DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always assumed D* was getting the local channel feeds via direct uplink at the respective local station. Today I noticed the D* local analog channels from Ft. Piece FL stations were snowy.

This must mean there is a local area centralized D* uplink location and they are actual picking up, at least some of the local stations, from direct OTA reception, in my case, somewhere in the West Palm Beach area. Maybe they contract out to a local cable company antenna site.

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
There are a variety of methods used to re-transmit local OTA channels. Ideally DirecTV negotiates for a direct digital feed (usually fiber optic), but sometimes has to settle for an antenna feed. Don't know if they use their own antenna feed or contract with the local company.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Actually, D* has signed two major fiber contracts in the past couple years. First with Level 3 (actually an extension of their current contract) and now also with Verizon. It seems D* would prefer the better solution rather than rely on OTA with the associated interference issues.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Legend
191 Posts
At least in Albuquerque, KNME (PBS) acts as a aggregator of the local signals (over the air) They have an antenna tuned to each stations tower. Seems kind of silly to use separate antennas, since they are almost all located at Cedar Crest at the top of the Sandia Mountains. From there, the signals are fed via fiber to Colorado for uplink to the satellites.
PS; Dish uses the same method. Their equipment it right next to D*'s at KNME.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
Each market has one local facility used to gather up and uplink the local signals. The addresses can be found on the DirecTV web site if you're curious.

Most OTA locals are received actually OTA, not via fiber, at least once you're out of the top few markets. Most if not all of my local stations are received OTA as if they want a fiber link the local station has to pay for it. Most don't want to pay that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.