DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Cool Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DirecTV announced in a press release on October 10, 2006 that it would add 25 more local HD markets "by year end" to bring the total up to 67. Since then, three markets were added on 10/26 (Madison, Portland and Reno), one on 11/21 (Greensboro) and three on 11/22 (Grand Rapids, Green Bay and Providence). But that still leaves 18 markets left to go, and only two weeks to do so. The other 18 are:

Albuquerque, N.M.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Des Moines, Iowa
Ft. Meyers, Fla.
Greenville, S.C.
Flint, Mich.
Harrisburg, Pa.
Jacksonville, Fla.
Little Rock, Ark.
Mobile, Ala.
New Orleans, La.
Norfolk, Va.
Oklahoma City, Okla.
Santa Barbara, Calif.
Spokane, Wa.
Springfield, Mo.
Toledo, Ohio
Tulsa, Okla.

Will DirecTV live up to its promise? Adding 18 markets in a two week period would be unprecedented for DirecTV. The most they have ever added was nine markets on 6/28/06, which was only one market more than the previous record of eight markets on 4/19/06.

Tick tock, tick tock...

-Jeff

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
mtnagel said:
Good question. My family is back in Buffalo, so I told them about this.
Living in the Des Moines DMA, I was keenly following this until last Wednesday night. Now I have OTA in the HR20 and I'm borderline indifferent to HD-Locals/MPEG-4.

I sure hope they do make their deadline, not for me, but for others without OTA...although in our DMA there is no excuse for not doing OTA...signals are BIG in the Des Moines DMA, many get by with nothing but indoor antennas like the Silver Sensor.

·
Passed away April 24, 2010
608 Posts
Jeff Richardson said:
DirecTV announced in a press release on October 10, 2006 that it would add 25 more local HD markets "by year end" to bring the total up to 67. Since then, three markets were added on 10/26 (Madison, Portland and Reno), one on 11/21 (Greensboro) and three on 11/22 (Grand Rapids, Green Bay and Providence). But that still leaves 18 markets left to go, and only two weeks to do so. The other 18 are:

Albuquerque, N.M.
Buffalo, N.Y.
Des Moines, Iowa
Ft. Meyers, Fla.
Greenville, S.C.
Flint, Mich.
Harrisburg, Pa.
Jacksonville, Fla.
Little Rock, Ark.
Mobile, Ala.
New Orleans, La.
Norfolk, Va.
Oklahoma City, Okla.
Santa Barbara, Calif.
Spokane, Wa.
Springfield, Mo.
Toledo, Ohio
Tulsa, Okla.

Will DirecTV live up to its promise? Adding 18 markets in a two week period would be unprecedented for DirecTV. The most they have ever added was nine markets on 6/28/06, which was only one market more than the previous record of eight markets on 4/19/06.

Tick tock, tick tock...

-Jeff
Since I'm in Jacksonville, FL. I was hoping. They have now told me not before February, 2007.:(

·
Cool Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Herdfan said:
I thought D* made an announcement that some of these markets were going to be pushed back until after the new year.
Now that 2006 has ended, I checked again on the DirecTV press releases website. There is a press release dated 11/27/06 that announces the markets that were turned on on 11/22, and then the release says "DIRECTV plans to launch an additional eight HD local markets throughout the remainder of the year." Of course, they don't say which eight they plan to add, nor do they explain why there would only be eight instead of the 18 left from their 10/10/06 press release. And the 10/10/06 press release is still on the website.

Does anyone know of any official or unofficial announcement from DirecTV on the new schedule for adding these 18 markets?

-Jeff

·
Passed away April 24, 2010
608 Posts
Jeff Richardson said:
Now that 2006 has ended, I checked again on the DirecTV press releases website. There is a press release dated 11/27 that announces the markets that were turned on on 11/22, and then the release says "DIRECTV plans to launch an additional eight HD local markets throughout the remainder of the year." Of course, they don't say which eight they plan to add, nor do they explain why there would only be eight instead of the 18 left from their 10/10/06 press release. And the 10/10/06 press release is still on the website.

Does anyone know of any official or unofficial announcement from DirecTV on the new schedule for adding these 18 markets?

-Jeff
I know when I called D* the end of December, I was told Jacksonville, FL was still scheduled for February, 2007. That from a CSR, though.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,039 Posts
I was told the same thing ("end of February 2007") for my area, too (Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA). That was as of 2 weeks ago.

·
AllStar
91 Posts
I was told beginning of Jan for the Buffalo, ny area...isn't this great, they make a deadline for themselves, can't keep it , and while they are telling everybody something different their website still say's "Coming this fall" . I realize we are dealing with different CSR's but can't they all get the same notes???

·
Godfather
290 Posts
Jeff Richardson said:
Now that 2006 has ended, I checked again on the DirecTV press releases website. There is a press release dated 11/27 that announces the markets that were turned on on 11/22, and then the release says "DIRECTV plans to launch an additional eight HD local markets throughout the remainder of the year." Of course, they don't say which eight they plan to add, nor do they explain why there would only be eight instead of the 18 left from their 10/10/06 press release. And the 10/10/06 press release is still on the website.

