DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm a victim of a poor installation. I had this thing for about 2 months now. This is the first time it snowed. Very light. I have no satellites. Zero, Zip...
Is this normal?
I also noted the installer didn't ground anything. He rapped the ground wire around a hole in the mounting bracket and left it loosely hanging there.
He didn't use any of the fine tuning pointing adjustment hardware provided on the mounting bracket. He just loosened the screws, pointed it and tightened the screws. I asked him why he did it this way and he said he had the best meter you could buy so he didn't need to do that other stuff. :eek2:

My real question is; Is there a way to watch the recorded programing despite the lack of reception? I know I got programs recorded in there but it just keeps searching for satellites it's not going to find.

Question #2; Why do installers like this still have jobs?

·
Legend
239 Posts
When the weather clears up, you need to check your signal strength under the setup menu. You should get signals in the 90's. It does sound like you dish needs to be re-pointed.

·
Legend
162 Posts
hobodog said:
I think I'm a victim of a poor installation. I had this thing for about 2 months now. This is the first time it snowed. Very light. I have no satellites. Zero, Zip...
Is this normal?
I also noted the installer didn't ground anything. He rapped the ground wire around a hole in the mounting bracket and left it loosely hanging there.
He didn't use any of the fine tuning pointing adjustment hardware provided on the mounting bracket. He just loosened the screws, pointed it and tightened the screws. I asked him why he did it this way and he said he had the best meter you could buy so he didn't need to do that other stuff. :eek2:

My real question is; Is there a way to watch the recorded programing despite the lack of reception? I know I got programs recorded in there but it just keeps searching for satellites it's not going to find.

Did you have good signal strength before the snow? I am still using my 3 sat dish and local's with 2 HR20's, and my strength peaks @ 87 on most transponders. On my 2 HR10's, they peak @ 89, and both my R10's peak at @ 86, so if you were in that ballpark, I would think that the install was fine, maybe something else. The BBC's are not weatherproof, so if they are installed outside, that may be your issue at this point. I don't have the BBC's installed since I am not using the new dish, and don't have HD locals, and probably won't for quite some time.
As far as poor installers, I think that is a problem that alot of us can relate too. I have dealt with a fair share myself thru the last few years since when my locals finally came online a couple years ago, I was having huge issues with about anything and everything there for a bit. Ended up having to use a powered switch to clear up the switching issues I was having. Sucks that DTV didn't pay for the powered switch, since they said it was an "atypical" install?
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
I have had one case where snow accumulating on the dish interrupted my signal. Today (I'm in Seattle just north of you) I'm having no problems at all, and I have snow on the ground here at the house.

It may be you have a marginal dish alignment, or it may be that snow accumulation on the dish is causing a problem. If you can reach the dish, brush the snow off and you should be okay. If you can't reach the dish, try spraying it with a hose to wash the snow off.

Carl

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the replies and help. It appears the snow outage was normal because my clear day signals are from 88 to 98. Do people in Minnesota have satellite? It seems they would be out most of the winter.
Is there something to coat the dish with like RainX for windshields that would prevent the snow from sticking? I think my problem was a combination of snow in the air plus build up on the dish. It stuck.
Question #2. Is there anyway to watch recorded programs when it can't find the satellites?
Question #3. What about the lack of grounding? Does it matter? Should I call Direct TV and complain / ask for a fix?
Regards,
Doug

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
hobodog said:
I think my problem was a combination of snow in the air plus build up on the dish. It stuck.
Question #3. What about the lack of grounding? Does it matter? Should I call Direct TV and complain / ask for a fix?
Regards,
Doug
Snow stuck on the dish at the right spot will definately cause you signal problems, that most likely is what caused your problem.

As to grounding, it is an electrical code requirement for safety reasons. Yes, you should have that corrected. However, there are many installations that are not grounded that work just fine. It is almost certainly not related to your signal problem.

Carl

·
AllStar
92 Posts
hobodog said:
Is this normal?

Might not be the snow at all, might be the heavy cloud cover....

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
hobodog said:
Thanks all for the replies and help. It appears the snow outage was normal because my clear day signals are from 88 to 98. Do people in Minnesota have satellite? It seems they would be out most of the winter.
Is there something to coat the dish with like RainX for windshields that would prevent the snow from sticking? I think my problem was a combination of snow in the air plus build up on the dish. It stuck.
Question #2. Is there anyway to watch recorded programs when it can't find the satellites?
Regards,
Doug
Although I have not tried it I have heard of the trick using cooking spray on the dish, supposedly it prevents the snow from sticking to the dish. Makes sense I guess since that's what the spray is for. In fact my installer told me the trick again this weekend when he was putting up my new AT9.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Mike Huss said:
Although I have not tried it I have heard of the trick using cooking spray on the dish, supposedly it prevents the snow from sticking to the dish. Makes sense I guess since that's what the spray is for. In fact my installer told me the trick again this weekend when he was putting up my new AT9.
I believe there are heating units available that warm up the dish itself to melt the ice and snow off of it.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,448 Posts
I too had one installer tell me that spraying a cooking spray on the dish would prevent snow from sticking, then someone else told me that was only a stop gap measure that might work briefly at best. I didn't try it anyway as we rarely get measureable snow around here anymore. And yes I am one of those weird people who actually love snow. Probably wouldn't so much if I had to drive in it admittedly.

Now PoitNarf has a good suggestion, especially if you live in an area where heavy snowfall is the norm.

As for me I apparently bring out the sunshine because no matter where I move to it immediately stops getting snow there.:(

·
AllStar
93 Posts
hobodog said:
Is this normal?

I had my HR-20 installed last Monday. I had to have them back out on Friday because even with modest rain I lost the 99 satellite for local HD. I was getting a 60% signal with no rain and 30% with rain. After the tweak I was over 80%.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
This time of year and late spring are the worst times for me since we're more likely to get mushy snow or rain turning to snow that sticks to the dish. When everything is very cold, the snow is drier, no buildup. Fortunately, I have a dish location that, while mildly ugly, is handy for brushing with a broom.

As for grounding, the local supervisor insists everyone grounds. He's run into situations where dry winds across the dish cause enough static electricity to be a problem. So for the first time, my dish system is well grounded even tho this location has extremely low potential for lighting strike (the dish is well below my roof peaks.)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Michigan here. We've had a blizzard before with 2" an hour and never lost a signal. Only time during winter weather I have lost signal is if it's wet and crusty type snow that accumulates with ice. Simple brush off takes care of the problem. But light fluffy stuff has nearly buried my dish before with no loss of signal.

·
Legend
191 Posts
PoitNarf said:
I believe there are heating units available that warm up the dish itself to melt the ice and snow off of it.
Just std "heat tape" on the back of the dish would do. pick it up at any hardware store.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
My Dad's dish is roof-mounted and he lives at 6000+ feet. Inevitably, every Christmas when we visit, at some point or another, I'm out there throwing snowballs at it to try and clear it off. I better get him some of that tape! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.