DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mentor
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just logged into my DirecTV account and there was a message stating that the way local channels in my zip code were broadcast is changing and that I could call and ask for a FREE upgrade.
Does anyone have information what this might be about?

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
alacazam said:
I just logged into my DirecTV account and there was a message stating that the way local channels in my zip code were broadcast is changing and that I could call and ask for a FREE upgrade.
What is your zip code? Are you SD or HD?

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
Chances are you were not getting your actual local channels and you were getting a neighboring markets locals. You should now be getting some, if not all, of your DMA's channels now.

·
Premium Member
11,401 Posts
alacazam said:
The message may be a error. My system is connected to a Slimline-5S (SWM). I received the same message in my account months ago. When I called DirecTV and inquired I was told the message did not apply to me and to ignore it. The message stayed on my account for several months before it was removed.

·
Icon
843 Posts
Ive never really seen so much kaos in local channels before

Directv has been doing the wrong flyers and emails for years.....

Last summer all of my brand new installs got letters stating that their system was out of date and would lose their local channels if they didnt get the upgrade.......ya right, cause the brand new swm system that just got installed was out dated.......ok whatever. Took many phone calls over this ordeal for no reason.

Directv REALLY needs to TRAIN their customer service employees. Makes them look like complete idiots.

I called in because i was curious what corp charges for 2 HD DVR and 2 HD system. Several CSR's and the supervisor were telling me there were up charges for the 2nd DVR and the 2nd HD box and that we were not in a mpeg 4 market. I explained each time that there was no way that we do SD receivers in this area due to locals only being in HD. They told me i was wrong several times and insisted on large amount of upgrade fees to get 4 HD receivers and DVRs. Wow, really so i thought i would try another MPEG 4 zip code and they told me the same thing. Even the supervisor got back on the phone and told me there is no way to get 4 free HD receivers....um....ok i wasn't really sure what to say to that..... If the upper management doesn't know how to build an account i really don't know how ANYONE gets directv installed at all......

And then just recently directv hired companies to be at Sams club, Walmart and Menards, they too had the same training and were selling SD receivers to the customers signing up at Sams club, i watched the guy do it. OMFG!!! Get a clue directv!!

·
Mentor
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This might be the problem. I live in zip 62526 and the Slimline Dish with SWM setup also. I have been receiving my correct locals since I subscribed. I thought maybe they were moving my locals from the current satellite to another satellite.
I could call but their CSR's probably don't know as much as most people here know.

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
Jodean said:
Ive never really seen so much kaos in local channels before

Directv has been doing the wrong flyers and emails for years.....

Last summer all of my brand new installs got letters stating that their system was out of date and would lose their local channels if they didnt get the upgrade.......ya right, cause the brand new swm system that just got installed was out dated.......ok whatever. Took many phone calls over this ordeal for no reason.

Directv REALLY needs to TRAIN their customer service employees. Makes them look like complete idiots.

I called in because i was curious what corp charges for 2 HD DVR and 2 HD system. Several CSR's and the supervisor were telling me there were up charges for the 2nd DVR and the 2nd HD box and that we were not in a mpeg 4 market. I explained each time that there was no way that we do SD receivers in this area due to locals only being in HD. They told me i was wrong several times and insisted on large amount of upgrade fees to get 4 HD receivers and DVRs. Wow, really so i thought i would try another MPEG 4 zip code and they told me the same thing. Even the supervisor got back on the phone and told me there is no way to get 4 free HD receivers....um....ok i wasn't really sure what to say to that..... If the upper management doesn't know how to build an account i really don't know how ANYONE gets directv installed at all......

And then just recently directv hired companies to be at Sams club, Walmart and Menards, they too had the same training and were selling SD receivers to the customers signing up at Sams club, i watched the guy do it. OMFG!!! Get a clue directv!!
I really don't know how you expect anyone to understand your posts at all.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,588 Posts
Shades228 said:
You're in the Chmpagne/Springfield DMA which is a 72 market. So you need to get HD equipment before you lose your locals.
Shades is correct, you need to make sure that all of your receivers are HR2x or H2x models (High Def DVRs or High Def receivers). If you have any older standard def DVRs or receivers call DirecTV to have them swapped out for free to HD equivalents. Doing so will not start any new commitment to DirecTV. You have to do this in order to continue getting your local stations on all of your TVs. Otherwise your standard def receivers will no longer be able to tune in your local channels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.