-Jeff
Jeff,

All I know is I'm getting very tired of waiting for the locals. One of the main reasons I switched from Cox Cable to DirecTv last Feb. was because I was told / "promised" by the DirecTv sales person that the New Orleans area locals would be available to me as a DirecTv customer, by the fall of 2006. Then when that didn't happen they said "by the end of the year". Now when ? I've been penitently waiting, but I'm getting fed up. This along with the crappy operation of the HR20 and the OTA mapping problem has me wondering if I made a mistake in choosing DirecTv. Now I really feel bad because I actually got several of my friends and family members to switch to DirecTv from Cox, on my recommendation. Why ? Because I beleived what DirecTv was telling me. I now have lost faith in their word. I will never suggest to anyone to switch to DirecTv ever again, it will just make me look bad.

I'm going to wait a couple of more months and if the locals aren''t activated here in New Orleans. I will strongly consider switching back to Cox Cable or Dish.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,411 Posts
Tiger Tony said:
Why ? Because I beleived what DirecTv was telling me. I now have lost faith in their word. I will never suggest to anyone to switch to DirecTv ever again, it will just make me look bad.
Rule number one about availability of programming: it doesn't happen on a schedule. If it isn't there, don't assume that it will be. Yes, some people will do anything to get a sale.
I'm going to wait a couple of more months and if the locals aren''t activated here in New Orleans. I will strongly consider switching back to Cox Cable or Dish.
Dish doesn't have N'Orleans up yet either. It was on their list of 2006 additions as well.

If you've got an H20, you're stuck with a substantial programming commitment. I would suggest that you work with Cox on some sort of lifeline service for locals and see where that gets you. For those with DVRs, this isn't an attractive option.

·
Legend
194 Posts
Actually I'm kidding, HD is great. But here in vegas CBS and NBC have horrid 8mm effect. It is laughable that they call this HD. It is so bad to watch I feel like I'll have a stroke.

So I don't watch it, I just to OTA with my HTPC. I'd think about doing HR20 OTA, but its tuner is so bad it won't pick up one of my channels (NBC).

I only use D*'s HD for national stuff like ESPN, HBO, etc. NFLST!

GO SEAHAWKS!

·
Legend
241 Posts
jedster said:
I'd think about doing HR20 OTA, but its tuner is so bad it won't pick up one of my channels (NBC).
Have you ever tried the HR20 OTA tuner? I consider my HR20 OTA tuner to be excellent. It picks up all my OTA's stronger than the HR10 and at least as well as my Sony SXRD's internal tuner.

·
Mentor
48 Posts
jedster said:
{snip}
So I don't watch it, I just to OTA with my HTPC. I'd think about doing HR20 OTA, but its tuner is so bad it won't pick up one of my channels (NBC).
Report this to the HR20 thread. I think the real problem may be that the HR20 doesn't scan for OTA signals, it downloads where the OTA channels should be based on your zip. So if they've missed your local NBC, there's no way to scan for it. I think they've been pretty responsive about adding missing ones once reported.

My experience is that the HR20 locks onto a signal much better than my previous H10.

--Cross

·
Legend
194 Posts
eengert said:
Have you ever tried the HR20 OTA tuner? I consider my HR20 OTA tuner to be excellent. It picks up all my OTA's stronger than the HR10 and at least as well as my Sony SXRD's internal tuner.
Yes and when the box picks up a signal it delivers a very nice picture -- no 8mm effect (that's clearly a broadcast/encoding issue).

However the box refuses to tune the NBC signal in my area. Granted, the NBC signal in my area is not a good one (low frequency, low power) but my HR10-250 picked it up pretty well and my HTPC picks it up nearly perfectly. The HR20 - not at all. I've read other similar reports.

By the time they had activated OTA, I had pretty much given up on the HR20 for OTA ATSC anyway. I do all that with Media Center. Much more powerful (MRV, flex storage options, burn to DVD, etc.) Now I just use the HR20 as an SD feed for my HTPC box and for watching premium HD (HBO, ESPN, etc).

·
Legend
194 Posts
cruxer said:
Report this to the HR20 thread. I think the real problem may be that the HR20 doesn't scan for OTA signals, it downloads where the OTA channels should be based on your zip. So if they've missed your local NBC, there's no way to scan for it. I think they've been pretty responsive about adding missing ones once reported.

My experience is that the HR20 locks onto a signal much better than my previous H10.

--Cross
LOL. What your'e saying makes total sense. I'm sure that's the problem. For the life of me I coudln't figure out what tuner in the world wouldn't pick up a channel that the HR10-250 was able to get, given how bad the HR10-250 was at picking up digital signals.

Which HR20 thread do i report this to?

·
Icon
692 Posts
I have been told by 3 different reps in various departments that OKC will be turned on around July-August this year. So it looks like after the next 2 sat's go up they will turn on quite a few. I rushed out and upgraded during the 3rd week of Dec to be ready for my HD locals. Man was I let down. Now I just get to deal with the HR20 issues which had better be resolved when my HD locals arrive. If I must wait then I want to be rewarded with hr10-250 like viewing stabilitly. I had zero problems other than audio dropouts.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,459 Posts
Look at it another way... in the past 12 months, D* went from 12 cities with HD locals to 49, an increase of 37 cities. They are missing 18 they had said would be on by the end of 2006. On the other hand, E* promised 48 cities, and turned on only 28, leaving 20 cities they said would be in HD by the end of 2006. Are people throwing a royal hissy fit in the E* forums?

Even AT&T missed their goal for Homezone... they had announced they'd be in 15 markets but are only in 2 or 3, IIRC.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.