DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,792 Posts
dorfd1 said:
Will everybody that has an SD receiver lose local channels after the digital transition?
Nope.

· Icon
568 Posts
The only people with issues will be those who have a roof antenna. As long as DTV has set up their equipment to receive the digital feeds, their head end and transmission system takes care of everything else for you. Same with cable TV and Dish.

· Icon
568 Posts
I would think that DTV will take the digital feed instead of the analog feed and throw them through like they are today. Digital transmission does not mean HD although all HD is digital. Unless what they're doing is downconverting the HD feeds, but that would seem silly. What do those $20 digital set-top boxes really do? Downconvert the HD feed?

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I'm not sure what DIRECTV is planning on doing for SD locals after February 2009 but they will definitely exist. The only people who need to be concerned are those who use an off-air antenna for SD locals, and as far as I know there are very few of those. If that does apply to you -- if you do get your locals from the antenna and not from DIRECTV, you will need to buy a converter box. Otherwise you're set.

· ΔS > 0
1,963 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
The only people who need to be concerned are those who use an off-air antenna for SD locals, and as far as I know there are very few of those. If that does apply to you -- if you do get your locals from the antenna and not from DIRECTV, you will need to buy a converter box. Otherwise you're set.
It's the people getting analog signals off-air that will have a problem. My SD digital signals will come in just fine.

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
dorfd1 said:
Directv will transmit the local hd channels in mpeg2 sd for the sd subscribers?
Yes.

D* will offer local channels in SD, just like they do now.

It remains to be seen if D* will crop a constant 4:3 aspect ratio, or letterbox those using 16:9.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
Kansas Zephyr said:
Yes.

It remains to be seen if D* will crop a constant 4:3 aspect ratio, or letterbox those using 16:9.
My guess is that DirecTV will crop 16:9 signals to 4:3, since that is probably the way most people will use their OTA digital converter boxes. The networks have been busy moving their "channel bug" to the 4:3 crop location so it does not disappear when signals are cropped to 4:3, on the assumption that is what most viewers will do.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
bakers12 said:
It's the people getting analog signals off-air that will have a problem. My SD digital signals will come in just fine.
Very well put. Since digital does not equal HD, we have to remember that there will still be SD programming, just not analog.

· Icon
568 Posts
Currently. They'll have to retransmit the digital feed instead of the analog feed when the analog stuff is turned off. They doesn't neccessarily mean the digital feed inbound from the broadcaster will be HD, only that it will be a digital transmission.

· Registered
2,143 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
Very well put. Since digital does not equal HD, we have to remember that there will still be SD programming, just not analog.
That's the key that people still forget. The digital transition is not a transition to High Definition (HD). it only forces the stations to no longer broadcast analog video, most if which is SD. SD Signals however, can be digital.

· Godfather
426 Posts
Kansas Zephyr said:
Yes.

Correct, I think.

This is my understanding, based on my experience working for our local CBS affiliate. Other stations may handle it differently, for example transmitting an SD channel on a sub channel (11.1 would be HD, 11.2 would be SD). But this is one example of how it might work.

Our local CBS station sends one feed to the digital transmitter. After February when the analog feed goes away, this will be the only feed. During HD programming, that feed will be in HD: some network programming and local news are HD. There is still a lot of programming, especially syndicated programs, that are in SD. So the programming will be a mix of HD and SD. As Mr. Zephyr says, it remains to be seen what D* does with the HD programming: crop or letter box.

Think of it this way. Today I have a Zenith digital converter box receiving HD programs off the air and displaying them on an old 4:3 analog TV. I have it set up to crop (display in 4:3). After February, when you choose/get an SD channel on D* the SD programming from the digital transmitter will display normally. But I don't know what will happen to the HD programs. D* may automatically crop them. Or they may display as letter box. I don't think remote controls for SD D* boxes will let you choose between crop and letter box, so you'll get what you get. Letter box? Crop? I don't know.

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Scott in FL said:
But I don't know what will happen to the HD programs. D* may automatically crop them. Or they may display as letter box.
The networks seem recently to be making sure that their "bugs" and other extraneous information fit in the 4:3 safe area, so I'd expect to see center cut SD rather than letterbox.

· Godfather
274 Posts
CrazyforYeshua said:
D* has always said they are all digital, that's their jump on the cable companies. With cable, you have to get the "digital package". D* is already there.
The digital switchover in Feb only affects OTA reception via antenna. Analog transmission by cable co are not impacted by the changeover. I believe that cablecos are required to convert their analog transmission to digital by 2011.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.