DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:

Does anyone know why D* network would be able to offer Jackson, MS, locals within my zip code while D* tv will not? It seems like the same Nielson markets would apply to every company. Could they be using different maps or market searching software? Just a question.

Currently, I am listed as Greenwood/Greenville (MS) DMA. Just thought I would see if someone could enlighten me to the different. The CSRs couldn't.

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
Neither D* nor E* has the capacity to carry locals for all DMAs. Once you get into the lower part of the list each has chosen some which the other does not offer. Perhaps some of this was intentional to get a competitive edge.

If the purchase of Directv by Echostar had been allowed to go through a few years back, there probably would have been adequate bandwidth for all DMAs in SD plus a lot more HD with the combined assets of both companies.

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. However, I understand that D* and E* don't always carry the same lower markets, but how can E* call my zip code the Jackson, MS, market and D* call it the Greenwood/Greenvill, MS, market. That's where it doesn't make sense to me.

You would think that they wouldn't be able to randomly choose viewing markets like that :confused:

· Hall Of Fame
5,581 Posts
krkeeton said:
Thanks for the information. However, I understand that D* and E* don't always carry the same lower markets, but how can E* call my zip code the Jackson, MS, market and D* call it the Greenwood/Greenvill, MS, market. That's where it doesn't make sense to me.

You would think that they wouldn't be able to randomly choose viewing markets like that :confused:
Why do you think E* has been ordered to turn off some customers locals? They didn't follow the law, directv has so far done it correctly or not been caught.:)

· Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
I believe that DirecTV and Dish Network can use any Nielsen DMA map, from 1999 to present.

I think your county may have been in the Jackson DMA in the early 2000's. DirecTV has not chosen that map, but another one which puts you squarely in the Greenwood/Greenville DMA.

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess chosing a map that doesn't allow people in the MS delta to receive local stations allows them to receive more customers from other markets where the maps are more beneficial.

· Icon
596 Posts
krkeeton,

I just saw this thread. Which county in the Delta do you live?

I know that some northern counties in the Jackson market were not allowed to have DirecTV locals because the spotbeam they live on doesn't quite cover the whole market. This means that Issaqueena, Sharkey, Yazoo, Holmes, Humphries, Leake, and Attala counties aren't allowed to receive locals at all.

However, since Dish Network's spot covers the entire state, all the Jackson market counties are covered.

I am a DirecTV subscriber, but personally think they didn't plan their spotbeam coverage as well as they should have. Had they extended it another 20-25 miles north, people in the counties above could get DirecTV locals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.