DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
HR44-700 - Insignia NS-50L240A13, C51-500 - Element ELEFW3916
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been experiencing random audio dropouts and/or pixelation on all of my local channels (ABC 16, CBS 22, NBC 28, etc.) National channels like ESPN are not affected. I know it is not a bad signal or bad weather as my local channels broadcast on 103S tpn#19 which almost always shows a 99 on the signal strength test. I have already reset my receiver and that did not fix the problem. So maybe it is a direcTV issue or local station issue. Any other help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
What is important to watch is the signal level of the spot beam when you're having problems. ESPN is on 99W so that may not be a great choice. I'd suggest checking ESPN U or MTV the next time you have a problem as they are on 103W. The satellites are pretty close together so it seems rather unlikely that 99W will survive where 103W falters.

I there's some serious weather (as sometimes happens in PA this time of year), one might expect uplink (signal reception and transmission to the master site) problems related to OTA rain fade.

The fact that you're using a Genie with a client makes this a little more difficult to track down as the Genie does all of the heavy lifting.

If you know someone with DIRECTV (perhaps even DIRECTV Stream) in your area that can confirm (or counter) your findings, that would be helpful in eliminating (or identifying) where the fault might be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, thanks for the info! It’s a Slimline 3-LNB that I’ve had since I upgraded to Genie in October 2016. Before that I had the Slimline 5-LNB which mainly was for viewing the local channels in SD (since they are on 119 in my market, and 3-LNB does not use 119 as far as I know)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
If it's happening only on local channels and it's intermittent, it's likely a failing lnb.
How would an LNB distinguish between CONUS and LIL channels?

On the IF side, everything is being converted to SWiM channels so the same question would apply.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
It's a 3 lnb, you do know that, yes? One points at 101, one at 99, and one at 103. One of those could be failing when the other two are fine.
If CONUS channels on 103W aren't impacted (this hasn't yet been confirmed by the TS), then LIL channels on 103W shouldn't be impacted either. The LNB can't distinguish between CONUS beams and spot beams.

If there's an AGC issue and the spot beams are over-driven in the block conversion to IF, I suppose that could be a problem but that seems unlikely.

·
Legend
113 Posts
Since many local channels are on spot beams your location might be toward edge of the spot beam coverage.

Best to make sure dish pointing adjustments are best they can be.

I have also seen some TV station uplinks not optimum with pixelations caused in station uplink feed. You can get weather attenuation on your downlink or on station's uplink feeds at independent times.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
Since many local channels are on spot beams your location might be toward edge of the spot beam coverage.
Scranton is within the primary contour of the Baltimore spot beam that serves up the local channels.

From SatBeams.com (DIRECTV 12 spot beam A1B1):

Ecoregion Map World Slope Font

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CONUS channels on 103W
Which satellite is 103w? Looking on signal strength and signal meters gives me 103ca, 103cb, or 103s.
this hasn't yet been confirmed by the TS
Well I did go to ESPN (which is on 99CA) and that was unaffected

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
103CA and 103CB are 103w. There are two satellites at that location.
There are actually three DIRECTV satellites in use at 103W: DIRECTV 10, DIRECTV 12 (where the spot beam is located) and DIRECTV 15.

As long as a signal is constant from any one of the satellites at 103W, we know that the problem isn't with the DISH or LNB.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts