DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
AllStar
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a SWM-8 switch a few weeks ago to replace my old Zinwell Switch.
My Slimline dish is on a 6' pole at the edge of my yard. The cables are buried in plastic pipe 12" underground. The run to the house where the SWM-8 is installed is 80 feet. It is mounted underneath my deck with 2, 1x4 splitters
feeding two HD DVR's, two HD receivers, and two legacy receivers. All worked fine till last night.

We had a severe lightning storm that hit 2 trees in my yard. It peeled the bark off both trees. My buried phone line runs from the corner of my yard, between the trees to the same place the SWM-8 switch is mounted. I have no land line phone service, no DSL internet and Verizon can't come by to look till June 28.

My question is: Has the switch been hit, or might it be the buried RGf-6 or the LNB's? I suspect it is the SWMm-8. Putting back the Zinwell will be time consuming, but probably is the easiest thing to check.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Godfather
484 Posts
jostarr said:
<snip>

My question is: Has the switch been hit, or might it be the buried RGf-6 or the LNB's? I suspect it is the SWMm-8. Putting back the Zinwell will be time consuming, but probably is the easiest thing to check.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.
Having done this for a long enough time to say, 2 zaps that close, and i'd put my money on the LNB and the swim8 being shot. I would expect both splitters and the power inserter to also be gone. If you got lucky, none of your IRD's will be dead but any IRD's that you had plugged into the phone system are more than likely dead.

But, I have also done this long enough to say that any or all of those parts might still be good because lightning is a fickle creature.

·
Godfather
273 Posts
jostarr said:
I have no land line phone service, no DSL internet and Verizon can't come by to look till June 28.
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but you have no phone service, and the phone company can't get their for two weeks.:eek: I know Verizon is trying to shed all its landline business, but that seems a bit absurd. Have you called your PSC.

·
AllStar
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, but I called Verizon again this morning and asked to expedite the service call
and was told that I am scheduled for June 28. If they can get there any earlier,
they will let me know. I don't see how a PS rep could help.

·
AllStar
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put my Zinwell back into service. All TV's work again. Found SWM-8 power supply defective. Not sure if SWM-8 switch and\or splitters are defective.

Also, one TV, a 26" Sylvania, apparently got zapped

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
jostarr said:
I put my Zinwell back into service. All TV's work again. Found SWM-8 power supply defective. Not sure if SWM-8 switch and\or splitters are defective.

Also, one TV, a 26" Sylvania, apparently got zapped
This seems to reinforce the value of having equipment on surge protection whenever possible.

Without starting any debate. I now even have my garage door openers on surge protectors specifically designed for that purpose, following an incident 2 years ago where several neighbors lost thousands of dollars in equipment (phones, HDTVs, etc.) from a lightening strike that actually hit 2 miles away.

In my case, I lost one circuit board on one garage door opener (replaced under waranty) - and everything else here was fine (its all protected with battery backup and surge protection). Lesson learned.

In your case, I think its reasonable to assume the SWiM unit is damaged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.