DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,560 Posts
I had my Direct TV disconnected this month. I’d been with Direct TV satellite since 1998. Very satisfied thru the years. No issues to speak of. AT&T came thru the neighborhood a few years ago and installed Fiber, and so I had it installed to get the 1GB up/down speed. I’d been eyeing the AT&T streaming option ever since it was made available. It was a tough sell because I was very satisfied with Direct TV satellite, and why change if you are satisfied right? But satellite had some issues with weather here and there and I was at a point where I probably needed some new boxes because hard drives for the DVR do fail eventually.

So, I’ve made the switch and am happy so far. For those of you considering, here are my pro’s and con’s:
Pro’s: 1-the picture seems just as good with Direct TV steaming as the satellite;
2-No dropouts due to weather;
3-slightly less expensive.
4-the app works pretty good on my Apple TV for the other TVs in the house;
5-steams to my iPhone, iPad and computers in the house.
Con’s:
1-I like the interface of the Direct TV software better (and the remote).
2-Can’t control the # of shows that record in the cloud DVR (not really a problem since it’s in the cloud).
3-Only one remote per box, can’t get an extra remote for the wife so we pass the single remote back and forth.

Overall, I recommend it.
I also turned to dtv streaming and am very happy also I checked on my TV and the output from the box is 4k HDR

·
Hall Of Fame
1,560 Posts
Has anyone here used the DirecTV Stream app on a Roku device? Does it perform well? We too have been debating ditching the dish and switching to the streaming service.
i would really consider the DTV box the remote works well plus good voice control and the box outputs 4K HDR

·
Hall Of Fame
1,560 Posts
The newer Roku models output 4K HDR as well. I guess I was trying to see if there is a difference in the user experience between the two. In other words, is the app on the Roku any different in how it functions and looks to how the interface on the DirecTV box looks? I would really like to eliminate equipment if possible.
i haven't tried on my roku yet but my wife likes how the dtv box emulates a standard cable box and it is quite small

·
Hall Of Fame
1,560 Posts
OK I just tried it on my old roku 4 guide is quite responsive
I don't seem to have voice control and of course everything has to be done from the home screen no button to go directly to dvr recordings
but as I say still responds quickly but I do miss the bells and whistles of the dtv remote
bottom line roku should work fine
back to your question app seems to have the same interface

dtv used to have a one week free trial you could check on that

·
Hall Of Fame
1,560 Posts
Alas, what DIRECTV Stream offers is neither 4K nor HDR/WCG. DIRECTV Stream is HD.

Thus far only YTTV and Fubo offer live 4K content.
original content probably isn't but the upscaling looks very good

·
Hall Of Fame
1,560 Posts
The original content definitely isn't 4K. That you've been fooled speaks highly of the box and any "special sauce" that DIRECTV may have infused it with.
yep my samsung tv was also fooled it says 4k HDR LOL

·
Hall Of Fame
1,560 Posts
I can't say. Since I've got the 1Gig it seems to work great for me. 24 Mbs might be cutting it close. Netflix I've read seems to do fine with about that same speed. I would think you could probably squeak by.
Guess I should have added to my comments it is very responsive with a 200 mbps connection the best idea maybe give it a try
see if you can get the one week free trial
DTV says 8 mbps per stream

1 - 7 of 7 Posts