DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew just moved and had phone and DSL connected. All wiring was in place and just needed the outside juice. A service tech also came to install E* but said it might overload and burn this wiring because it was too strong. He suggested he go with D* because it uses less power. We don't understand why. Anyone know what this means?:confused:

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
paulie23 said:
My nephew just moved and had phone and DSL connected. All wiring was in place and just needed the outside juice. A service tech also came to install E* but said it might overload and burn this wiring because it was too strong. He suggested he go with D* because it uses less power. We don't understand why. Anyone know what this means?:confused:
It probably means you need a new installer, one that knows what he is installing instead of trying to sell the competing product. Both DISH and Directv send 18 Volts DC on the coax to power the LNB.:)

·
Hall Of Fame
2,498 Posts
chainblu said:
I'm thinking he got there and saw the house was wired with RG59 instead of RG6.
I seriously doubt if that was the issue. New homes are being pre-wired with RG-6 and have been for years. And my guess is that the installer was talking about the AC wiring, not the coax cable.

As Bob said, it just means that he needs a new installer. I know one installer that told a family that they couldn't get DISH Network because it required "special voltage" from the electric company and it wasn't available in that area. The weather was really bad that day and my guess is that they guy didn't want to do the install so he lied.

·
Legend
109 Posts
Bill R said:
As Bob said, it just means that he needs a new installer. I know one installer that told a family that they couldn't get DISH Network because it required "special voltage" from the electric company and it wasn't available in that area. The weather was really bad that day and my guess is that they guy didn't want to do the install so he lied.
ROTF

That is without a doubt the stupidist excuse I have ever heard!

I think you're right. He either didn't want to do it or didn't want to come back at a better time. How can anyone be hired as an installer and make that claim? :nono2:

People in Mexico with illegal electric taps get DBS receivers to work just fine. FREE is the only thing "special" about that electrical hookup. lol

·
Legend
201 Posts
Bill R said:
I seriously doubt if that was the issue. New homes are being pre-wired with RG-6 and have been for years. And my guess is that the installer was talking about the AC wiring, not the coax cable.

Oh No. I run into new homes all the time where the contractor and or home owner is trying to cut corners and prewire all with 59. Then they mad at me for having to string new rg6.

·
Super Moderator
53,120 Posts
My father in law bought a new home wired with 14 Guage electric. Cheap stuff when 12 Guage is available. I can imagine a contractor cutting corners and buying a little less copper.

(My father in law just built a replacement new home in the woods. That one is wired much better.)

·
Legend
130 Posts
dartonviper said:
Bill R said:

Oh No. I run into new homes all the time where the contractor and or home owner is trying to cut corners and prewire all with 59. Then they mad at me for having to string new rg6.
Ditto,I seldom run into a prewired home that is right, unless I did the prewire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.