DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Icon
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There must be such an animal, but I can't find it. Is anyone keeping an ongoing list of the stations that are off of Dish due to carriage disputes? I'm thinking of going back to satellite but Dish's carriage issues are so confusing that I don't know how I could consider them.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
You can go to this site to see if your area is affected by a current retransmission contract dispute: MyDISH

If you can get your locals OTA, then you can subscribe to Dish and save $12/month.

·
Icon
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, while I appreciate that (we ARE a Tegna market) I was thinking about a comprehensive list of everything that's been pulled, even those from long ago. For instance, I'm so far out of it that I don't know if the HBO pull was ever resolved. Frankly, I'm trying to compare Dish and Direct and am having a hard time with programming.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
HBO was resolved. RSNs are gone "forever". Tegna is the big OTA group currently out. Sinclair was settled.

The score card gets complicated. Do you have a list of everything that ever left DIRECTV (even briefly)?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,716 Posts

·
Icon
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The score card gets complicated. Do you have a list of everything that ever left DIRECTV (even briefly)?
Oh Lord, no! I was thinking what was gone from each provider at the current time.

I've been away for quite a while, more than five years. I seem to remember a time when Dish would list channels as being in a certain package, even though they were gone due to a dispute. If I can trust what I see online then I'm half way home. MANY thanks for the links above, especially the printable lineup cards. For some reason both providers seem intent in displaying their lineups online in a form that makes them difficult to compare.

I appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
Good. I was concerned that you were looking for past performance to predict future results. :)

I believe DISH has been better about taking channels off of the website during disputes. They may still be on PDFs (check the date in the corner). I don't recall any current national dispute other than Tegna for their local channels. The other channel removals (such as RSNs) are "permanent" and should not be on DISH's website. Contracts expire, channels go away. (NBC Sports went away for all providers since the network closed down.)

·
Icon
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh no, nobody knows what tomorrow will bring! My main interest in coming back to satellite is that BOTH of the providers have DVR hardware that is FAR superior to anything I can get with Spectrum or any other "in the cloud" service. And I can't imagine TV without a DVR. I'm currently on Spectrum with a TiVo Roamio. But it is getting old and Spectrum keeps blowing hot and cold about how long it will continue to support Cablecard. I'm leaning toward DirecTV, but my GOSH they have become expensive. Dish seems to be a bit of a better deal but if I'm going to spend this kind of money, I want to make sure (well, as sure as anyone can be), that the channels I'm buying will be there.

Thanks again for all the info!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
There must be such an animal, but I can't find it.
I nominate you to establish and maintain such a list. I don't think a comprehensive list exists.

TVNewsCheck offers this page but it isn't very comprehensive:

The DIRECTV elements of the list comprise only two Viacom disputes.

The Wikipedia listing is pretty sparse as well.

All I ask is that any "potential" disputes either be clearly noted as such or left off the list entirely.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Good. I was concerned that you were looking for past performance to predict future results. :)

I believe DISH has been better about taking channels off of the website during disputes. They may still be on PDFs (check the date in the corner). I don't recall any current national dispute other than Tegna for their local channels. The other channel removals (such as RSNs) are "permanent" and should not be on DISH's website. Contracts expire, channels go away. (NBC Sports went away for all providers since the network closed down.)
According to Tegna, the channel are still available, but Dish cannot use them until a contract is signed. Tegna wants too much money and I have heard their sub channels are to be included in the contract. Crime, Qwest, and Twist are the three carried on our local KGW. Interesting that Sinclair offers all of their channel diginets for free on streaming, but Tegna. I think they do have a streaming feed for Qwest on Roku. I get all of their sub channels, and to be, none are worth a dime. Now Sinclair at least has Comet and Charge!, and Nexstar has Antenna TV.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
According to Tegna, the channel are still available, but Dish cannot use them until a contract is signed.
That is like saying 4K TVs are available at Walmart ... If you pay for them. Duh, Tegna. Now pick a reasonable price and see if DISH pays for carriage.

DISH does not have the space to carry subnets for each individual market (with local ads and any other local differences). If Tegna has a national channel they want carried and the price is good I am sure DISH would consider it.

·
Icon
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, in this market (Austin) absolutely none of the local stations with a major subchannel package (Fox, NBC [Nexstar] and Univision) are doing anything but passing through the national streams. Putting each of those local subnets up would be a criminal waste of satellite space.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Block Communications vs Dish started Jan 13

WOHL-TV, which manages the ABC and CBS channels for Lima, Ohio; WLIO-TV, the NBC and Fox channels for Lima; WDRB-TV, the Fox channel for Louisville, Kentucky; WAND-TV, the NBC channel in Decatur, Illinois; and WBKI-TV, the CW affiliate for Louisville.

