DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had my Direct TV disconnected this month. I’d been with Direct TV satellite since 1998. Very satisfied thru the years. No issues to speak of. AT&T came thru the neighborhood a few years ago and installed Fiber, and so I had it installed to get the 1GB up/down speed. I’d been eyeing the AT&T streaming option ever since it was made available. It was a tough sell because I was very satisfied with Direct TV satellite, and why change if you are satisfied right? But satellite had some issues with weather here and there and I was at a point where I probably needed some new boxes because hard drives for the DVR do fail eventually.

So, I’ve made the switch and am happy so far. For those of you considering, here are my pro’s and con’s:
Pro’s: 1-the picture seems just as good with Direct TV steaming as the satellite;
2-No dropouts due to weather;
3-slightly less expensive.
4-the app works pretty good on my Apple TV for the other TVs in the house;
5-steams to my iPhone, iPad and computers in the house.
Con’s:
1-I like the interface of the Direct TV software better (and the remote).
2-Can’t control the # of shows that record in the cloud DVR (not really a problem since it’s in the cloud).
3-Only one remote per box, can’t get an extra remote for the wife so we pass the single remote back and forth.

Overall, I recommend it.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
3-Only one remote per box, can’t get an extra remote for the wife so we pass the single remote back and forth.
This remote says DIRECTV Now remote but I think it is the same remote that comes with the current box. Someone can correct me if that is wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This remote says DIRECTV Now remote but I think it is the same remote that comes with the current box. Someone can correct me if that is wrong.

What the rep said when I disconnected was that two remotes would not work, it only pairs with one remote. If someone else is using two remotes let me know! The rep may have been wrong.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,413 Posts
With the growing popularity of Bluetooth and Wi-fi remotes, this is only going to get worse but there are other streaming devices that can support multiple remotes.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I had my Direct TV disconnected this month. I’d been with Direct TV satellite since 1998. Very satisfied thru the years. No issues to speak of. AT&T came thru the neighborhood a few years ago and installed Fiber, and so I had it installed to get the 1GB up/down speed. I’d been eyeing the AT&T streaming option ever since it was made available. It was a tough sell because I was very satisfied with Direct TV satellite, and why change if you are satisfied right? But satellite had some issues with weather here and there and I was at a point where I probably needed some new boxes because hard drives for the DVR do fail eventually.

So, I’ve made the switch and am happy so far. For those of you considering, here are my pro’s and con’s:
Pro’s: 1-the picture seems just as good with Direct TV steaming as the satellite;
2-No dropouts due to weather;
3-slightly less expensive.
4-the app works pretty good on my Apple TV for the other TVs in the house;
5-steams to my iPhone, iPad and computers in the house.
Con’s:
1-I like the interface of the Direct TV software better (and the remote).
2-Can’t control the # of shows that record in the cloud DVR (not really a problem since it’s in the cloud).

Overall, I recommend it.
If you are using Apple TV, phones, and tablets to receive DirecTV Stream, why do you need a DirecTV remote?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are using Apple TV, phones, and tablets to receive DirecTV Stream, why do you need a DirecTV remote?
The one remote you get in the box is for the streaming box (in our case in our living rm). I wanted another so my wife and I could each have one close by without having to pass it back and forth. The others work fine using the Apple TV remotes.

·
Administrator
504 Posts
If it can only pair to one single Bluetooth remote, that would suck since so many households use multiples including universals to supplement the originals.

Reactions: bob.aldridge

·
Administrator
504 Posts
This says each remote can only be paired to one device but that doesn't necessarily mean each device can only be paired to one remote.

I wonder if the CSR got it backwards?

Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Number

Reactions: harsh

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The one remote you get in the box is for the streaming box (in our case in our living rm). I wanted another so my wife and I could each have one close by without having to pass it back and forth. The others work fine using the Apple TV remotes.
Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to just use your own streaming devices? What do you gain by using DirecTV's box?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,413 Posts
Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to just use your own streaming devices? What do you gain by using DirecTV's box?
Only the DIRECTV Stream Device supports number keys for those who think memorizing and punching in channel numbers is the best way to move between channels. On other devices that support number keys, the DIRECTV app doesn't recognize them.

·
Legend
185 Posts
I’ve left DIRECTV after 26 years for DirectvStream. I find I use less channels now for some reason. My only problem is I Miss the ease of the interface. Since I only use Roku in our home at least both my wife and I can have our own remotes. Lol.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Only the DIRECTV Stream Device supports number keys for those who think memorizing and punching in channel numbers is the best way to move between channels. On other devices that support number keys, the DIRECTV app doesn't recognize them.
OK, thanks. Seems like a very minor feature to pay a rental fee for the box. To me, the biggest advantage of DirecTV Stream would be getting away from DirecTV's equipment fees. I'm paying DirecTV close to $40 a month for their equipment.

·
Cool Member
49 Posts
OK, thanks. Seems like a very minor feature to pay a rental fee for the box. To me, the biggest advantage of DirecTV Stream would be getting away from DirecTV's equipment fees. I'm paying DirecTV close to $40 a month for their equipment.
You don't rent the boxes with DTV Stream. You can either purchase them upfront or spread the cost out monthly.

·
Icon
845 Posts
I bought four of the boxes refurbished from Directv for $50 each (total cost almost the same as one HD 64K Apple TV). It is a much more enjoyable experience than with Apple TV or a Firestick, although Apple TV is smoother than the Firestick. I also use my backlit RC73 remotes that I had with satellite, and I feel they are even better than the remotes that came with the Directv Stream box. Only downside is no voice commands, so I keep them both next to each other. On another note, I hope DTV Stream fixes the judder when switching channels. It is especially noticeable on CNN. Most times it goes away quickly, but not always. I do miss the satellite picture being clear immediately upon channel change, but I won't miss weather outages and cleaning snow off the dish.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts