DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
AllStar
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've complained about it since getting my HR20 when they first became available yet there seems to be no effort to cure this major problem. If people like to watch live TV when on the list page, that's fine but there should be either an option to turn it off, or an option to set it to auto off when both tuners are currently recording.

Last thursday I started watching Survivor after it had been recording for 50 minutes, the list screen came up showing the guy getting voted off. THANKS DTV!

I WANT to use the HR20 for recording Lakers games but it keeps showing the live game when I hit list. I've had to start hitting mute, then standing in front of the TV so that nobody inadvertently sees the score. Navigating the menus from that position is awkward to say the least.

It first happened to me when I recorded my first baseball game, started to watch it well into the recording, and the first thing I see is the final score.

I often record two things at once, since both tuners are active, it's going to show something I don't want to see unless I luck out and hit list during a commercial.

For any HR20 development people, please fix this ASAP!

Peter Lehrack

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Seems like a minor feature/option, but I think it's important as well..for the same reasons (recording sports for later viewing).

·
AllStar
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bwaldron said:
Seems like a minor feature/option, but I think it's important as well..for the same reasons (recording sports for later viewing).
Thanks for the support, but how is it minor when it defeats the purpose of using the device?

Peter

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
plehrack said:
Thanks for the support, but how is it minor when it defeats the purpose of using the device?

Peter
:up:

·
Godfather
336 Posts
Before you turn on your tv press the list button then do not look up in the upper right hand corner navigate down to the survivor listing and play it. Turn on your home theater receiver for sound and you are all set.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
plehrack said:

Peter
I think what he is trying to say, there are major functional problems like not recording or creating failed recordings, that are more pressing vs the issue that someone might see some content that they don't want to see in the PIL box. I agree it would be nice to turn it off, if for not reason but to give more screen realestate to support more guide data. Right now I am all about them fixing the sev 1 bugs.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
If D* considers this it should be a toggle to turn off the "option". I like this feature....in fact you can highlight the live TV and actually change the channel within these menus. Now granted I'm not for watching TV in this mode but this PIP mode is nice for just the opposite reason....I like to see live TV as I'm looking at other menu items.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
plehrack said:
For any HR20 development people, please fix this ASAP!
Wow, I'm in 100% agreement with you, but the HR20 Wish List Survey has this @ number 45 out of 47. I'm disappointed that a number of people feel negative about even making it an option. Sure, if you want it on it's already there, but it's too easy to spoil the outcome of a game or even a regularly scheduled show. Alas, I don't have high hopes in this getting corrected.

·
Legend
144 Posts
Funny--it's one of my favorite HR20 features, but I'd never thought of the "spoiling the ending" possibility and hadn't encountered it myself. The odds seem pretty small of it actually ruining a show like that, in the grand scheme of things that actually need fixing. I'd way rather have the guide come up as the guide, which ranked #4 in the survey (which I just took).

·
AllStar
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the input, I also agree that this issue ranks below getting a show to actually record but I do think that it is still a major, and somewhat easily fixable issue. Since 75% of my TV viewing is sports related and the chances of seeing the score (which, due to the new 'always on' scoreboard is high) renders much of the game a complete bore, I consider it to be more than just a nuisance. As far as just not looking, when I have a room full of people watching a 65" HDTV, it's not a simple as it may seem.

I would never suggest that DTV remove the PIL feature, just have an option to turn it off. If all other development needs to be halted to work on the recording issues, the box may never meet it's already questionable potential.

just my 2 cents,

Peter

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
This is actually an oft requested feature for the Tivo and DirecTV complied. Actually their way old stand alone receivers have always had this feature. So they carried it forward with their own DVRs.

Just goes to show you can't please everyone. :D

And yes, I think it certainly should be an option, but one that will probably never be seen.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
I remember the DirecTV feedback to this as, "press pause if it bothers you"..but you could definitely pause it in "spoiling" frame.

All of these suggested measures: pausing, muting, not looking, putting on glasses of a different prescription, are rediculous.

We should be able to toggle it off. I nominate one of the colored buttons for this.

Minimally, if your recording 2 shows at once it should automatically shut off.

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
I like the fact that what's live shows up in all menus. I always thought this was a huge drawback to my D*Tivo, after using other DirecTV boxes which had this feature for many years. I wouldn't be opposed to the option, but I have to believe that the people asking for this are by far in the minority.

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Twosted said:
!rolling :uglyhamme Welcome to the world of the HR20.
In the software world, verification is everything (kind of tongue-in-cheek talking about the HR20). But in general you can figure a 1:4 development to verification ratio (so for every hour of development there should be four hours of verification). That's a minimum of 5 hours verification for a feature that is not critical to the box. I wouldn't expect to see "wish list" things atleast until the end of Q107 (when, at the rate of improvments, this box should be as stable or better than a TiVO).

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
jbart610 said:
I wouldn't expect to see "wish list" things atleast until the end of Q107 (when, at the rate of improvments, this box should be as stable or better than a TiVO).
Depends on which Wish List item you are talking about. "Dual Live Buffers?" yeah, that will be a while (if ever). "Faster Fast Forward?" Hopefully this is sooner rather than later.

·
AllStar
65 Posts
I love the window feature, but there are occasional times I don't want to see it. I wouldn't so much want to have to turn it on or off as a permanent menu setting, but as someone said, it would be great if one of the colored buttons would just black it out.

Here's an idea that might actually give incentive for Directv to do it. How about if you hit whatever designated color button to block out the window, it shows a commercial? Those people that want it off all the time would probably hate it, but it would be a good tradeoff for the ability to turn it off with a button press on occasion.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.