DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Winegard MP1 satellite that I got for this year, I am using an D12MP-700 receiver. The dish is equivilent to an 18" round.

I can align/setup it no problem on 101 sat. I used thesetup for 18" round with multiswitch, but plug the dish directly into the receiver.

I am told that I can also aim it at 119 to pick up locals (my zipcode is 25701, i am not traveling out of town to tailgate). I go coordinates off of an iphone app and changed the setup to 3lnb 18"x20" so I could see a 119(b) signal meter and have 90+%.

My question is 'now what'? the receiver will not complete the setup either as an 18" round or 3lnb 18x20. How do I finish the setup and watch locals?

Thank you for any help!
Sean

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Issue solved.

This is what I did to make the channels on the 119 Directv satellite work on my Winegard MP1, but this would presumably also work for anyone wanting to point a regular 18" round dish at 119 to get locals.

Note: with these types of dishes, you will only be able to point at one satellite at a time.

First I have been able to point my dish at the 101 satellite with no problem. I went through the setup and choose Dish 01: 18" Round and option 02: Multiswitch. Went through the rest of the setup, got a good signal on the signal meter and let everything load. The problem with trying to get locals is that not only can you not get a signal meter for 119 on the 18" round setup screen, but when the program guide downloads, there will also be no locals shown at all in the guide.

So I switched the dish type to 02: 3 LNB 18" x 20" with option 02: Multiswitch and went to the signal meter screen. This unlocks the 101, 110 & 119 satellite dishes. Completing the setup shows good signal for all the satellites, but it is a 'false positive'. When completing setup, my channel 3 (NBC) now shows in my guide, but the channel actually playing is a movie channel. So I downloaded an iphone app to get the new pointing directions for 119 for my zipcode (you can also get these online at places like dishpointer.com and other sites i am sure). My new coordinates were about 10 degrees less elevation & 20 degrees further west (I am in WV). I was able to use the on screen signal meter to tune it into a strong signal and when I completed everything, viola! there was my channel 3, playing the proper local programming.

I had searched the net for a few days looking for an instructional like this to get locals on Directv by pointing at satellite 119 with only an 18" dish. So I thought I would type this out so hopefully someone elses google search comes across this thread.

Good luck and Go Herd!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.