DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This drives me CRAZY!!!! I've seen some say change the channel, push this button and that button, thats BULL!!!! They should be able to fix this! Maybe no one is having this problem but I've had it BAD since day one. Some things are unwatchable, Sports Center comes to mind!

· Cool Member
26 Posts
I just had the HR20 installed today and noticed the lip sync problem right away. I've been checking all my connection and cables to see it that is the problem. Some channels seem worse than others. I have the optical out going into a converter to have a digital coax out because all of my audio receiver's optical inputs are full. So I didn't know if that was causing the problem.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
MBA said:
This drives me CRAZY!!!! I've seen some say change the channel, push this button and that button, thats BULL!!!! They should be able to fix this! Maybe no one is having this problem but I've had it BAD since day one. Some things are unwatchable, Sports Center comes to mind!
I don't know if you are comparing the HR20 to something else or not, but with satellite tv (and even some cable), and especially HD, lip-sync has been a long standing and highly variable problem.

I'm on the Samsung thread on AVS Forum and there are hundreds, if not thousands of posts on this topic that have NOTHING to do with satellite. More recent amps are including built in variable delay to help. Upscale DVD players, like the OPPO have built in delay to help with this problem.

Other sat receivers I have had showed the problem periodically, some worse than others, some times much worse than other times. HD creates some of the problem itself, in that there is a lot more info to decode, and keep in sync.

All these comments aren't an excuse...it's just that it may be hard to isolate the problem to the HR20 with everything else that is going on. I'm watching CNN right now, and there is no delay whatever. I watched a recorded movie the other day that I recorded from TNT-HD and saw no lip-sync problem at all. I watched a sports show over the weekend where it was absolutely TERRIBLY out of sync.

I don't have MPEG-4, so let's start there. All my movies so far have been recorded in HD from the HD Package (mostly TNT-HD or Universal). I haven't seen any problems and I recently did a lot of FF during the movies to skip the commercials. Lip-sync was fine. I use HDMI to the TV, but audio is via optical to my Onkyo Integra receiver. DD 5.x works fine.

I don't have an answer for you, just mentioning that there are a LOT of variables to consider. If it only happens when you view a recorded movie (and after doing a little playing with the transport (FF/WW/SLIP, etc.), then it's probably the HR20. If you start watching the movie and don't touch the transport and it's still out of sync (and you aren't using HDMI for your audio), then it may have nothing to do with the HR20. If, on the other hand, you have good sync until you use the transport, then that would point at the HR20.

Lots of variables, hard to pin down, so it can be quite confusing and not a little annoying. See if you can isolate it to the HR20, and then go from there.

· Godfather
272 Posts
I've had lip sync issues with OTA, and with SD DirecTV feeds with my Series 1 and Series 2 tivos. Some channels are worse than others. The PBS HD OTA feed here in Boston is really quite horrible sometimes.

It turns out that getting digital audio to line up with a video signal is a pretty hard problem to solve. And that is apparently why we are seeing it pop up more and more in the broadcast media. :(

· Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hasan, Thanks for the input, I am using HDMI to tv and optical to a Onkyo 601 amp, so maybe this is the problem. I notice it more on live TV,rather than recordings. Hopefully it can be fixed.Thanks

· Legend
181 Posts
I have no problems, using component video switched through a Yamaha receiver and optical audio to the receiver.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
ShapeGSX said:
I've had lip sync issues with OTA, and with SD DirecTV feeds with my Series 1 and Series 2 tivos. Some channels are worse than others. The PBS HD OTA feed here in Boston is really quite horrible sometimes.
You raise a good point... I've seen sync issues with my limited exposure to OTA. Take that sync issue and combine it with any latency of MPEG-4 and you start building up that delay.

· Legend
107 Posts
With SD TV signals there is a international standard that locks the video and audio. With the multiple variations of HD signals, there is not a standard in place that locks the video with the audio. So we will probably see the lipsync issue for a few years until the networks get better at broadcasting in HD.

With the last update on my H20 this past July by D*, I have seen less lipsync issues. It is a software problem, so hopefully when you get your systems patched with the lastest sotware you will see less lipsync issues. or possibly more issues!! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.