DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm here in IL and a couple of weeks ago, we had a really windy storm. This was about the time when EF was rolling out.

During that night, all of the local HD stations were really pixeling, I chalked it up to just rain fade...because during that time I also forced the new software (before FA) just in case...I get pixeling sometimes and it was really no bother, but this is BAD. So I went to bed...

It was still doing it the next day, I could get it to "go away" by checking the signal strength through all of the sats.

I caled D* and they sent out a tech. The tech's inline meter only had the 119/110 on it, he said it could be a bad LNB but signal strength was in the 90's, with the exception of 99, transponder 1 and 5 were between 60-70. We grounded the system throught the grounding block and put in the BBC, it went away, until I decided to check the singal strength again, then the pixeling started again. He ordered another HR20.

Go the HR20 this week and installed it. During installation it said 103 failed and 99 did not show up. Activated the unit and 103 and 99 showed up in the signal strength menu. Pixeling still was on and only on the local HD stations (whether or not the program was HD). The HD on the 70+ channels were fine and so were the others channels.

D* is scheduled to come back this Thursday. I think I either have a bad LNB or a bad multiswitch. One question I have is on 103 (they say it's a flood beam here) I only get signals on the odd transponder and 0 on the even (I only have 1 through 6, the rest are NA).

Oh I also get a 771 searching for sat on both tuner 1 and tuner 2 flashing for a second while it's pixeling. Once I knew that the local HD were on 103, I sat on the signal strength screen and saw the signals go to NA. on transponder 1 and 5. both tuners. Otherwise all the odd transponder are in the 90-95 strength.

So did I just ask a question??? Sorry I had to get this off my chest.:D :sure:

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Sounds to me like an alignment issue. You can have 90s on 101, 110, and 119 and still miss the boat on 103. You have to be in the center of the 101 beam to get the KA frequency on 103 and 99, especially when there is any rain between you and the sats. (Like south and west of you.)

I'd make sure the D* person aligns the dish using the correct alignment procedure described in the videos and documentation: solid signal.

And yeah, you could have problems with a bad line if 101 refuses to show up. Likely not the HR20, but then again I've been wrong before...

Cheers,
Tom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.