DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DTV 5LNB dish sits high due to nearby trees. We live in the lightning capital of the USA, central Florida. Is there a lightning surge protector for the cable lines running from the dish to the receiver?

Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
henw said:
My DTV 5LNB dish sits high due to nearby trees. We live in the lightning capital of the USA, central Florida. Is there a lightning surge protector for the cable lines running from the dish to the receiver?

Tom
Not that would do any good from a direct hit. The best you can do is ground the dish, use a UPS and keep your home owners insurance up to date:)

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
If lightning hits anywhere on your home you are pretty much going to have issues. About the only exception is a professional grounding rod like used on barns, high rises, etc.

I would not worry too much about it, I know plenty with roof mounted dishes in Florida with no issues in many many years.

·
Godfather
452 Posts
henw said:

Tom
Lightening rods, like what are used on most golf courses would help out. They would draw the lightening to them, instead of to the dish.

But if you take a direct hit, you're SOL regardless. Like everyone else said, make sure your HO insurance has a lightening clause, and use a UPS. Proper grounding also helps, but it only goes so far.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
Not many inline coax surge protectors will pass the frequencies needed, be sure and check the specs. There is very little chance of a surge coming into the receiver by way of the dish, the phone and power lines pose a MUCH greater risk. Again, none of these "surge" protectors will protect you from a direct lightning hit. If you ever , hopefully not, have your home hit, I have twice, I would be much more concerned for the people and pets, it isn't pretty.

·
Icon
760 Posts
i have dish network HD service and it passes that signal just fine.

as for where to put it, there are no requirements. it is recommended to put on at each TV, so past the ground block is fine. i have mine inside because it does not say if it is weather resistant. i would try to put it as near as possible to the point of entry though.

·
Godfather
499 Posts
There are whole house surge protectors (Siemans make one) that are installed at the circuit breaker panel by a professional electrician (about $500). They are designed to protect the major appliances in the house from power surges caused by lightning entering the house through the power grid, which is much more likely than a direct hit. Not having TV will not be as annoying than having to replace a 2000 dollar fridge and the house air conditioning system (in Florida).

You still need to protect sensitive electronics with ups/surge protection units as they are more fragile. But the ups will have a better chance of surviving a really big hit.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
whole house protectors won't fully help items with coax/phone lines though, only work on surges sent through powerlines.
cable/dsl modems, sat boxes, tv's hooked to an ota antenna won't get full benefit from just this.
however they are useful and if possible a good thing to have, some insurance companies (at least up here) offer incentives for this type of item.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
David MacLeod said:
whole house protectors won't fully help items with coax/phone lines though, only work on surges sent through powerlines.
cable/dsl modems, sat boxes, tv's hooked to an ota antenna won't get full benefit from just this.
however they are useful and if possible a good thing to have, some insurance companies (at least up here) offer incentives for this type of item.
They are especially good since most of the items you listed are a hassle, but fairly small and inexpensive compared to bigger items like refrigerators, water heaters, HVAC, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.