Lima has lost all four networks.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
That is like saying 4K TVs are available at Walmart ... If you pay for them. Duh, Tegna. Now pick a reasonable price and see if DISH pays for carriage.

DISH does not have the space to carry subnets for each individual market (with local ads and any other local differences). If Tegna has a national channel they want carried and the price is good I am sure DISH would consider it.
That is true, I am just reporting what I was told. I presume "Crime", "Quest" and "Twist" would be offered with national feeds just like the rest of the diginets are. I never thought Dish would carry individual diginets for each city. I would hope other more interesting channels would be available first like Antenna TV, Decades, and METV+ I talked to a lady a while back that got tired of the rate increases with Direct, so she switched to Dish. She likes several of the diginets that Direct did not offer.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
Tegna does own those sub channels ... so they could distribute a national feed. They can pay for carriage or offer carriage at a reasonable price.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
Block Communications vs Dish started Jan 13

WOHL-TV, which manages the ABC and CBS channels for Lima, Ohio; WLIO-TV, the NBC and Fox channels for Lima; WDRB-TV, the Fox channel for Louisville, Kentucky; WAND-TV, the NBC channel in Decatur, Illinois; and WBKI-TV, the CW affiliate for Louisville.

Lima has lost all four networks.
All done. Enjoy your channels.

·
Icon
823 Posts
Is HBO really there? Per the website, we get HBO-E/W/2/fam/sig/latino an sposedly mapped to 310-315 but when i look at my guide none of them are there. Same for Cinemax/5star/more 307-309. Guide only shows Showtime/TMC/Starz/Encore channels. You'd think if they offered em, you'd be able to actually view them in the Guide w/out actually having to Sub to them.

Plus then the price, 15$ for 6 channels of hbo? 10$ for just 3 cinemax? showtime at least is $10 for 10 channels/starz 10$ for 8.

Starz/encore looks like best value, 9 channels for $6

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
HBO and Cinemax only appears for subscribers. Hidden from non-subscribers.
4 HBO and 2 Cinemax via satellite, 3 more streamed to Hopper/Joeys (w/Internet).

HBO subscription includes HBO Max so there is on demand via DISH receiver plus full library online and via apps.

Reactions: harsh

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is HBO really there? Per the website, we get HBO-E/W/2/fam/sig/latino an sposedly mapped to 310-315 but when i look at my guide none of them are there. Same for Cinemax/5star/more 307-309. Guide only shows Showtime/TMC/Starz/Encore channels. You'd think if they offered em, you'd be able to actually view them in the Guide w/out actually having to Sub to them.
The problem is that none of the HBO or Cinemax channels are carried in SD format. HD feeds are generally always hidden from non-subscribers. (Also, as noted above, some of the HBO and Cinemax feeds are streaming-only, also always hidden from non-subscribers.) Those other premium package feeds you see in the guide are all SD, unless you actually subscribe. If Dish had any SD feeds for HBO or Cinemax, then they would likely list those channels in the guide for non-subscribers (as "advertisement" for the package) just like they do with the other packages.

4 HBO and 2 Cinemax via satellite, 3 more streamed to Hopper/Joeys (w/Internet).
Don't forget the Wally, which is also capable of receiving streaming channels. This may be a cheaper alternative for those who do not want a Hopper.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't recall any current national dispute other than Tegna for their local channels.
Although it is also owned by Tegna, I will note that the national feed of True Crime Network has been off of Dish for a very long time, in a separate dispute. (Or at least, this particular channel was removed earlier than the locals, due to its contract expiring sooner. True Crime has been missing since 10/31/2020.) The Info channel about this dispute was only very recently hidden:
Other Changes
252 INFO True Crime 110° TP 16 SD Hidden – Hidden flag added. (was SD Instant Order)
252 INFO True Crime 72.7° TP 31 SD MPEG4 Hidden – Hidden flag added. (was SD MPEG4 Instant Order)

This means that the Info slate channel no longer shows up in the guide unless you have a package that included this channel. (For instance, I no longer see channel 252 in my guide, due to this change.) The fact that the Info slate channel about this dispute is still there at all, though (after such a very long time) is a good sign that Dish may still be negotiating to bring it back. Normally, such an Info slate would be completely removed fairly quickly, if the channel were "permanently" removed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts