DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Godfather
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that dish is going to have our local on the 8s, will the local emergency alerts show instantly :confused: up no matter which dish channel we are watching?

·
Super Moderator
53,881 Posts
Remember the timer icon that one would get on the 50x series?
Look for something similar when there is a weather alert.

These should be able to be turned off by disabling TV Enhancements.

·
Cool Member
16 Posts
James Long said:
Remember the timer icon that one would get on the 50x series?
Look for something similar when there is a weather alert.

These should be able to be turned off by disabling TV Enhancements.
So will we get EMS Emergency alerts when TWC Feature is avaliable?

·
Icon
975 Posts
I've never understood why D* and E* could not have some sort of alert that comes up when there is an emergency in your area. It could be just a "bug" on your screen, no matter what channel you are watching. If you then hit "OK", it would take you to your local channel, or "exit" would kill the bug until a different warning came in.

Sooner or later, some lawyer is gonna have a field day with this.

·
Super Moderator
53,881 Posts
It is very possible to do this. The signal only has to be an alert. There is a lot of stuff on every transponder in the system. If they can put auth/deauth on every transponder they can put an alert "page" stream up. Just enough data so that receivers know to put up a little alert icon.

I've been asking for this for years.

BTW: For those with access, press the info button in the application for the help screen. I've attached a screen shot for those interested. The top line, "When you see
press your select button." looks a lot like the old "I'm about to record something" alert from a 50x. (Not the correct icon ... see the image for their design.)

This would certainly explain why new software would be required on the receivers to add the feature. Most DishHOME stuff isn't active unless you have chosen the channel. The "TV Enancements" that E* added a couple of years ago to put a "select" banner up during commercials and on Channel 101 is channel based. This would require the receiver to watch an alert stream and put up the logo only if the receiver's area was to be alerted.

Attachments

·
Icon
917 Posts
When I most need the alert service is the same time I lose the satellite signal as the storm approaches. Internet weather will continue to be my emergency information source. Weather Channel's desktop internet service even gives a visual and audio alert. Also have a nearby radio station that provides great emergency info both from their radar and from spotters who phone information to them.

Unfortunately our local radio station will still be playing their recorded music loop when the tornado takes out their transmitter.

·
Super Moderator
53,881 Posts
JohnH said:
Of course, the source of the signal would be the big problem. How to get all areas to the concentrator.
The National Weather Service has a national feed of all weather warnings/watches. Plus, since this is a TWC offering, they would have a national source for everything they are already sending to local cable operators for their alerts on TWC.

If they wanted to add in other EAS events (such as Amber Alerts and civil emergencies) they would have to pick up other sources - but for a weather alert feed the data is there, already concentrated and waiting to be put to good use.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
You know, unless there are missiles spotted arching over the north pole, I do not want any more bugs, banners, flyers, crawls, flashing icons or anything else on my screen for any reason. One of the reasons I have satellite and THE reason I have kept distant networks to the bitter end is because of this. I do not want anything on my screen other than the program I'm looking at.

If the clouds get nasty and I hear a freight train, I will go into the cellar. If I see a lot of lighting flashes, I will turn OFF my TV anyway. If it's raining real hard for a few hours, I will assume there is going to be a flood somewhere near by. If I live in a low-lying area, I would be very aware that heavy rains means there is a good chance for flooding. Even if the icon is there until I acknowledge it, it would be there throughout a recording if I am not there to say "get the hell off my screen!"

I am tired of seeing a friggin' map on the top left corner of the screen generally showing me places where the chances are good that it is going to friggin' rain covering up the head of the people I tuned in to watch!!!!

NO MORE FRIGGIN' CRAP ON THE SCREEN!

·
Super Moderator
53,881 Posts
Turn of TV Enhancements ....
If E* has done this right, you won't get the popups. :)

·
AllStar
68 Posts
TNGTony said:
I am tired of seeing a friggin' map on the top left corner of the screen generally showing me places where the chances are good that it is going to friggin' rain covering up the head of the people I tuned in to watch!!!!

I couldn't agree more!

It's bad enough putting up with the promos and crap that the network puts on the screen, but sometimes local affiliates make it so frustrating that I just change the channel. And it's always something - weather maps, school closings, election returns or some other "could wait until news time" announcement. And since we're not allowed to get distant network signals, we're at the mercy of our local stations. There is something really wrong with that.

