DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tuned to the guide and noticed 2 HD channels, NBC & CBS. Pretty psyched about this but I dont' see CBS HD OR FOX HD.

I am pretty sure my area falls into the Providence release but I could be mistaken. I live in Fairhaven, MA (near cape).

Is this typical for those who have OTA and what are the chances I will see CBS and FOX in HD in the future?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
pferry said:
I just tuned to the guide and noticed 2 HD channels, NBC & CBS. Pretty psyched about this but I dont' see CBS HD OR FOX HD.

I am pretty sure my area falls into the Providence release but I could be mistaken. I live in Fairhaven, MA (near cape).

Is this typical for those who have OTA and what are the chances I will see CBS and FOX in HD in the future?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by OTA. Are you in an area where DTV supplies HD locals; if so, that is why you see the 2 HD stations. If you're saying you are receiving the HD networks via a separate antenna; then you are alone, since OtA hasn't been enabled on the HR20 yet.

Please confirm. Thanks....

Oh, and welcome to the forum.:welcome_s

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Got my hopes up from the title :(
Yeah, I know what you mean.

BTW, Poit.....you've been helpful to me since I've joined the forum and I'd like to say THANKS.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vinny said:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by OTA. Are you in an area where DTV supplies HD locals; if so, that is why you see the 2 HD stations. If you're saying you are receiving the HD networks via a separate antenna; then you are alone, since OtA hasn't been enabled on the HR20 yet.

Please confirm. Thanks....

Oh, and welcome to the forum.:welcome_s
I do not have an off-air antenna. I just turned my HR20 today and I had 2 HD local channels. Never had HD locals before, so that why I said OTA enabled in my area, is that correct?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
pferry said:
I do not have an off-air antenna. I just turned my HR20 today and I had 2 HD local channels. Never had HD locals before, so that why I said OTA enabled in my area, is that correct?
Not entirely correct, no. You got your HD locals activated, unrelated to OTA.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
pferry said:
If you don't have an over the air antenna, then you are receiving the HD locals via DTV and your satellite dish.

The OTA HD Locals that are referenced here means you would receive the broadcast HD locals via an Over The Air antenna in your area,

I hope I clarified.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
jkc120 said:
You might want to change the topic of this post if you can (or perhaps mod can), so people don't get their hopes up based on the title. :rolleyes:
Yes Please! No Thanksgiving surprise followed by Thanksgiving disappointment. :(

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
jkc120 said:
You might want to change the topic of this post if you can (or perhaps mod can), so people don't get their hopes up based on the title. :rolleyes:
I agree.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PoitNarf said:
Not entirely correct, no. You got your HD locals activated, unrelated to OTA.
Sorry about that. I had an OTA antenna before I got the HR20 but only received CBS HD & WB HD, all the others were too far away I guess.

So what is everyone actually waiting for via OTA? Is it going to be easier to receive OTA signals?

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
PoitNarf said:
That may still be the case for many of us tomorrow depending on who is cooking your bird :lol:
I'm cooking it, so if it's not like Lampoon's Christmas Vacation I'll be stoked. :)
Breast down everybody! Breast down! It's much more tender that way! :)

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
pferry said:
Sorry about that. I had an OTA antenna before I got the HR20 but only received CBS HD & WB HD, all the others were too far away I guess.

So what is everyone actually waiting for via OTA? Is it going to be easier to receive OTA signals?
Everyone is waiting for the OTA tuner on the HR20 to be enabled. Right now it is not, so we're stuck with only the channels that come from the satellite dish.

The OTA tuner in the HR20 is supposedly very good, so it may be better in helping lock onto an OTA channel for you, but if you couldn't receive an OTA channel before you probably still won't be able to with the HR20s OTA tuner.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
No prob. What some of us are waiting for is the ability to integrate OTA HD local signals into the HR-20 (ie being able to record from OTA). This is especially important for small markets like Boise where locals are probably a bit far away timewise before we'll get them through the satellite. Also some claim their OTA signals are either better quality or will/may have fewer issues than the MPEG-4 versions currently coming through satellite.

EDIT: <<< Yeah - what PoitNarf said - again :)

pferry said:

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok now that I am clear on the HD Local vs OTA.

Is it likely that these will be the only 2 Local HD channels I will get or should I expect more shortly? like FOX and CBS?

·
Legend
109 Posts
pferry said:
Ok now that I am clear on the HD Local vs OTA.

Is it likely that these will be the only 2 Local HD channels I will get or should I expect more shortly? like FOX and CBS?
Depends on how fast your locals are willing to negotiate with D*... we've got one station here we've been waiting for about 4 months. (CBS)

-Chuck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.