in SD and/or HD to warrant switching to FIOS? If so, is this likely to persist with new satellites?

If I go with FIOS, what is the minimum DirecTV package that I would need to keep to retain use of my HD DVR recordings?

If the picture quality improvement is mainly with SD on FIOS, is it possible to subscribe to just HD channels on DirecTV and get SD on FIOS?

·
Lifetime Achiever
10,839 Posts
I don't not know what the difference is in PQ but I am very happy with DIRECTV.

As for package you would need to just keep the lowest programming package I believe so you can still watch your recordings on your DVR.

DIRECTV does not offer a HD channels only package.

·
Legend
124 Posts
D* does not offer any kind of HD only package like E* does... so the minimum base package you could get would be the Family Package at 29.99 a month along with your DVR access and HD service (for their monthly charges as well, of course).

Couldn't tell you though about the PQ difference as I've only seen D*'s.

·
Legend
124 Posts
Michael D'Angelo;1662687 said:
I don't not know what the difference is in PQ but I am very happy with DIRECTV.

As for package you would need to just keep the lowest programming package I believe so you can still watch your recordings on your DVR.

DIRECTV does not offer a HD channels only package.
You beat me to it. Damn you... in a good way of course. I suppose that's what I get for leaving my computer for a bit and not refreshing the page.

·
Legend
121 Posts
In my area, I haven't been able to see a noticeable difference between FIOS HD and DirecTV HD (Comcast HD on the other hand is a whole different story and the reason I switched).

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
Most of my neighbors have FIOS, so I watch it occasionally. Granted, there's always differences between displays and calibration, etc., but I haven't seen any difference between what I get with D* and FIOS. Most of the HD that I watch is from Mpeg4 channels (the Mpeg2's aren't as good) and most of the SD I watch is on HD channels (locals), so that may effect things.

·
Dry as a bone
12,566 Posts
Justin23 said:
You can also bundle FiOS internet with DIRECTV for additional savings plus get it all on one bill. This applies for new and existing DIRECTV customers.

J
How? I've had both for almost 3 years and have not heard of this.

Are you sure it's not only in areas where FIOS TV isn't offered?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,218 Posts
Yes I am sure it's everywhere. Verizon is one of D*'s partners and you can get a quad bundle (home phone, wireless, internet & DIRECTV); triple bundle (phone, internet & DIRECTV), or double bundle (phone & DIRECTV). If you have a Verizon Plus store in your area, go into there and they can do it for you. Or you can call Verizon directly and opt into the bundle. Your last DIRECTV bill needs to be paid in full then you will migrate to integrated billing.

J

·
Mentor
43 Posts
DodgerKing said:

I created a comparison chart of the actual HD channels. As far as PQ goes, I do not know, but I can only assume that FiOS is better.
Excellent comparison chart; thanks for doing that for all of us. I am considering moving to Fios from D* after 13 years and the HD difference doesn't really matter that much to me. A lot of the HD stuff on D* I don't watch anyway and the ones I do are already set up or part of the new Verizon rollout starting next month in July.

I'm considering the switch to save over $50/Mo with the Fios bundle they offered me this month for 4 rooms including HD Multi-room Media DVR. This includes 90 days of all premium channels like HBO, Showtime etc. I currently have 3 rooms with a HR20-700 with 2 other boxes. I am betting that D* will probably raise their prices again I will save even more during the coming year. I have had the Verizon fiber telephone and Internet now for almost 2 years and have not had even 1 minute of problem with their service.

I have several friends who have the TV service and they say the quality of the pix is excellent. Verizon is bumping me up from 5MB down load on my Internet to 10MB as part of the bundle. Price is fixed for 1 years that will save me over $600 that I use towards other more important issues. Jaw breaking written promise to cancel within 90 days with no cancellation fee so if I don't like what I see I will consider reupping with D* again.

:) bamakid

·
Hall Of Fame
1,218 Posts
Be sure you check the specs of the Multi Room DVR....the boxes that are in the other rooms are not true DVR's.

From the FiOS website:

Important information:
• Programs recorded in Hi-Def cannot be played back on remote
Set Top Boxes.
• Remote Set Top Boxes cannot pause or rewind live TV.
• Remote Set Top Boxes do not support remote scheduling of
program recordings. Program recordings can ONLY be
scheduled through the DVR.
• HD Set Top Boxes (model 6200) cannot be used as part of a
Multi-Room network.
• Your Multi-Room DVR will support up to six additional
Set Top Boxes.
• No more than two remote Set Top Boxes can simultaneously
access recorded content from the DVR. An error message will
be displayed if more than two Set Top Boxes try to access
recorded content simultaneously.
• You cannot delete content from the DVR if another Set Top Box
is concurrently accessing that content.

