DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a small town here, and a friend of mine recieved a letter in the mail, stating that according to city ordinance 95-11, he would have to contact his satellite provider and relocate his dish that was on a pole in the front yard. The dish has been there for 8 years now. According to the ordinance the dish has to be placed on the roof,, or in the back yard on a pole. It cannot be in the front,, or side yard. It was relocated by local techs. But I am told that the FCC has a law that prevents this. Can anyone tell me if this is true? I have searched for answers, but only found laws about tennants in apartments etc.

· Hall Of Fame
2,844 Posts
Love OTARD

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Technically it is a just fine rule as, like your friend did, there is no reason it cannot be out of sight as you can still receive the signal just fine and such.

That is where it becomes a bit of a gray area in my mind, OTARD allows you to receive signal and all that, but it also tends to create the gray area of why did someone stick it in the middle of their front yard for everyone to look at when it would be just as easy to stick it in a less obvious place.

· Icon
1,780 Posts
Grentz said:
Technically it is a just fine rule as, like your friend did, there is no reason it cannot be out of sight as you can still receive the signal just fine and such.

That is where it becomes a bit of a gray area in my mind, OTARD allows you to receive signal and all that, but it also tends to create the gray area of why did someone stick it in the middle of their front yard for everyone to look at when it would be just as easy to stick it in a less obvious place.
actually some locals codes say that the dish must be 50 feet from the center line of the road so it may be to close i have seen that enforced a few times

· Registered
5,530 Posts
Grentz said:

This is indeed an OTARD "gray area". Can the city require you to put the dish in certain locations ? - in the absolute, NO. Can the city require you to put the dish in certain locations so long as you can get a good signal there, and it does not cost you any more to do that? - YES.
If you say you can't get a good signal putting the dish in the location required by the city, do you have to prove it? NO. The onus is on the city to show that you could get a good signal by following the city's rules.
Is an ordinance mandating where you put the dish legal under OTARD? NO. To be legal, the ordinance has to include language allowing you to put the dish somewhere else if you can't get good signal.

· AllStar
85 Posts
I agree with previous posters -- OTARD rules. On the other hand, you have to live there -- no point in poking them in the eye unnecessarily. If you can put the dish more or less out of sight and still get a good signal, I would do so.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so,, let me get this right. from reading the fcc thing,,if a person cannot get line of sight from the back yard,, or from the house itself,, and there is line of sight from the front of house,, then basically local laws are overidden, because of the fcc law.

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
peevy said:
so,, let me get this right. from reading the fcc thing,,if a person cannot get line of sight from the back yard,, or from the house itself,, and there is line of sight from the front of house,, then basically local laws are overidden, because of the fcc law.
Correct.

· Hall Of Fame
3,136 Posts
peevy said:
Yes, that is true. However, if they can get a signal in those other places, then most likely the law is still valid.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this is one reason I asked this question, because in this same town I did an install for a lady that has 2 standard defs, and one HR21. The only line of sight is in the front yard. It is on a pole mount in front of her house although she has not recieved a letter from the local authorities.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.