DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since D* doesn't actually notify users of software upgrades, let's all make an effort to "talk up" the national rollout of 0x10B. Do you know anyone who has an HR20 but doesn't participate here? Tell them about it. Brag about it over at Circuit City. Heck, tell complete strangers if that's your thing.

It's no one's job here to be D*'s marketing department, I know that, but do a good deed here, folks. We all want this to be a successful, stable DVR so if we tell a lot of people and they report problems, they're more likely to get fixed. If they have no problems, they'll be happy that they can get their HD locals (if they weren't before).
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Just start to "submit" it to all the popular "tech" blogs/forums.
 

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent idea, Mr. B - Let's do that too.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
314 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
What is funny... is that when OTA came out.
I sent it to engadget and a couple others, since they hammered the unit for it's lack of OTA..

But it never got "posted" ....

But gosh forbid, another blog (PVRWire is where it appears to have started) lists the ViiV is now comming...

I will give engadget some credit for at least mentioning us here, and for "swiping" my screen shot.. :)
 

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those bums...

Maybe send it again now that it's rolled out nationally?
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
314 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
What is funny... is that when OTA came out.
I sent it to engadget and a couple others, since they hammered the unit for it's lack of OTA..

But it never got "posted" ....

But gosh forbid, another blog (PVRWire is where it appears to have started) lists the ViiV is now comming...

I will give engadget some credit for at least mentioning us here, and for "swiping" my screen shot.. :)
If you spin it touting the wonders of OTA HD along with Satellite HD you might get engadgetHD to pick it up.
 

·
The Shadow Knows!
Joined
·
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ajwillys said:
If you spin it touting the wonders of OTA HD along with Satellite HD you might get engadgetHD to pick it up.
Done, and done.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
lamontcranston said:
Since D* doesn't actually notify users of software upgrades, let's all make an effort to "talk up" the national rollout of 0x10B. Do you know anyone who has an HR20 but doesn't participate here? Tell them about it. Brag about it over at Circuit City. Heck, tell complete strangers if that's your thing.

It's no one's job here to be D*'s marketing department, I know that, but do a good deed here, folks. We all want this to be a successful, stable DVR so if we tell a lot of people and they report problems, they're more likely to get fixed. If they have no problems, they'll be happy that they can get their HD locals (if they weren't before).
Ok I have shaved my head, wrapped a sheet around me, picked up 5 dollars in quarters and brand new black-and-white Nike tennis shoes, meet me at the airport and we can share the love that is 0x10B.

 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
94 Posts
Question? How do I get the update?
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Johnboat said:
Question? How do I get the update?
You should already have it.

It was pushed to all systems last night.
 

·
Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt
Joined
·
5,287 Posts
btmoore said:
Ok I have shaved my head, wrapped a sheet around me, picked up 5 dollars in quarters and brand new black-and-white Nike tennis shoes, meet me at the airport and we can share the love that is 0x10B.

:thats:

I just hope that Kool-Aid isn't the drink of choice.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
94 Posts
Well I'll look after work :)
So I'm running a non ViiV PC. I'm running Windows Vista RTM which has Media Center on it. Will the network work for me?
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Johnboat said:
Well I'll look after work :)
So I'm running a non ViiV PC. I'm running Windows Vista RTM which has Media Center on it. Will the network work for me?
You need to then setup WMP11 or a seperate server application, to serve up the media files.

HR20 talks to a Media Server, not to file shares.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
21 Posts
Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but will we ever be able to stream any videos from Media Center or WM 11 TO the HR20?

I currently do that via my Xbox 360 - but it would be much easier to do it via the HR20.

Also, I wonder if this Microsoft/DTV chatter about a forthcoming Xbox 360 'blade" has any more merit given this partnership?
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
PetSounds66 said:
Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but will we ever be able to stream any videos from Media Center or WM 11 TO the HR20?

I currently do that via my Xbox 360 - but it would be much easier to do it via the HR20.

Also, I wonder if this Microsoft/DTV chatter about a forthcoming Xbox 360 'blade" has any more merit given this partnership?
It has been "mentioned", but nothing is definative... either way.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
What is funny... is that when OTA came out.
I sent it to engadget and a couple others, since they hammered the unit for it's lack of OTA..

But it never got "posted" ....

But gosh forbid, another blog (PVRWire is where it appears to have started) lists the ViiV is now comming...

I will give engadget some credit for at least mentioning us here, and for "swiping" my screen shot.. :)
Please forgive me if this comes across as a dumb question. Is OTA different from the local channels received from the dish? I thought the purpose of the H20 was to eliminate the need for an OTA terresial antenna. I think of OTA as using a terrestial antenna. Is that wrong?
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
tonyportale said:
Please forgive me if this comes across as a dumb question. Is OTA different from the local channels received from the dish? I thought the purpose of the H20 was to eliminate the need for an OTA terresial antenna. I think of OTA as using a terrestial antenna. Is that wrong?
You are correct... OTA is using a terrestial antenna.

DirecTV only offers a small portion of the digital signals for the areas it covers. Here in Chicago, they offer 6 of the possible 28 channels that are available via the OTA.

So OTA and the SAT based HD compliment one another.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top