You are also going to pay an HD fee and a DVR fee per box unlike D* which only charges 1 HD fee and 1 DVR fee for the whole account.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I'm very aware of FiOS TV... I have neighbors who have it and their salespeople invade my property with regularity (despite my threats of police calls).

The selection of local and public channels in Southern California is a little better. However, the selection of HD is much worse: I think they have six LA locals (admittedly including KCET PBS) and 13 HD nationals. The chart posted above seems accurate.

Picture quality on 32-37" TVs seems comparable. SD quality is a little worse on both DIRECTV and FiOS than I would prefer, with noticeable pixelation and macroblocking. But, of course SD is largely irrelevant in my world. The MPEG4 quality on DIRECTV is better on DIRECTV, showing better saturation, less pixelation and macroblocking.

Other people around the country have shown screen caps of the FiOS DVR and all I can say is good for them. In my neck of the woods verizon is using Motorola boxes that are functionally equivalent to those used by the cable company. Low capacity, low features, low reliability. Zero satisfaction as far as I'm concerned. If you're considering FiOS, visit with a friend who has it and see what hardware they've got.

·
Mentor
43 Posts
Justin23 said:
Be sure you check the specs of the Multi Room DVR....the boxes that are in the other rooms are not true DVR's.

From the FiOS website:

Important information:
• Programs recorded in Hi-Def cannot be played back on remote
Set Top Boxes.
• Remote Set Top Boxes cannot pause or rewind live TV.
• Remote Set Top Boxes do not support remote scheduling of
program recordings. Program recordings can ONLY be
scheduled through the DVR.
• HD Set Top Boxes (model 6200) cannot be used as part of a
Multi-Room network.
• Your Multi-Room DVR will support up to six additional
Set Top Boxes.
• No more than two remote Set Top Boxes can simultaneously
access recorded content from the DVR. An error message will
be displayed if more than two Set Top Boxes try to access
recorded content simultaneously.
• You cannot delete content from the DVR if another Set Top Box
is concurrently accessing that content.

You are also going to pay an HD fee and a DVR fee per box unlike D* which only charges 1 HD fee and 1 DVR fee for the whole account.
Thanks for the feedback and heads up. Understand that the other boxes have limitations including inability to play back HD. The other TV's are standard older TV's anyway. The HD fee is bundled in with the price I got fixed for 1 year and still saves me more than $50/Mo over D*. I plan to run parallel so I can make direct comparisons on the same TV. I have looked at friends TV's with FiOS and it looks good but I prefer the comparison on the same TV in my Den. Like I said within 90 days I will know if this project is worth continuing or not with Verizon.

bamakid

·
Hall Of Fame
1,167 Posts
Justin23 said:
You can also bundle FiOS internet with DIRECTV for additional savings plus get it all on one bill. This applies for new and existing DIRECTV customers.

J
Are you sure? I thought it was only Verizon DSL that could be bundled. I have never heard of bundling Fios internet with Directv.

·
Registered
23,065 Posts
FIOS HD is superb. It's an exact re-transmission of the original network MPEG-2 HD feed with no additional compression added. That said, I live in the New York City suburbs and my HR2x's receive the network OTA feeds directly from the Empire State Building, the same source DirecTV uses for the East Coast network feeds.

Except for trickplay smoothness, I see virtually no difference between the network OTA feeds and the same shows recorded MPEG-4 on my HR2x's sitting about 10 feet away from my 50" plasma screen. So as far as MPEG-4 HD vs. MPEG-2 HD goes, I see no compelling advantage to switching to FIOS from DirecTV.

SD is another story. I have no way of comparing FIOS SD to DirecTV SD side-by-side. /steve

·
Icon
984 Posts
verizon has 9 local hd channels 18 national hd channels and5 preminum movie hd channels, in southern california. and the only thing i got to bundle was my diretv bill with verizons phone and internet billing with a $6.00 a month discount on my bill for doing that.

·
Godfather
497 Posts
In the DC metro you cannot bundle FIOS with Directv. Directv can only be bundled with DSL and/or pots phone service.

I have FIOS internet and phone but would not have their TV service. Main reason is I wanted Hotpass. Even if Directv did not offer Hotpass I would still have gone back to Directv for tv service.

I am the only one who has Directv in my neighborhood. The rest have either Cox cable or FIOS. Only one neighbor has Dish. My choices for HD are better and PQ is better according to some who come over to watch football or other programs.

·
Icon
691 Posts
smokes20 said:
In the DC metro you cannot bundle FIOS with Directv. Directv can only be bundled with DSL and/or pots phone service.
I just got off the phone to see if they offered a way to integrate my current AT&T DSL with DirecTV, and they said no. I think they mentioned AT&T was their partner in my area. I'm also not eligible for any promotions since I already have DSL.

Is there some department I should ask for or any bundles anyone is aware of if I am an existing DirecTV customer and an existing AT&T DSL customer?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.