DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earl nudged me out of another thread where I was off topic (sorta) so i decided to start a new thread here to read what everyone has to say on this subject.

I was told by retention that the HR20 is leased and with that in mind will be replaced during it's life. They said that was the beauty of the lease. Others (like the author of the review that Ealr posted) are saying that the replacement is only good for the first 90 days.

What have you been told?

Does anyone have the official word from D*

:confused:

·
Godfather
394 Posts
Mixer said:
Earl nudged me out of another thread where I was off topic (sorta) so i decided to start a new thread here to read what everyone has to say on this subject.

I was told by retention that the HR20 is leased and with that in mind will be replaced during it's life. They said that was the beauty of the lease. Others (like the author of the review that Ealr posted) are saying that the replacement is only good for the first 90 days.

What have you been told?

Does anyone have the official word from D*

:confused:
Not so sure on the technical side of things, BUT, I do have the protection plan, so I understand that all equipment is taken care of for as long as I have the protection plan.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked if the protection plan was needed for the replacement of the HR20 and was told that I didn't

pappys said:
Not so sure on the technical side of things, BUT, I do have the protection plan, so I understand that all equipment is taken care of for as long as I have the protection plan.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,758 Posts
Retention told me that any leased receiver is replaced FREE except for shipping charges.

·
Banned
614 Posts
DVDKingdom said:
Retention told me that any leased receiver is replaced FREE except for shipping charges.
I disagree... I have not been charged for shipping.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
My understanding is that, like cable companies, when new technologies force changes to the receivers, we who are now leased will be able to get "nearly free" upgrades to the newest equipment. At least that is a common explanation for the customer adavantages to leasing.

The really big advantage to the leasing program, as I understand the world, is that D* gets to write off ALL the costs of the customer equipment since they own it now in a lease environment. LOTS of tax advantages to D*. (And since I can't write off the equipment costs, I guess i don't mind someone saving a few bucks if that means they can likewise keep my costs down a bit.)

I'm only happy in that I didn't pay for my HR20's. I would never paid $300 for a piece of "leased" equipment...

Cheers,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so it seems that what most are being told is that we will not have to pay if these trhings breakdown. That is good news.

I'd still love to see it in writing

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I don't think you will see it in writing because if you are not, in their mind, a good customer, or you have gone thru ten receivers in the past six months, they want to be able to tell you "no."

·
Icon
914 Posts
tibber said:
The really big advantage to the leasing program, as I understand the world, is that D* gets to write off ALL the costs of the customer equipment since they own it now in a lease environment. LOTS of tax advantages to D*.
Don't forget the yearly deduction for deprciation!

We are slowly switching over every reciever we can to leased units. One of our R15's just died so we got a new one under a lease for free - now, next time it fails, we just call directv and they send us one. Of course, i still have a stack of SD DirecTV TIVO's in the basement just in case.

·
Legend
234 Posts
Mixer said:
Ok so it seems that what most are being told is that we will not have to pay if these trhings breakdown. That is good news.

I'd still love to see it in writing
Only for the first 2 years - after that, you own it according to what I was told.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
The lease agreement from DIRECTV that was printed on my receipt when I bought it from CIRCUITCITY said I have to buy another one if the HR20 breaks. I Called the 1800DIRECTV number I was told by the Cust. Serv. rep and the Cust. Serv. rep's supervisor that DIRECTV will NOT replace the unit for free if it fails.

I'm sure with the first 30-90 days they'd replace it under warranty, but after that it would depend on whom I talked to if I called in to DIRECTV to say my HR20 had died. It might also make a difference if I say - replace it for free since it's a leased unit or I'll cancel my DIRECTV account and switch to cable TV. It might not matter.

·
Godfather
294 Posts
I also would image if your leased reciever breaks some time after the first 30/60/90 day period after you bought it, they would send you a free one, but you would have to agree to another programming commitment.

·
Icon
714 Posts
When I got my HR20, the retention supervisor said that they were covered by one year warranty for advanced equipment. Outside of it, we are expected to pay $299 again. I don't know if she was mistaken, but even if she was right, I wasn't too worried about it so I didn't even argue.

Say if my HR20 breaks in the 13th months, it will cost me $12.5 x 11 to get out of the remainder of the 2 year commitment. If they won't replace it, it seems cheaper for me to pay them $137.5 and go to other alternatives, say FIOS. Now that FIOS carries Golf channel, there is nothing holding me back anymore.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Dusty said:
When I got my HR20, the retention supervisor said that they were covered by one year warranty for advanced equipment. Outside of it, we are expected to pay $299 again. I don't know if she was mistaken, but even if she was right, I wasn't too worried about it so I didn't even argue.

Say if my HR20 breaks in the 13th months, it will cost me $12.5 x 11 to get out of the remainder of the 2 year commitment. If they won't replace it, it seems cheaper for me to pay them $137.5 and go to other alternatives, say FIOS. Now that FIOS carries Golf channel, there is nothing holding me back anymore.
If you talk to the right rep at retention and your polite, you could negotiate to get a replacement for free, especially if your going to walk to a competitor.

You can also get the $5.99 Protection Plan, which covers replacement anytime, even after a year for free, no shipping charges.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
If they try and tell me I need to purchase a new receiver if mine breaks, I will tell them I'm leaving. If that doesn't work, I will leave. It's their receiver, they need to foot the bill for replacing it. That's all.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Jeremy W said:
If they try and tell me I need to purchase a new receiver if mine breaks, I will tell them I'm leaving. If that doesn't work, I will leave. It's their receiver, they need to foot the bill for replacing it. That's all.
You're still stuck with the 2-year term obligation. And what thumperr said makes sense, it seems like this is a great way for D* to rope you into extending your contract every time your equipment fails.

We shouldn't worry about it though- the equipment they are sending us seems to be of incredibly high quality

·
Legend
152 Posts
D* bends over backwards to retain customers by offering free equipment, free programming, and program credits(money off your bill) and you seriously think they will try and stick it to you if this thing dies? Relax people. They want to win the satellite war and then set their sites on cable. Advantage, consumer!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.