With all this digital technology, there should be a way to toggle off the overlays from local affiliates.

·
Godfather
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
James Long said:
The National Weather Service has a national feed of all weather warnings/watches. Plus, since this is a TWC offering, they would have a national source for everything they are already sending to local cable operators for their alerts on TWC.

If they wanted to add in other EAS events (such as Amber Alerts and civil emergencies) they would have to pick up other sources - but for a weather alert feed the data is there, already concentrated and waiting to be put to good use.
Two years ago, before I signed up for dish, I had Adelphia cable. When there was an alert, a message woud show up on every channel. They were not always weather alerts. Once I remember a chemical spill alert alerting everyone to stay in their homes. I think the system would be great on dish and those who don't want the feature could just disable it. The same as removing the batteries from your smoke detector when it goes off by accident in the middle of the football game. Each to their own.

·
Icon
1,142 Posts
EAS alerts on Cox cable results it what even DVR recording you had going to to be stopped as the cable system switches you do an other channel. They do this for ALL tuners.

EAS is bad, if you want to use a DVR.

·
Super Moderator
53,881 Posts
FCC rules for EAS on cable require such interruption. They are required to provide EAS information, audio and video, on all program channels. (Small systems, less that 5000 subscribers per headend, have the option of doing an alert on all channels and have a special channel for the actual EAS message - but it requires a black screen for the alerts so it is still an interruption.)

The good news is that the only messages that are required to be retransmitted is a national "Emergency Action Notification" and weekly tests. They are not required to rebroadcast any other messages - including tornado warnings, etc. - just the EAN (which has never been used) and tests.

No EAS rules apply to satellite so E* is free to do as they please (good since a nationally originated satellite signal would have problems rebroadcasting the required tests to the right people in the right markets). What E* does with TWC for alerts is not required by EAS anyways, so they can choose to do it in a less obtrusive fashion than cable is required to follow (if they transmit EAS weather).

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
You know, unless there are missiles spotted arching over the north pole, I do not want any more bugs, banners, flyers, crawls, flashing icons or anything else on my screen for any reason. One of the reasons I have satellite and THE reason I have kept distant networks to the bitter end is because of this. I do not want anything on my screen other than the program I'm looking at.

If the clouds get nasty and I hear a freight train, I will go into the cellar. If I see a lot of lighting flashes, I will turn OFF my TV anyway. If it's raining real hard for a few hours, I will assume there is going to be a flood somewhere near by. If I live in a low-lying area, I would be very aware that heavy rains means there is a good chance for flooding. Even if the icon is there until I acknowledge it, it would be there throughout a recording if I am not there to say "get the hell off my screen!"

AMEN TONY!!! Preach on brother!

I don't give a crap about emergency alerts, unless like you said were about to be nuked or something. We don't have tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, mud slides, dust storms, monsoons, typhoons, locusts, killer bees or anything else in Buffalo except for snow. And when we got pounded on October 12 all the local channels had tickers for closings, emergency info, little maps and whatnot running all over the screen. Well not on their HD feeds, MY high def viewing was completely interrupted by this nonsense, no crawls, no tickers, no maps just 42 inches of high def goodness.

Around here, the local media is notorious for hyping up weather so they when it's all over they can have promos saying 'we're Western NYs home for winter either information'. I don't listen to local radio, I made it a point to not have access to AM radio. I drove 60 miles more or less, round trip in the worst storm this area has seen in years, never once did I have the urge to tune into 'local' radio. XM and Sirius all the way baby! None of that 'bzzzz-bzzzz-bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz this is a test of the emergency alert system, this is only a test'.

·
Super Moderator
53,881 Posts
Steve Mehs said:
And when we got pounded on October 12 all the local channels had tickers for closings, emergency info, little maps and whatnot running all over the screen. Well not on their HD feeds, MY high def viewing was completely interrupted by this nonsense, no crawls, no tickers, no maps just 42 inches of high def goodness.
Don't tell the FCC that! Your stations are supposed to provide the same weather information on the HD as they do the SD. It doesn't mean that weather is required, but if they do it on the SD they should be breaking in on the HD (or so the FCC says).

Yet another reason for you to hate the FCC. :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.