DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had my Direct TV disconnected this month. I’d been with Direct TV satellite since 1998. Very satisfied thru the years. No issues to speak of. AT&T came thru the neighborhood a few years ago and installed Fiber, and so I had it installed to get the 1GB up/down speed. I’d been eyeing the AT&T streaming option ever since it was made available. It was a tough sell because I was very satisfied with Direct TV satellite, and why change if you are satisfied right? But satellite had some issues with weather here and there and I was at a point where I probably needed some new boxes because hard drives for the DVR do fail eventually.

So, I’ve made the switch and am happy so far. For those of you considering, here are my pro’s and con’s:
Pro’s: 1-the picture seems just as good with Direct TV steaming as the satellite;
2-No dropouts due to weather;
3-slightly less expensive.
4-the app works pretty good on my Apple TV for the other TVs in the house;
5-steams to my iPhone, iPad and computers in the house.
Con’s:
1-I like the interface of the Direct TV software better (and the remote).
2-Can’t control the # of shows that record in the cloud DVR (not really a problem since it’s in the cloud).
3-Only one remote per box, can’t get an extra remote for the wife so we pass the single remote back and forth.

Overall, I recommend it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This remote says DIRECTV Now remote but I think it is the same remote that comes with the current box. Someone can correct me if that is wrong.

What the rep said when I disconnected was that two remotes would not work, it only pairs with one remote. If someone else is using two remotes let me know! The rep may have been wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are using Apple TV, phones, and tablets to receive DirecTV Stream, why do you need a DirecTV remote?
The one remote you get in the box is for the streaming box (in our case in our living rm). I wanted another so my wife and I could each have one close by without having to pass it back and forth. The others work fine using the Apple TV remotes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Wouldn't it be simpler and cheaper to just use your own streaming devices? What do you gain by using DirecTV's box?
Bob, I have been with DTV also for 23 years. We were thinking of streaming too. If the picture quality is just as good then the only other question I have for you is we live in the country and our fastest internet speed right now is 24 mbs. Will this be good enough to use 2 TVs? Thanks
I can't say. Since I've got the 1Gig it seems to work great for me. 24 Mbs might be cutting it close. Netflix I've read seems to do fine with about that same speed. I would think you could probably squeak by.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts