DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked Dish about this when service was initiated, but we live in a fairly rural area with no local stations of our own. We have been lumped into a local station market to our south rather than to our west and north. I always watched stations from our west and north when we had an antenna.

Our local news carries all the wrong Congressional District news because our district is also to our west and north.

Is there any way to get Dish to put us in a different geographic local channel area?

Thanks!

·
Hall Of Fame
3,474 Posts
In short, no. You live where you live, and based on market boundaries, you get what you get. Dish has no control over those market boundaries, which are supposed to be designed to reflect where you are most likely to shop for stuff.

Some folks think that it's okay to lie to Dish about their address, "moving" their service address to a phony spot in the market they prefer. (Note that if you move it too far, you'll be out of range of the relevant spot beam anyway.) Other folks think that it's wrong to lie just to get different TV stations.

A better alternative is to get that antenna back up, or even to buy a better one. Then you'd get the stations you want plus the stations from the nearby market that claims you.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,190 Posts
The markets are known as DMA's, they are based on zip codes and counties. Perhaps you live on the border of 2 DMA's, and unfortunatley you zipcode put you in the "wrong" DMA.

Care to share the name of the cities that these TV stations are form and/or your county?

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Michael P said:
The markets are known as DMA's, they are based on zip codes and counties. Perhaps you live on the border of 2 DMA's, and unfortunatley you zipcode put you in the "wrong" DMA.

Care to share the name of the cities that these TV stations are form and/or your county?
Hello! Thanks for the replies. I temporarily fell off the earth and had to search for this thread to see if there were any replies.

I live in northern DeSoto County, 52 miles north of Ft Myers, FL (Lee County) and 50 miles east of Sarasota. I never shop in Ft Myers. I moved to this area from Bradenton/Sarasota area and my family lives there. The local news for Naples and Ft Myers is of no interest to me and our candidates aren't even covered on the local news. Ft Myers and Port Charlotte will have Joe Negron as their candidate, but Mark Foley on their ballot. There is no coverage for the candidates for our district but the local station just blurbed that they will be covering some traffic concerns in Naples! Naples is 93.5 miles south of me and Tampa is 92 miles north of me. My son lives in Tampa and I have family in St Pete and Palmetto...all north.:(

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
I am in a similar situation in Vero Beach. Our locals are out of WPB, yet our congressman covers the area to the north of WPB and isn't really covered at all on WPB stations. Of course we get lots of Foley coverage here and all the political ads for his district. We're stuck though by the DMA designation. (DMA stands for Designated Market Area). I'd rather be in Orlando.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Freckles said:
Hello! Thanks for the replies. I temporarily fell off the earth and had to search for this thread to see if there were any replies.

I live in northern DeSoto County, 52 miles north of Ft Myers, FL (Lee County) and 50 miles east of Sarasota. I never shop in Ft Myers. I moved to this area from Bradenton/Sarasota area and my family lives there. The local news for Naples and Ft Myers is of no interest to me and our candidates aren't even covered on the local news. Ft Myers and Port Charlotte will have Joe Negron as their candidate, but Mark Foley on their ballot. There is no coverage for the candidates for our district but the local station just blurbed that they will be covering some traffic concerns in Naples! Naples is 93.5 miles south of me and Tampa is 92 miles north of me. My son lives in Tampa and I have family in St Pete and Palmetto...all north.:(
You're in a tough location. Sarasota is a market within a market (Tampa). They only have one station, an ABC affiliate, while Tampa has their own ABC affiliate. So, E* doesn't even bother to carry the Sarasota station. That leaves you between Ft. Myers & Tampa - and you are much closer to Ft. Myers.

Richard King said:
I am in a similar situation in Vero Beach. Our locals are out of WPB, yet our congressman covers the area to the north of WPB and isn't really covered at all on WPB stations. Of course we get lots of Foley coverage here and all the political ads for his district. We're stuck though by the DMA designation. (DMA stands for Designated Market Area). I'd rather be in Orlando.
I'm in the Orlando market, and don't hear too much coverage for Vero. I would think Ch. 34 out of Ft. Pierce would at least cover your area, but I can't get that station and don't know.

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
saltrek said:
You're in a tough location. Sarasota is a market within a market (Tampa). They only have one station, an ABC affiliate, while Tampa has their own ABC affiliate. So, E* doesn't even bother to carry the Sarasota station. That leaves you between Ft. Myers & Tampa - and you are much closer to Ft. Myers.

I'm in the Orlando market, and don't hear too much coverage for Vero. I would think Ch. 34 out of Ft. Pierce would at least cover your area, but I can't get that station and don't know.
Well, Thanks for the info. I guess the suggestion to get the antenna up is the best option at this point. I wish Dish would give us the opportunity to select our viewing area from one of our surrounding DMAs. It is frustrating that we can't get what we consider to be our local stations.

I shop in Sarasota, Bradenton, Ellenton, and Brandon, so the DMA is "off" for me...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.