DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok starting about 2 to 3 weeks ago I have noticed that the local channels are breaking up or no picture at all in the morning on a regular basis from about 7:00 to 7:30 am central standard time. It acts and looks like signal loss due to rain fade but the skys are clear and if I check the signal streangth all sats are coming in with 80 + on the readings. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if there is anything I can do to correct it. At night when I am watching these channels I do not experience the problem it just seems to be in the morning and started up 2 to 3 weeks ago. Also if it matters I get the local Kansas City channels.

Thanks

· Hall Of Fame
1,779 Posts
HD or SD??
Dish?
Setup multiswitch etc

Doctor j

· Godfather
467 Posts
tboan02 said:
Ok starting about 2 to 3 weeks ago I have noticed that the local channels are breaking up or no picture at all in the morning on a regular basis from about 7:00 to 7:30 am central standard time. It acts and looks like signal loss due to rain fade but the skys are clear and if I check the signal streangth all sats are coming in with 80 + on the readings. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if there is anything I can do to correct it. At night when I am watching these channels I do not experience the problem it just seems to be in the morning and started up 2 to 3 weeks ago. Also if it matters I get the local Kansas City channels.

Thanks
I posted the same problem in the Q&A forum but happening from late morning to early afternoon. And starting about 3 weeks ago. They are fine at night. It's just the high def channels that black out (not even a "searching" popup) - I can get the sd ones fine.

· Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the HD channels I need to turn back on the SD and see if they are fine I hadn't thought of that.

SlimLine Dish
I also have the multiswitch for the slimline dish.

I also don't get the seraching for signal pop up It just gets really pixilated and then a black screen and no sound I work during the day so I am not sure about the early afternoon but at night I never have a problem.

· Godfather
467 Posts
kevinwmsn said:
I think you might have LNB that has went bad. You will have to call them and get their tech to change out LNB after they "troubleshoot it"
If it was the LNB why would it only happen on the high def local channels? Wouldn't it happen with other channels also?

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,529 Posts
jjohns said:
If it was the LNB why would it only happen on the high def local channels? Wouldn't it happen with other channels also?
Due to the way that the channels are stacked, the LNB can create all sorts of wonderful scenarios. The idea being that if you see 99(c) or 103(c), you can't help but see the corresponding spotbeam feeds unless something is whacking them.

· AllStar
72 Posts
I had DirectTV installed in April and everything was great but I started getting occasional black screens, freezes , stuttering audio and pixelization on the ABC and NBC locals(not sure about CBS- never watch it) after about a month. It doesn't appear that both networks screw up at the same time- it's usually/always one or the other. This happens on an HR20-100 and an old Samsung SD DVR. Comcast works fine at those times(just have the most basic package). I posted my signal levels on this site after I started having problems and was told everything looked great. I'm going to reseat the cables outside and if that doesn't fix things, I'm going to place a service call(I have the Protection Plan). I have had a few movies on MGMHD and a few other random channels get screwed up to too but suspect those were isolated instances. The local problems have gotten worse in the last few weeks for me too so something may be going on. Overall I have been quite pleased with DirectTV but my wife hasn't since she watches a lot of network TV- I don't fortunately. :)

Craig

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
HD locals are subject to all sorts of problems unrelated to your installation. The whole system is something of a kluge. The problems can be at the local station(s), where the mpeg2 video may be converted to mpeg4, or at the point where DirecTV picks up the signals and may convert them. A chain is no stronger than its weakest link, and there are plenty of links in these HD local chains. :)

While you may find other DBSTalk members in your area who can confirm or not any problems you're having with your HD locals, it's always a good idea to check the Local HDTV Info and Reception - United States Thread Index over at AVSForum for additional info for your area.

If you have good signals on 99(c)/(a) and 103(c)/(b), it's unlikely there's a problem with your local HD's at your end on 99(s)/(b) or 103(s)/(a). You should be able to find at least one strong tp on one of the two latter menu pages, which is where your HD locals are shown.

7 Posts
jjohns said:
I see now that yet another post, "Local HD channel lost" has been posted. Looks like the same "version updates bring new bugs" issue to me again.
That was me with the same problem but different time of day. Interesting that I also don't get the "searching for signal" notification also. Screen becomes pixilated and then a black screen and no sound. And only effects the local HD channels. I get the Sacramento, CA locals.

There has been no clouds or rain since maybe April. It is hot here though.

Anyone have a resolution? Thanks for the help.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
If you look around here, you'll find the Sacramento DMA has a long history of HD locals problems. The signals for some (if not all, not sure) local stations are relayed by microwave to DirecTV. Temperature inversions play havoc with the microwave signal relay links in Sacramento.

· AllStar
72 Posts
In my case I have problems at the same time on both HD and SD locals. ABC was essentially unusable all day yesterday(sometimes audio and video were way out of sync even when the video was OK). Both ABC and NBC seem to be working today but NBC has gone black for a few seconds. I had reseated all the cables outside but it didn't help obviously. I'm going to place a service call today and see what DirectTV has to say.

Craig

· Icon
552 Posts
CraigT1 said:
In my case I have problems at the same time on both HD and SD locals. ABC was essentially unusable all day yesterday(sometimes audio and video were way out of sync even when the video was OK). Both ABC and NBC seem to be working today but NBC has gone black for a few seconds. I had reseated all the cables outside but it didn't help obviously. I'm going to place a service call today and see what DirectTV has to say.

Craig
I think the HD and SD locals for all of Knoxville are having issues - it is not just you. I have the same issues today as well as my sister.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.