DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Legend
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second week in a row, we experienced major problems with the local HD transmission of Studio 60 on both our units. This week we lost all primary audio, but heard all the background stuff and soundtrack. Very bizarre.

We moved the station to the SD channel and had no further problems.

We've been experiencing other issues with local HD channels, whether or not the progam is actually in HD. Mostly audio related - pops, drop-offs, lots of noise. So we're only going to watch SD right now until this is addressed.

No problems on the non-local HD channels, other than occasional freeze-ups on replay.

Talked to Level 2 last night, and they established a "tracking" ticket. The tech couldn't verify if there was other instances of this problem, and I told him that I'd seen such on this board. Didn't surprise him.

We're not HDMI, so that's not in play.

Any comments?

· Legend
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, the tech confirmed, which I already knew, that the local HD stuff comes down off of a different satellite (103 I believe he said for the Bay Area). This would certainly help to pinpoint the problem I would think, since, as I stated above, no problems with non-HD transmissions or replays.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
Studio 60 is on NBC right? NBC is highly known for having the worst OTA HD signal there is in many markets. All DirecTV or Dish does is rebroadcast what is OTA. So it's garbage in/garbage out.

My NBC OTA has frequent pixelization and dropouts cause they have 2 subchannels. Same for my CBS, they bit starve the HD channel to death it's total crap. Getting my locals in HD on DirecTV isn't going to solve that problem.

I honestly think the HR20 and other receivers get the blame too much for local OTA issues that aren't under the control of DirecTV (or Dish or cable for that matter). Our local CBS had all kinds of HD issues over the weekend and our local cable companies were getting slammed with calls complaining it was their problem. But those of us with OTA knew better that it was the stations problem, not the cable companies.

· Legend
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bonscott87 said:
Studio 60 is on NBC right? NBC is highly known for having the worst OTA HD signal there is in many markets. All DirecTV or Dish does is rebroadcast what is OTA. So it's garbage in/garbage out.

My NBC OTA has frequent pixelization and dropouts cause they have 2 subchannels. Same for my CBS, they bit starve the HD channel to death it's total crap. Getting my locals in HD on DirecTV isn't going to solve that problem.

I honestly think the HR20 and other receivers get the blame too much for local OTA issues that aren't under the control of DirecTV (or Dish or cable for that matter). Our local CBS had all kinds of HD issues over the weekend and our local cable companies were getting slammed with calls complaining it was their problem. But those of us with OTA knew better that it was the stations problem, not the cable companies.
Thanx for the info. This is my first exposure to HD and I'm learning a lot. I'll just adjust my viewing preferences to take the above mentioned vulnerabilities into account, although it's a shame that the networks aren't more on top of this.

But why would I have issues with non-HD programming that comes in on the local HD channel?

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
politzer said:
Thanx for the info. This is my first exposure to HD and I'm learning a lot. I'll just adjust my viewing preferences to take the above mentioned vulnerabilities into account, although it's a shame that the networks aren't more on top of this.

But why would I have issues with non-HD programming that comes in on the local HD channel?
It's the digital OTA signal. They send it out through their HD encoders no matter what it is. And some stations like my CBS actually still "drop out of HD" to SD for their local commercials because they are cheap and won't buy the equipment to make a seemless broadcast. Then the fun begins when they for get to flip the switch back to HD when the commercial break is over.

So basically it doesn't matter if the program itself is HD or not. They are still sending it out 1080i over their digital OTA signal. DirecTV simply picks that up and sends it up to the sat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.