DBSTalk Forum banner
81 - 100 of 132 Posts

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,461 Posts
There will not be any loss of advertising revenue as you have been told multiple times.
No what I said is that it is a possibility since more people will now have the ability to watch the local network feed than before when it wasn't on Peackock.
A reminder of what you actually said.

· Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
A reminder of what you actually said.
Well I don't see how there will be any loss of advertising revenue when more people will have the option to watch their content. Maybe you could explain how there will be a loss of ad revenue due to Peacock carrying local affiliate feeds which you claimed there would be.

Do you not know the definition of "possibility"?

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Document

26,461 Posts
Maybe you could explain how there will be a loss of ad revenue due to Peacock carrying local affiliate feeds which you claimed there would be.
If you have to subscribe to the ad-free version of the service to get the local version of the program, why wouldn't you watch the ad-free version of the program where available?

· Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
If you have to subscribe to the ad-free version of the service to get the local version of the program, why wouldn't you watch the ad-free version of the program where available?
The local affiliate feed is not ad-free as you have been told numerous times. It is the exact same feed that people on cable, satellite, and Live TV streaming gets. Just like the local affiliate on Paramount+.

· Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Just curious if a VPN will work if one wants to watch a different affiliate (outside of your market). I live in the Albany NY market and would rather watch WNBC out of NYC. I have a VPN that can route to a New York City server...but I have heard that Hulu and Youtube TV have technology that can detect VPN's and wont allow me to watch markets outside of the one I am in. The VPN works great w PBS and ESPN on the Firestick btw... I can watch NYC PBS and hockey in the New York area (normally it's blacked out..).
Your question made me curious so I just tried it with my VPN and got this.

Font Art Brand Event Magenta

26,461 Posts
The local affiliate feed is not ad-free as you have been told numerous times.
I didn't say that it was.

The issue is that most of the non-local programming is available ad-free on Peacock Premium Plus. Why would one who has the service level required to get the linear programming suffer the linear version when an ad-free version is available? Just so they don't miss the local ads?

Pro tip: "been told numerous times" rarely impresses anyone as it is too often associated with false information.

26,461 Posts
Your question made me curious so I just tried it with my VPN and got this.
Anecdotal reports like these are most useful when accompanied by the name of the VPN in question. Not all VPNs (or all POPs of those VPNS) may be similarly blocked.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
Why would one who has the service level required to get the linear programming suffer the linear version when an ad-free version is available?
The linear version is available before any ad free version is available. For example, if I wanted to watch the eliminations on The Voice tonight I could have watched it on my local NBC affiliate. That episode won't be "on demand" until sometime tomorrow.

Bottom line - if you don't think it is a good deal don't pay for it. NBC sees the value in having the linear feed available even if you do not.

· Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
The linear version is available before any ad free version is available. For example, if I wanted to watch the eliminations on The Voice tonight I could have watched it on my local NBC affiliate. That episode won't be "on demand" until sometime tomorrow.

Bottom line - if you don't think it is a good deal don't pay for it. NBC sees the value in having the linear feed available even if you do not.
Plus not all NBC shows are on Peacock even the next day. Example: The Blacklist. Takes a week before episodes are available to watch on Peacock.

· Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I didn't say that it was.

The issue is that most of the non-local programming is available ad-free on Peacock Premium Plus. Why would one who has the service level required to get the linear programming suffer the linear version when an ad-free version is available? Just so they don't miss the local ads?
As was noted the OnDemand version is not available until next day or longer and sometime not until the next season.

And people that do watch the ad-free version of the show are paying extra to do so. That extra money replaces any ad revenue you may think is being lost unless you have evidence that extra fee is going somewhere else. So what has happend for years when people recorded shows to VCR's, DVD recorders, and DVR's that FF through the commercials? Why have you NOT started a lost ad revenue crusade about that over the years?

26,461 Posts
Are you sure about that? Pitch Perfect: Bumper in Berlin started just this week on linear but the first ten episodes became available on Peacock on November 23rd.

While what you're saying has long been the case, I wonder if that isn't changing.

· Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Are you sure about that? Pitch Perfect: Bumper in Berlin started just this week on linear but the first ten episodes became available on Peacock on November 23rd.

While what you're saying has long been the case, I wonder if that isn't changing.
Where are you seeing that show as being on linear TV? It was made for Peacock.

· Legend
223 Posts
My local NBC (WCAU-Philadelphia NBC owned) is available today! I like Peacock's EPG, Channels section of the app. I hope Cozi eventually gets to the app. (It's on Philly BTV/Local BTV, so should be possible).

Suggestion as their naming is backwards:
Peacock Premium should mean Peacock without Ads. Having the word Premium should imply the best or highest version of the service, without adding a Plus at the end of the name to get that.

I have both Paramount Plus without ads and Peacock Premium Plus. The one show that has thrown me off is Yellowstone. I always see it promoted on Paramount Network and went looking for it on Paramount Plus on streaming. It took me awhile to realize it's on Peacock, not Paramount Plus.

· Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Suggestion as their naming is backwards:
Peacock Premium should mean Peacock without Ads. Having the word Premium should imply the best or highest version of the service, without adding a Plus at the end of the name to get that.
That is because they have a free tier.

Peacock is free.

Peacock Premium is ad supported

Peacock Premium Plus is ad-free.

· Legend
223 Posts
There appears an implication that there will be time-shifting capability (though it may well be limited to CBS content).
There is no cloud DVR service of the local NBC station, or Hallmark channels or other channels, in Peacock Premium Plus, or any indication that this is upcoming. It would add significant complexity (for Peacock) to offer that with limited benefit on their end.

Interesting, I got my local NBC on Peacock Plus but Peacock sent no email out, and it is a very silent launch. Most will likely be unaware of it. Maybe Peacock plans to will advertise it next month.

· Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Then, they could rename the ad supported version.

Example:

Peacock - free
Peacock Extra - ad supported but low cost
Peacock Premium - all the works, no ads

Premium should mean Premium, in my opinion.
I don't disagree that is confusing the way it is. They actually bill Peacock Premium Plus as two separate things on the annual plan:

Premium Annual - $49.99/year

Plus Option Annual - $50.00/year

26,461 Posts
Where are you seeing that show as being on linear TV? It was made for Peacock.
The first episode of Bumper in Berlin ran on my local NBC affiliate (KGW) Monday November 28th at 10pm.

In hindsight may have been a one-time thing as the end of the first half of the TV season is upon us. ABC broadcast the first two episodes of Andor last week as well so there may be some crossover being employed.

26,461 Posts
Then, they could rename the ad supported version.
There is no question in my mind that they boned the names.

This is similar to DIRECTV's two top packages that are named ULTIMATE and PREMIUM. ULTIMATE is a subset of PREMIUM while the word ultimate literally means that there are none above.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
Premium should mean Premium, in my opinion.
Premium means it costs more. See DIRECTV Premium TV.

Peacock Premium includes content not available in the free tier.
Peacock Premium Plus includes additional content and "no ads".

81 - 100 of 132 Posts