DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any have any idea wheter Liberty Media might reignite a DirecTV and TIVO relationship? Seems the old DirecTV model (pre-Murdoch) had much better, at least reliable, DVR and other receiver platforms for customers. Any hope for a renewed DirecTIVO offering?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
No one knows what will happen until it happens. I would make a guess that it's going to be pretty low on the priority list though. Having the whole box in their control in the end makes for a better business decision. If anything came out of it with TiVo I would think that it would be a purchase of them by DTV and I don't really know if that will ever happen.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clint Lamor said:
No one knows what will happen until it happens. I would make a guess that it's going to be pretty low on the priority list though. Having the whole box in their control in the end makes for a better business decision.
I would ask the owners of the current Murdoch endorsed receivers whether they think the current direction D* has been headed will be good business in the end.

"Control" can be a self deluding pursuit. Perhaps D* should rememebr the old adage: the harder you squeeze, the more the sand falls between your fingers.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,724 Posts
Tops on the list should be delivering true HD to their subscribers. And then more HD. I would also hope that they take a look at the comments here and on other forums about the non-TiVo DVR and take them seriously.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
jdspencer said:
Tops on the list should be delivering true HD to their subscribers. And then more HD. I would also hope that they take a look at the comments here and on other forums about the non-TiVo DVR and take them seriously.
As for the "true" HD... That is just a technological limitation right now.
Once the new SATs are launched, and the existing MPEG-2 HD's are converted to MPEG4..
"True" HD, will be there.

And by definition of how the Internet has defined "HD-Lite"; DirecTV is offering "True" HD on their MPEG-4 offerings.

As for the second part:

Yes, I do hope they look at the comments and evaluate them correctly...
As do I hope everyone does... the new HR20, is not as bad as a lot of people paint it out to be...

And as the months have gone on, more and more people are realizing that... that wow... maybe, just maybe, "TiVo" is not the end-all-be-all
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
tkrandall said:
I would ask the owners of the current Murdoch endorsed receivers whether they think the current direction D* has been headed will be good business in the end.

"Control" can be a self deluding pursuit. Perhaps D* should rememebr the old adage: the harder you squeeze, the more the sand falls between your fingers.
Think what you want, DTV controls the software on their newer DVRs. They don't have to pay Tivo any per box fee for the new boxes, they add or don't add features they want or don't want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,532 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
As for the "true" HD... That is just a technological limitation right now.
Once the new SATs are launched, and the existing MPEG-2 HD's are converted to MPEG4..
"True" HD, will be there.
Not so fast. The Capacity for True HD will be there. Whether or not D* will see fit to provide it is another story.

Remember, D* execs are on record with saying D* provides the "highest quality" HD PQ available without qualifiers. The first step toward fixing a problem is admitting the problem.:D
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Herdfan said:
Not so fast. The Capacity for True HD will be there. Whether or not D* will see fit to provide it is another story.

Remember, D* execs are on record with saying D* provides the "highest quality" HD PQ available without qualifiers. The first step toward fixing a problem is admitting the problem.:D
True.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,532 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
As do I hope everyone does... the new HR20, is not as bad as a lot of people paint it out to be...

And as the months have gone on, more and more people are realizing that... that wow... maybe, just maybe, "TiVo" is not the end-all-be-all
That's it. You are hereby ordered to relinquish your membership at TCF and surrender your User Title of "A TiVo Junkie". You are out of the club. :p ;)

I do have to agree the HR20 is not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. Of course, given the problems the R15 had it is understandble how myself and many others could be hesitant to accept D*'s in-house DVR.

And I agree the HR10 is not the E-A-B-A. However, I will have to say it would have been a very nice place to start. I think TiVo management was too stubborn and greedy to let the partnership be everything it could be.:(

Is the HR20 as reliable as my HR10's? Not yet. Will it be? I think so at some point. Will it have all the features the HR10 has (think DLB)? Probably not, but it will have some neat features the TiVo didn't so it is probably a tradeoff.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
I really do need to change my "motto" at TCF...
 

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,809 Posts
Herdfan said:
Not so fast. The Capacity for True HD will be there. Whether or not D* will see fit to provide it is another story.

Remember, D* execs are on record with saying D* provides the "highest quality" HD PQ available without qualifiers. The first step toward fixing a problem is admitting the problem.:D
So far with the MPEG4 locals they are. At least in markets that have the new encoders the MPEG4 locals are virtually the same as OTA. So there is plenty of hope that DirecTV will provide "full" HD with the new sats. They don't have a reason not too as they won't have bandwidth limitations. But we'll see what actually happens...
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Clint Lamor said:
Think what you want, DTV controls the software on their newer DVRs. They don't have to pay Tivo any per box fee for the new boxes, they add or don't add features they want or don't want.
And fix or don't fix bugs they want or don't want. :D
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
182 Posts
Herdfan said:
Not so fast. The Capacity for True HD will be there. Whether or not D* will see fit to provide it is another story.

Remember, D* execs are on record with saying D* provides the "highest quality" HD PQ available without qualifiers. :D
and Time Warner says that you will never lose your picture when it rains or storms, but guess what?? you do lose it...wait, D* should start countering their lawsuit and take them to court over their commercials...if they won, the could get better HD :D
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
51 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
And as the months have gone on, more and more people are realizing that... that wow... maybe, just maybe, "TiVo" is not the end-all-be-all
I've owned (or leased ;) ) 3 different DVRs now - UltimateTV, DirecTiVo, and the R15, and the best of the bunch is still the UltimateTV. It did pretty much everything the others do, but it did it faster and more efficiently. The UI made more sense and in general just did things better... I wish that it hadn't gone away... (P.S. Don't tell Microsoft, I don't want them getting a big head... :D )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,747 Posts
Everyone has heard the phrase "tree huggers". Everytime I surf the other forum all I can think of is the phrase "TIVO Huggers". It's a good product, good brand, good company, all that good stuff, I have nothing bad to say about TIVO ...but damn.... it's just a DVR. not the holly grail.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
450 Posts
HDTVsportsfan said:
Everyone has heard the phrase "tree huggers". Everytime I surf the other forum all I can think of is the phrase "TIVO huggers". It's a good product, good brand, good company, all that good stuff, I have nothing bad to say about TIVO ...but damn.... it's just a DVR. not the holly grail.
It's just the Leader of the Pack. The word "Tivo" has virtually replaced "record" in the modern lexicon. I have so many friends with POS cable-co DVRs who frequently say the "Tivoed" something. I remind them that they didn't Tivo sh1te. And, you have to remember that for A LONG TIME, the HR10-250 was the only consumer DVR available that could record HD. Tivo should have been more agressive in negotiating with DirecTV. As sad as it is to say, when the HR10 goes, I'm afraid so does TiVo as a company. Sort of like Netscape, WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3 and others, who when the giants of industry decided they wanted to take over, lost out in the battle for market share.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
And as the months have gone on, more and more people are realizing that... that wow... maybe, just maybe, "TiVo" is not the end-all-be-all
The more I use the HR20 and the more I find I can rely on it, the more I find TiVo to be just a bit overrated. OK, maybe when you first get a DVR you need a bit of hand holding, but after 6 years I don't need that. I'm at a point where I'm ready to see other options and, to this point, I'm enjoying using the HR20.
 
1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top